Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Sat, Oct 25, 2014 10:59am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 17, 2012 1:16pm 
Supah Stah

I was told it was 2010 was the last year for ebony. Is that true.

I played a 2012 at Sam Ash and it had a Richlite fretboard. It looked like a chalkboard. I couldn't spend that kind of cash on a guitar with a synthetic fretboard.

Marshall JVM 210H / Fryette Ultra-Lead / Diezel Herbert / Mesa Triple Rectifier Multi-Watt / EVH 5150 III 50w

Mills Acoustics (2) / EVH

Great Transactions - Click Here:
http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=64423

Ineptocracy - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 17, 2012 1:20pm 
Rock God

Is this for real?! :confused:

:doh:

[/world]

Other: Custom pedalboards, Evidence Audio cables

My References (i.e., "Good/Bad Transactions" Thread): viewtopic.php?f=19&t=108175

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 17, 2012 2:05pm 
Immortal Rock God

mhenson42 wrote:
I was told it was 2010 was the last year for ebony. Is that true.

I played a 2012 at Sam Ash and it had a Richlite fretboard. It looked like a chalkboard. I couldn't spend that kind of cash on a guitar with a synthetic fretboard.

Is that Fo Real? So you spend $4000 for a Les Paul Custom and you don't even get Ebony anymore? WOW Gibson WTF?

Some people do confuse the Custom Classic for the regular Custom. The Custom Classis has the roasted maple, I owned one but sold it since I'm just not comfortable on Les Paul's anymore.

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 17, 2012 2:11pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I thought it was on 2012 models.

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 17, 2012 2:17pm 
Supah Stah

It was a custom, not a custom classic. Here's a link to their web-site where it says it has Richlite board....

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electri ... ustom.aspx

Richlite is described as....

Quote:
Richlite is a dense material made from partially recycled paper and phenolic resin. Phenolic resin is made of formeldahyde and phenol. Individually, these are potent chemicals, but create a harmless, inert substance when combined. The paper is soaked in phenolic resin, then molded and baked into net shape in a heated form or press.

The paper used by Richlite is certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC), a global non-profit organization devoted to encouraging and monitoring responsible management of the world's forests. This adds to the sustainability of Richlite, as it comes from readily renewable wood resources, managed in a way that allows for growth to exceed harvest by 47% in North America.

Richlite is also certified for indoor use in residential, school and institutional environments by GREENGUARD Environmental Institute and under NSF Standard 51.

Originally distributed as a commercial kitchen surface in the 1950s, it has recently been adapted for use in skateboard parks (e.g., "Skatelite"), as well as various other applications, such as residential counters, fiberglass cores and limited architectural applications. Richlite is an alternative to Corian and granite counter tops

Marshall JVM 210H / Fryette Ultra-Lead / Diezel Herbert / Mesa Triple Rectifier Multi-Watt / EVH 5150 III 50w

Ineptocracy - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 17, 2012 2:21pm 
Immortal Rock God

I just saw a thread on the LP forum...............lame! But at least if Gibson ever decides to sue PRS again then Paul can show the judge that PRS uses actual wood. :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 17, 2012 2:21pm 
Supah Stah

zewango wrote:
I thought it was on 2012 models.

Maybe it's 2012 for the Richlite.

Maybe I'm thinking I read in 2011 they changed the fretboard to a thin ebony veneer ply. I was told that I wanted a 2010 model or before, but I'm just checking.

I'm in the market for a LP and there's a few nice ones I've found, but I want to make sure I know what I'm buying....and price accordingly.

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 17, 2012 2:29pm 
Supah Stah

You can thank the Fed's for this. They seem to only be concerned with what wood Gibson uses. If you like this type of "help" from the government, vote democrat.

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 17, 2012 2:41pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

tone woods go bye bye-

Bob Taylor, founder of Taylor Guitars. “In our generation, we’ll see the disappearance of some well-loved species. Even if they don’t become extinct, they’ll become extinct commercially.”

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 17, 2012 3:04pm 
Rock God

I have actually seen pretty good reviews on the richlite fretboard, that is what they used on Gibson Midtown custom, but that is about half the price of an LP custom.

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 17, 2012 3:30pm 
Apprentice NOOB

chunktone wrote:
You can thank the Fed's for this. They seem to only be concerned with what wood Gibson uses. If you like this type of "help" from the government, vote democrat.

:thumbsup: Exactly. The Obama Adminstration and the jackbooted EPA confiscated all their ebony claiming it was obtained illegally. It wasn't. Countries like India and other nations that harvest ebony and other tonewoods have been able to get our government to work provisions into the Lacey Act to force companies like Gibson to hire workers in those countries to "finish" the wood before it is exported - essentially "sending jobs overseas". So, because Gibson doesn't use union labor after leaving Michigan, they have a big target on their backs from this president/Democrats. No other guitar maker was forced to hand over it's ebony. I have a feeling that once this president has been shown the exit and common sense re-enters EPA policies, they'll start using ebony again.

"I want...what they want. And every other guy, who came over here and spilled his guts...and gave everything he had. Once....for our country to love us....as much as we...love it..........That's what I want." - John Rambo

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 17, 2012 3:36pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

It was definitely within the last year or so.

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 17, 2012 3:38pm 
Immortal Rock God

chunktone wrote:

Watch the video that Lester just posted and you'll realize how misinformed you really are.

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 17, 2012 3:39pm 
Supah Stah

After the raid maybe??? So there could be some 2012 LP Customs with real ebony boards???

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 17, 2012 3:43pm 
Immortal Rock God

IceMan wrote:
chunktone wrote:

:thumbsup: Exactly. The Obama Adminstration and the jackbooted EPA confiscated all their ebony claiming it was obtained illegally. It wasn't. Countries like India and other nations that harvest ebony and other tonewoods have been able to get our government to work provisions into the Lacey Act to force companies like Gibson to hire workers in those countries to "finish" the wood before it is exported - essentially "sending jobs overseas". So, because Gibson doesn't use union labor after leaving Michigan, they have a big target on their backs from this president/Democrats. No other guitar maker was forced to hand over it's ebony. I have a feeling that once this president has been shown the exit and common sense re-enters EPA policies, they'll start using ebony again.

Where'd they get it from? Do you have the paperwork/facts to support Gibson on this? I imagine Gibson uses more Ebony than anyone else thus the target. Who else besides Jackson uses a lot of Ebony? Fender doesn't, some Ibanez but not many.

You guys just want the big company to go out and get the Ebony and it seems like you could care less where it comes from and how much of it is left.

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 17, 2012 3:55pm 
Apprentice NOOB

danyeo wrote:
IceMan wrote:
chunktone wrote:

Where'd they get it from? Do you have the paperwork/facts to support Gibson on this? I imagine Gibson uses more Ebony than anyone else thus the target. Who else besides Jackson uses a lot of Ebony? Fender doesn't, some Ibanez but not many.

You guys just want the big company to go out and get the Ebony and it seems like you could care less where it comes from and how much of it is left.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/2012/ ... gered-wood
"This allows us to get back to the business of making guitars," he said, noting that the settlement would allow them to continue sourcing rosewood and ebony from India as it has for decades."

This is all politics and money - conservation has little to do with it.

"I want...what they want. And every other guy, who came over here and spilled his guts...and gave everything he had. Once....for our country to love us....as much as we...love it..........That's what I want." - John Rambo

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 17, 2012 4:31pm 
Supah Stah

danyeo wrote:
chunktone wrote:

Watch the video that Lester just posted and you'll realize how misinformed you really are.

That's an old video, and yes I have seen it. If being "informed" means believing the government is out for the good of the people, or anything other than power and control, then I hope to never be as enlightened as you. :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 17, 2012 4:41pm 
Rock God

Oh, how I fondly recall my childhood days playing under the Richlite tree...

I guess when the Feds take all your ebony, you improvise :confused:

Last edited by rupe on Fri, Aug 17, 2012 4:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 17, 2012 4:42pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

chunktone wrote:

+1000

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 17, 2012 5:57pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

So they replace ebony with paper machet?? Shouldn't the price of the guitars come down accordingly

'01 EBMM Axis
'09 Charvel USA San Dimas Seasick

Great transactions with: Londaxe (James), Schaf (Kevin), gbsmusic (Greg) Drewiv, 50nipafp (Chad), Metlupass2, Geese_com, boneyard, EVHpickdust, Racerxrated, Roodyrocker

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 17, 2012 6:18pm 
Apprentice NOOB

AndyK wrote:
So they replace ebony with paper machet?? Shouldn't the price of the guitars come down accordingly

Precisely - In the video Taylor even says that since they are using the "less perfect" ebony - it's now 10 times more abundent. So, what he and others are doing is propagating the myth that ebony is rarer than it really is while at the same time getting cheaper ebony to use on his guitars and still get the premium price. It's the same thing the diamond industry does. Convince everyone they are super-rare so you can charge an arm-and-leg for them. If ebony is so rare, why can you get it on a $400 Carvin Bolt kit guitar?? Listen - I'm not saying we shouldn't be cognizant of how we manage our resources like trees - but there is a balance between scorched-earth logging and not wanting to use wood for anything (as some nutty tree-huggers want). But with common sense management, there's no reason we can't still get great wood for use in building amazing instruments without using crazy government tactics to reward some, and punish others - based on politics and payolla.

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 17, 2012 6:21pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

they started using Richlite I think in late 2011. I personally wouldn't own one. A Custom has to have an ebony board for me anyway.

I think maybe now that Gibson has settled with the government, and will get the confiscated woods returned they'll drop the chemical epoxy and pulp boards... ;)

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 17, 2012 7:25pm 
Supah Stah

It's not just Gibson, and it's not just electrics. When I was recently in the market for a mid-level acoustic, I ultimately picked a Talor 416CE because of the fretboard material. Surprisingly, the Martin's in that price range had Richlite and you had to get above $2,000 for real wood. I just couldn't see spending that kind of money on something with a Richlite board. The 416CE has ebony :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 17, 2012 7:34pm 
Immortal Rock God

chunktone wrote:
danyeo wrote:
chunktone wrote:

That's an old video, and yes I have seen it. If being "informed" means believing the government is out for the good of the people, or anything other than power and control, then I hope to never be as enlightened as you. :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

Make sure you keep your torch and pitchfork handy when the Democrats come knocking. Of course, this would never of happened if Bush were still in office.

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 17, 2012 7:40pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Like I said in another thread, I think the Black Les Paul Customs are awesome guitars, but I could never own a Les Paul that doesn't have either Rosewood (not Granadillo) or Ebony. It's very unfortunate and I hope that Gibson can continue to use Ebony in the near future, even if it's spotted. I have no issue with the spotted ebony and I'm sure that it can be stained to look naturally black.

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 17, 2012 7:42pm 
Immortal Rock God

IceMan wrote:
danyeo wrote:
IceMan wrote:
chunktone wrote:

http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/2012/ ... gered-wood
"This allows us to get back to the business of making guitars," he said, noting that the settlement would allow them to continue sourcing rosewood and ebony from India as it has for decades."

This is all politics and money - conservation has little to do with it.

That story is full of holes and leaves out a ton. I can't read that and really have a grip on what happened. If they can continue to source the ebony then why are they using Richlite? How much are they sourcing and how much are they actually allowed to take under the laws? Lot's of numbers here that were not being told. I'll take a guess and say they were probably hoarding a lot more than what the guidelines allow, but I doubt the powers that be in India really care. You're right about the money end of it, but believing that it's just a Democratic witch hunt to get Gibson sounds a bit much.

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 17, 2012 7:44pm 
Immortal Rock God

Zap wrote:
Like I said in another thread, I think the Black Les Paul Customs are awesome guitars, but I could never own a Les Paul that doesn't have either Rosewood (not Granadillo) or Ebony. It's very unfortunate and I hope that Gibson can continue to use Ebony in the near future, even if it's spotted. I have no issue with the spotted ebony and I'm sure that it can be stained to look naturally black.

Just buy a used one. If Gibson stopped making Customs today there's still plenty of them hanging in every Guitar Center across the Country. But the prices would skyrocket on an already overpriced guitar.

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 17, 2012 8:19pm 
Supah Stah

danyeo wrote:
chunktone wrote:
danyeo wrote:
chunktone wrote:

Make sure you keep your torch and pitchfork handy when the Democrats come knocking. Of course, this would never of happened if Bush were still in office.

Well, at least we both agree things were much better under Bush.

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 17, 2012 8:35pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Well I guess we all knew this would happen after a few raids at Gibson and all the other stuff about rare/exotic woods, I always said they should just go to maple fretboards for some and then one appeared at GC, purple flame-top, gold hardware, maple fretboard, one of thecoolest LP I have ever seen. More stuff like that and it wont bother us as much about the ebony. And FWIW I doubt the Pres even knew about the raids til after, hopefully he had more important things to do, everything is not his fault :D .

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 17, 2012 8:45pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

why would anybody buy a new $4000 gibson anyway?
that's why the used market is getting more and more expensive
we keep buying overpriced new gibsons with shady materials and they keep raising the prices
a few years ago, I could buy a freaking original silverburst for $1500 on gbase or ebay, now any used lp custom goes over $2200 cause the new ones are expensive as fuck

oh
and there's also the new acrylic block inlays, instead of real mother of pearl
now we can't even tell the difference between a real gibson and a $200 chinese copy

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 17, 2012 8:57pm 
Rock God

I just got a new Custom shop custom. Came with an ebony board. It's for sale in the classifieds.

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 17, 2012 9:08pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Rezamatix wrote:
I just got a new Custom shop custom. Came with an ebony board. It's for sale in the classifieds.

Shameless plug,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ok, I'll check it out :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 17, 2012 10:41pm 
Wannabe a Supah Stah

You'd have to be retarded to pay $4000 to 5000 for a new lp custom that doesn't even have correct spec with the paper and resin faux ebony board when you can find mint used customs from the 90's to early 2000's for like 2k give or take a few hundred. I just picked up a custom authentic pre vos 68ri for $2200 on eBay and probably could have gotten it even cheaper if I haggled outside of eBay. One piece body, one piece neck and an ebony board. There was a nice 73 in black for 2400 in great condition, and many other nice deals. Gibsons recent lack of proper spec and quality control along with jacked up prices keep me convinced I will only buy used.

PostPosted: Sat, Aug 18, 2012 9:33am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

danyeo wrote:
chunktone wrote:

you might want to inform yourself. Chunk is 100% correct. The democrats and behind this. Them and their union lobby.

PostPosted: Sat, Aug 18, 2012 10:33am 
Immortal Rock God

joepete77 wrote:
You'd have to be retarded to pay $4000 to 5000 for a new lp custom that doesn't even have correct spec with the paper and resin faux ebony board when you can find mint used customs from the 90's to early 2000's for like 2k give or take a few hundred. I just picked up a custom authentic pre vos 68ri for $2200 on eBay and probably could have gotten it even cheaper if I haggled outside of eBay. One piece body, one piece neck and an ebony board. There was a nice 73 in black for 2400 in great condition, and many other nice deals. Gibsons recent lack of proper spec and quality control along with jacked up prices keep me convinced I will only buy used.

Some good prices on ebay if you look around. late 70's/early 80's LP's in the low 2's are a hell of a deal, compared to the new stuff. If I were inclined though to pay 4-5K for a new Les Paul, you can bet that sonofabitch will say Nik Huber on the headstock.... :D

Steve

Without coffee - I can be a dick....

PostPosted: Sat, Aug 18, 2012 11:08am 
Rock God

Ebony looks nice but its an absolutely shit tone wood for an electric guitar. I love my old Les Paul Custom but I have no doubt that it would sound better with a rosewood board. If an electric guitar with an ebony board sounds great, its in spite of the ebony, not because of it. Acoustics are a different story.

PostPosted: Sat, Aug 18, 2012 11:19am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

rupe wrote:
Ebony looks nice but its an absolutely shit tone wood for an electric guitar. I love my old Les Paul Custom but I have no doubt that it would sound better with a rosewood board. If an electric guitar with an ebony board sounds great, its in spite of the ebony, not because of it. Acoustics are a different story.

It probably would sound better with a different cap or pickup too ;) I think you are only person I ever heard say ebony is a shitty tone wood. it may not be the case on every body wood type but in my experiments with swapping necks I found ebony can work better than maple. I tried it on two different strat type of guitars, a mahogany body with maple top and an ash body. I like ebony over maple on mahogany/maple body but liked maple over ebony on the ash body. Granted there are modest differences between the two but I honestly doubt guitar company's would be using ebony if it were a shit tone wood.

PostPosted: Sat, Aug 18, 2012 12:24pm 
Rock God

rupe wrote:

What don't you like about the tone of an ebony fretboard on a LP custom? Have you tried one with Ritchlite to compare?

PostPosted: Sat, Aug 18, 2012 3:20pm 
Immortal Rock God

chunktone wrote:
danyeo wrote:
chunktone wrote:
danyeo wrote:
chunktone wrote:

It was like this...Bush had a stick of Dynamite in his hands, lit the fuse, and ran and watched it blow up in Obama's face. However, I doubt things would be any different no matter who was in office then, or now. Both parties make me sick at this point.

PostPosted: Sat, Aug 18, 2012 3:22pm 
Immortal Rock God

thenine wrote:
danyeo wrote:
chunktone wrote:

you might want to inform yourself. Chunk is 100% correct. The democrats and behind this. Them and their union lobby.

But you know if Republicans were in office and this went down the Democrats would be the first one's to side with Gibson. Politics as usual and their best interests aren't what benefit you or me.

PostPosted: Sat, Aug 18, 2012 4:00pm 
Rock God

Quote:
I think you are only person I ever heard say ebony is a shitty tone wood.

I've read similar comments from others over the years on the forums.

Last edited by Shiny_Surface on Sat, Aug 18, 2012 4:41pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat, Aug 18, 2012 4:13pm 
Immortal Rock God

Shawn Lutz wrote:
It probably would sound better with a different cap or pickup too ;) I think you are only person I ever heard say ebony is a shitty tone wood. it may not be the case on every body wood type but in my experiments with swapping necks I found ebony can work better than maple. I tried it on two different strat type of guitars, a mahogany body with maple top and an ash body. I like ebony over maple on mahogany/maple body but liked maple over ebony on the ash body. Granted there are modest differences between the two but I honestly doubt guitar company's would be using ebony if it were a shit tone wood.

Here's what Tom Anderson thinks about ebony:

http://www.andersonforum.com/board/show ... stcount=14

PostPosted: Sat, Aug 18, 2012 7:35pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

danyeo wrote:
chunktone wrote:
danyeo wrote:
chunktone wrote:
danyeo wrote:
chunktone wrote:

It was like this...Bush had a stick of Dynamite in his hands, lit the fuse, and ran and watched it blow up in Obama's face. However, I doubt things would be any different no matter who was in office then, or now. Both parties make me sick at this point.

This is hard to believe, but I actually agree with you on this!

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 19, 2012 12:13am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Code001 wrote:
Shawn Lutz wrote:

Here's what Tom Anderson thinks about ebony:

http://www.andersonforum.com/board/show ... stcount=14

I believe the man himself as I love every Anderson I put my hands on, albeit only handful. What he doesn't say is what body woods he was using ebony with. I can only base my opinion on what I heard on my mahogany/maple top and ash bodies switching between maple and ebony necks and I don't find ebony brittle sounding with mahogany/maple top, I prefer it over maple. I don't have any rosewood necks or FB's. I don't recall why I didnt like ebony with ash but I know liked maple better than ebony on that fiddle.

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 19, 2012 12:52am 
Rock God

Shawn Lutz wrote:
rupe wrote:

Tom Anderson is who I would have pointed you toward but somebody beat me to it. Rand Havener has said it as well. How many "A-list" famous players (who play with a tone that retains a great deal of dynamics) chose to use a LP Custom over a LP Standard? Not many. They sound very different but the only significant difference in their construction is the fretboard material...the rest is basically cosmetic.

And I disagree with your assertion on guitar companies. I think most of them are more concerned with what will sell, not what they think sounds the best. Having worked in music retail for many years, I can say with complete confidence that the vast majority of guitarists shop with their eyes instead of their ears...and ebony looks great.

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 19, 2012 12:59am 
Rock God

rupe wrote:
Shawn Lutz wrote:
rupe wrote:

Tom Anderson is who I would have pointed you toward but somebody beat me to it. Rand Havener has said it as well. How many "A-list" famous players (who play with a tone that retains a great deal of dynamics) chose to use a LP Custom over a LP Standard? Not many. They sound very different but the only significant difference in their construction is the fretboard material...the rest is basically cosmetic.

And I disagree with your assertion on guitar companies. I think most of them are more concerned with what will sell, not what they think sounds the best. Having worked in music retail for many years, I can say with complete confidence that the vast majority of guitarists shop with their eyes instead of their ears...and ebony looks great.

Maybe you have seen or played this guitar...

Parker made a LP type guitar in Korea. It was bubinga wood, very knotty figured top with clear coat. Has ebony plank and stainless frets. They were not popular. I got one used thru a local retailer friend saying this is a great guitar that is just not popular. I got it for $200. Coil tap knobs for the 2 buckers.

Like you said, by the ears it almost has tele clarity, just looks unusual.

So let it be written
So let it be done
To kill the first born pharaoh's son
I'm Creeping Death

Misc toys - guns, guitars, motorcycles, sports car.

Good Deals: Steve_k, just42dave, Dale B, King Guitar, Stratotone, Code001, Mindseye, Ventura, Collapsar, Kyle @ Rhodes Amps, ATL Guitar Center

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 19, 2012 1:08am 
Immortal Rock God

rupe wrote:
Shawn Lutz wrote:
rupe wrote:

Ebony is like playing with a with a fretboard made of Formica. Smooth and fast, easy to the physical touch. But, I got to say I generally like the feel and character of a good dark rosewood board. It seems to have a little more depth and flavor when digging in. Some woods just work better than others. There are some beautiful rosewoods out there to be had and they can be both comfortable to play and some serious eye candy.

I'm sort of on the fence, just depends on the guitar. But, I would opt for rosewood in a pinch.

Steve

Without coffee - I can be a dick....

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 19, 2012 2:55am 
Immortal Rock God

Shawn Lutz wrote:
I believe the man himself as I love every Anderson I put my hands on, albeit only handful. What he doesn't say is what body woods he was using ebony with. I can only base my opinion on what I heard on my mahogany/maple top and ash bodies switching between maple and ebony necks and I don't find ebony brittle sounding with mahogany/maple top, I prefer it over maple. I don't have any rosewood necks or FB's. I don't recall why I didnt like ebony with ash but I know liked maple better than ebony on that fiddle.

It's all personal preference. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Suhr offers ebony, so Anderson and Suhr obviously have some disagreements. Both of them dislike neck-thru designs, but Bernie Rico Jr is in love with them. Tyler hates floyds, but all of the aforementioned like them, albeit some like different brands more than others. Just buy what you like; there's plenty of room to enjoy everything the guitar market has to offer. :rock:

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 19, 2012 9:57am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

good point, its personal preferences and I agree Bill visual element is what initially draws a guitarist to an instrument, not the sound. I also find that in higher gain stuff the tone of fretboard differences are generally small where a lot of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between ebony, rosewood or maple anyway.

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 19, 2012 12:24pm 
Rock God

Shawn Lutz wrote:
I also find that in higher gain stuff the tone of fretboard differences are generally small where a lot of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between ebony, rosewood or maple anyway.

Absolutely...which is exactly why I think you see more ebony boards on guitars being played by "metal" guys than anywhere else. Its what I was alluding to when I mentioned that you rarely see a LP Custom being used by players "who play with a tone that retains a great deal of dynamics".