On another note… My new R9 and OX4 Pickups...

A

Anonymous

I recently got a nice '06 Gibson Custom Shop R9 in trade from a buddy here and it had a set of Bare Knuckle Rebel Yells in it, which were not the vibe I was going for in a Les Paul.

Anyway… in passing when we were discussing my guitar Tom Batlett told me that he'd gotten a pair of OX4 pickups and they were incredible - the closest thing he'd ever heard to a really nice set of original PAFs. In fact, one the OX4 web page, there is a quote from him saying he thought perhaps they had sent him a real set of nice PAFs by mistake...

So.. I grabbed a set and also picked up a wiring harness from a '66 ES-335 that had the original Centralab pots and Black Beauty caps. I just put the pickups, pots and caps in (wired up 50s style) and WOW - these things are incredible. What gets me is that some low output pickups don't give me enough of what I want through my amp, but these sound great no matter the level of gain I use and I have plenty of sustain and clarity. Man… I really dig these - great classic Zep sounds, but it also sounds great with higher levels of gain playing the 80s stuff I love…

Well… I highly recommend them…

Here's a pic with my new pickups in:

lp_1.jpg

Steve

fuzzyguitars":72yyjebx said:
Looks great. What other picups have you tried in les pauls
Dimarzio, Duncan Antiquities, Suhr, Bare Knuckle, original Gibsons, etc…

Steve

i would love to hear a high gain clip of those pickups please!!!!!!????

what do they run? 350 after the currency conversion?

God I love the looks of a nice LP :rock:

Unfortunately, they make my right arm to go numb, so I'll never be cool enough to keep one. :LOL: :LOL:

jcj":1ppo7f62 said:
Unfortunately, they make my right arm to go numb, so I'll never be cool enough to keep one. :LOL: :LOL:

Bahaha! I'm still getting used to that on my recently-acquired goldtop. Never had that problem on my super-comfy SGs! :LOL: :LOL:

sah5150":3561tizp said:
I recently got a nice '06 Gibson Custom Shop R9 in trade from a buddy here and it had a set of Bare Knuckle Rebel Yells in it, which were not the vibe I was going for in a Les Paul...

Wanna sell those Rebel Yells?

barnesjd":3i70kl8m said:
sah5150":3i70kl8m said:
I recently got a nice '06 Gibson Custom Shop R9 in trade from a buddy here and it had a set of Bare Knuckle Rebel Yells in it, which were not the vibe I was going for in a Les Paul...

Wanna sell those Rebel Yells?
Yes. I do - PM me...

Steve

barnesjd":3bid2v5n said:
jcj":3bid2v5n said:

Bahaha! I'm still getting used to that on my recently-acquired goldtop. Never had that problem on my super-comfy SGs! :LOL: :LOL:

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Let me know if it works out....may make me brave enough to try again :LOL: :LOL:

fuzzyguitars":1haiekob said:
i would love to hear a high gain clip of those pickups please!!!!!!????
Lemme see what I can do…

fuzzyguitars":1haiekob said:
what do they run? 350 after the currency conversion?
$372 shipped to me…

Steve

sah5150":2ttra016 said:
IndyWS6":2ttra016 said:
I hate you...

:D
If you knew the deal I got on it, you'd hate me even more! :D

Steve

I told Paul he was batshit crazy....but I told him it was a choice of having a 3.8k - 4k guitar sitting in the closet or a 2.5k guitar that you play the crap out of...honestly a very hard decision, that I dont think I would have made the same way as him...but I guess you owe him some decent Karma! :D

As for the guitar...I owned it for a while (I took most of the pics of it you saw steve) and I thought it was a KILLER R9!! When I had it there was a bit of a tuning issue and I had Paul asking for a trade back before I got it fixed...he added a new bridge and a setup when he got it back and I assume it was REALLY rockin then! But for Paul, I guess he was just wore out on it and wanted to do the Charvel with a wiggle stick for a while so you got the smokin-est deal I have ever heard of for a fabulous R9!!!

All I can say is Congrats and DIBS!!!!

Back