Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Sat, Nov 01, 2014 8:47am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 02, 2013 1:04pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Does it makes any difference? Do anybody knows what is on my American Standard strat 2012?

Fender Stratocaster American Standard, Fender Stratocaster Blacktop, PRS SE 245, Mesa Boogie Rectoverb, TC Electronic G-Major, Ibanez TS-808, SD-1, VS Route 808, Mark Tremonti signature Wah, Korg Tuner

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 02, 2013 1:05pm 
Supah Stah

Darker tone/Brighter tone

Anyone want to bitch about my clips put up your own and lets see the goods.

"LAST WARNING,,,,,,or get SLICED BY THE BLADEZ!!!!!!!!!!!"

The fake BillyBladez

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 02, 2013 1:09pm 
Rock God

A standard strat will have all 250k pots.

Basically as the pot value increases, the amount of brightness increases as well. Do a google search on this, there are a number of good sites that go into more detail.

Typically 250k pots are used with single coils and 500k pots are used with humbuckers. There are some les pauls that came with 300k pots, so nothing is set in stone.

Last edited by blackba on Wed, Jan 02, 2013 1:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 02, 2013 1:10pm 
Rock God Trainee

darker tone , decreased resonant peak value and energy.

"The humans will never destroy us!"

Great transactions with: Dexter Jackson, Pfapin05, Donbarzini, Ratter, Guitarslinger, Sixstring, Empire Prod, Motorpud, Iamthejoker,9841507,Ultron, Diagrammatiks, Juggernaut, studio289, Steve K., Dmtnt, Rhequiem, Craftm1, Red Witch, Reilly, Bucksears, ajr2454, Glip22, jabberwocker!, glassjaw7, Khoi, mizati20, ibanez4life SZ, Glide-on, Prime rib, Droptrd, Bwgintegra,Bognerluv,ben hur,TjSlice, Flizzo,Bronco, leib10, Vchizzle, Captain Stinko, Warhead78

WTF you reading this tiny shit for anyway?

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 02, 2013 1:29pm 
Plank Cranker

Most Hum/Sing/Sing guitars come with 250k pots. The Duncan JB was made to work well with a 250k pot thats why it's in so many guitars from the factory.

Since the Super Switch came out you can have a 500k pot for the Hum and have the two sing's see a 250k load. Best of both worlds for that set up...

Good deals with - RockStarNick - Lublin - Kidkramer71 - Guitarsignals - roodboy

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 03, 2013 4:51am 
Supah Stah

i love the stock gibby 300's. only if, i've just gotten so used to them and how they work in relation to my guitars/amps.

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 03, 2013 9:56am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I dig 250k pots in most guitars whether they have humbuckers and/or singles, although I do like the 300k pots in Gibsons and other "darker" guitars.
For my taste 500k pots usually seem a bit too harsh on the treble side. That being said, I have 500k pots in a beat up 80s LP studio and for that particular guitar they work well.

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 03, 2013 10:11am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I found that a Duncan JB with a 250 pot sounded a little weak. With a 500k pot, it was too harsh. However, after using a 500k pot and direct mounting the PU's the 500k was amazing!

VHT Pitbull CL100
Vox VT40+
TC Electronic BG250
Markbass CMD 102P
(2) Randall RM100's

Salvation MTS mods- Rockerverb, Mesa Mark IV, CCV

Peace & ZEN

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 03, 2013 4:41pm 
Supah Stah

the rossness wrote:
I found that a Duncan JB with a 250 pot sounded a little weak. With a 500k pot, it was too harsh. However, after using a 500k pot and direct mounting the PU's the 500k was amazing!

why do you think the direct mounting made such a difference?

was curious about this with one of my ibby RG axes. havent tried it yet though.

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 03, 2013 5:53pm 
Rock God

yeti wrote:
the rossness wrote:

I have a hard time believing that the direct mounting of the pickup is what made the difference...I'm guessing some other variable changed to give those results. A buddy and I did some pretty extensive testing back in '99 to determine if there was a tonal advantage to direct mounting a humbucker based on Eddie's comments about it. Bottom line is that there was no audible difference using multiple pickups of varying outputs (including a JB) across the gain spectrum.

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 03, 2013 9:02pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I hated the JB in my Kramer until I installed a 250k volume pot. Now it's smoothed out perfectly for my tastes. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 05, 2013 2:47pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

rupe wrote:
yeti wrote:
the rossness wrote:

I have a hard time believing that the direct mounting of the pickup is what made the difference...I'm guessing some other variable changed to give those results. A buddy and I did some pretty extensive testing back in '99 to determine if there was a tonal advantage to direct mounting a humbucker based on Eddie's comments about it. Bottom line is that there was no audible difference using multiple pickups of varying outputs (including a JB) across the gain spectrum.

I know he caught a lot of flack online, but take a look at the build options on Ed Roman's custom shop page. He mentions that a direct mounted pickup will sound sweeter and have better sustain without being as spikey as using a PU ring or a pickguard.

VHT Pitbull CL100
Vox VT40+
TC Electronic BG250
Markbass CMD 102P
(2) Randall RM100's

Peace & ZEN

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 05, 2013 5:35pm 
Rock God

the rossness wrote:
rupe wrote:
yeti wrote:
the rossness wrote:

I know he caught a lot of flack online, but take a look at the build options on Ed Roman's custom shop page. He mentions that a direct mounted pickup will sound sweeter and have better sustain without being as spikey as using a PU ring or a pickguard.

You just helped reaffirm my findings...most of what Ed Roman said was a load of crap. We could start an entire thread on Ed's false statements and counterfeit guitars.

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 06, 2013 6:31am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

rupe wrote:
the rossness wrote:
rupe wrote:
yeti wrote:
the rossness wrote:

You just helped reaffirm my findings...most of what Ed Roman said was a load of crap. We could start an entire thread on Ed's false statements and counterfeit guitars.

He can't be wrong about everything.

VHT Pitbull CL100
Vox VT40+
TC Electronic BG250
Markbass CMD 102P
(2) Randall RM100's

Peace & ZEN

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 06, 2013 10:49am 
Rock God

He's wrong about stainless steel frets, ebony fingerboards, and direct mount pickups.

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 06, 2013 10:52am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

+1 on the superswitch and 500k for the humbucker!