Really struggling to find what new amp to purchase...

dethyr

Banned
First off, hello from a new member!!

Ok, currently I am playing a Peavey 6534 with a way huge green rhino to boost and a krank rev cab. I do enjoy my tone but then I heard an ENGL and kinda went... hrmmmmmm

I have spent the last week doing a lot of listening to samples and watching video demos for the powerball, powerball 2, fireball 100, savage, invader and so on. Obviously there's tonal changes but I am having a tough time making a choice.

I read a lot about the powerball and powerball II not cutting through a mix well however that's the tone I am liking the best so far, the SE is way out of my price range, the fireball seems cool but maybe a little too mesa-ish sounding? The invader seems really cool but also seems to be expensive due to a lot of features that I know I won't use at all like the dual effects loops and so on. Tonally the winner is the powerball for me... I think.

I know this probably should have gone in the Engl forum section but I wasn't sure on account of maybe making a decision outside of Engl if someone was to recommend something cool. No interest in the 6505, anything Marshall and so on.

Advice?

dethyr":i761o5es said:
First off, hello from a new member!!

Ok, currently I am playing a Peavey 6534 with a way huge green rhino to boost and a krank rev cab. I do enjoy my tone but then I heard an ENGL and kinda went... hrmmmmmm

I have spent the last week doing a lot of listening to samples and watching video demos for the powerball, powerball 2, fireball 100, savage, invader and so on. Obviously there's tonal changes but I am having a tough time making a choice.

I read a lot about the powerball and powerball II not cutting through a mix well however that's the tone I am liking the best so far, the SE is way out of my price range, the fireball seems cool but maybe a little too mesa-ish sounding? The invader seems really cool but also seems to be expensive due to a lot of features that I know I won't use at all like the dual effects loops and so on. Tonally the winner is the powerball for me... I think.

I know this probably should have gone in the Engl forum section but I wasn't sure on account of maybe making a decision outside of Engl if someone was to recommend something cool. No interest in the 6505, anything Marshall and so on.

Advice?

Damn fine amp you got there man, i just got one and it`s one of my faves. I have a lot of top dollar amps and this one hangs in there with them.

Try a nice 10 band EQ in the loop, adds a whole new dimension to it.

Chris

I am going to keep the 6534 around while I toy with whatever Engl I buy but the difference between all of these Engl amps has me at a bit of a loss. Should I buy the powerball 1 for $1200? The Powerball 2 for 1600? The Invader for $2100? The Savage for $1500, The Victor Smolski for 2K?

It's all very exhausting haha

1st step is see what artist are using each amp and if there are some artist you like that might help narrow down your choice.

I had a powerball 1 once. And while it sounded ok, it was not a cut machine in a band setting, sounded real high fi, I prefer the 6534's tone a lot more.

Keep it while on your search, it will be a hard to beat, especially for the price, it's a hell of a deal.

Chris

jlbaxe":33n9gv9h said:
1st step is see what artist are using each amp and if there are some artist you like that might help narrow down your choice.

Great,,, now you have me wanting an EVH III 100 watt lol

After looking up all of my favourite recent tones, I am going to buy the EVH III 100watt.

Whewww.... thats a load off the past while of deciding.

dethyr":3f4af58u said:
After looking up all of my favourite recent tones, I am going to buy the EVH III 100watt.

Whewww.... thats a load off the past while of deciding.
:rock:

You're going dig it! Play the standard first before you jump to the 100s. From what I heard in clips the stealth isn't $400 better IMO.

dethyr":2qhwsih5 said:
jlbaxe":2qhwsih5 said:

Great,,, now you have me wanting an EVH III 100 watt lol
WOW that went in a different direction :LOL: :LOL:

"Really struggling to find what new amp to purchase..."

Dang... I wish that was my problem.

I just keep buying it all over and over and over again.

After all these years, the madness never ends

:D :D :D

Back