Looking into studio monitors for my Kemper....

Dimebag11

Would there be a big difference between a 5" and 8" monitor?

Looking at Yamaha, iKey, KRK, Samson, Behringer, and M-Audio.

Which studio monitors do you guys dig the most? I'll be using it for recording, but mostly just for home jamming on my Kemper.

For my modelers, I found my Dynaudio BM5a's to be rather sterile.
So, I dusted off an old pair of Behringer B2031's, just for jamming purposes.
The larger drivers really did give it some added "life".

in that Price range Dynaudios are gonna be tough to beat___ They are also less fatiguing then most..

Cool thing about them is the lil cheaper ones -- 1k etc. sound VERY simliar to the bigger one's I have bm5, M2 and M3 M2 is like 6 grand thats my favorite but damn you get 80% of the way there with the cheap ones! And Most other monitors in that range too me sound awful fwiw

I just want to be specific in that I will be using more to jam than for mixing purposes. Looking to spend around $500 for a pair. I'll be using then in a small 10x10 room.

I have a pair of M-Audio BX8s.

When they work, they're the best sounding speaker of this size/caliber I've ever heard.

When they don't work (maybe 2-3 times a month) they produce an intolerable static sound from the tweeter.

I guess this has been fixed in the newer D2 models but I'm not going to recommend.

I'm pretty sure that the Guitar Center in Winter Park is having a sale on the Yamaha H50 and H80's. I think around $550 for the H80, I think. I have the H50's in a small room and I think there fine but they are only a 5" woofer.

It's only good at winter park through February though man... MAKE SURE they have the tone knobs up on the monitors!!! Ivan in recording told me some of those clowns will turn down the high/bass trim to ZERO because they make the least amount on those speakers. So when people come in and demo, they sound dull and muddy compared to other monitors. Make sure everything is set at 12 o'clock.. Trust me on this one... Ask for Ivan, tell him Chris with the Kemper sent you :D. Or my boy Richie, he's in guitars, plays in adomen canvas. Great dude, and a total VHt/fryette nut as well.

Back