Helios Guts

Badronald":126eqach said:
Wow, why so much stuff in there?

I thought it was a simple amp. Guess not.
Defintiley a Marshall type layout especially the power section. It's a nice build. No Metro board in these heads.

glip22":133guxgb said:
Badronald":133guxgb said:
Wow, why so much stuff in there?

I thought it was a simple amp. Guess not.
Defintiley a Marshall type layout especially the power section. It's a nice build. No Metro board in these heads.

Nice to know!

BTW you said "head"...

wow, very cool to see. Looks to be very well built, but wow that doesn't look easy to wire.

Erock":29mvwsse said:
wow, very cool to see. Looks to be very well built, but wow that doesn't look easy to wire.
They had trouble. Took a lot of time. I think they are doing something about that since the back log is large.

Thru my Hendrix 4X12 cab with G12Cs this is such a great sounding amp. So many awesome sounds and ways to dial in a perfect tone. The way it feels and reacts is awesome. After years and years of going thru amps, finally happy. :rock:

Not for everyone but sure works for me!

Well, at least people don't have to feel so bad about spending 3k to own one because at least it is hand wired. I wasn't expecting that at all. I was expecting PCB. Good quality components and the time it takes to build, makes the price seem a little more acceptable. For anyone that has built an amp kit before, surely you'll know how long it takes to do and run wires and have the finished product not look like spaghetti. My two builds are mostly spaghetti :D Anyway, source all the parts you are probably ending up with 800-1000$ "kit" then do all the work (time is $) then make some profit on the sale. I can see where it adds up. Same with Friedman. Sure they buy in bulk but just consider it from your own perspective. Still think a lot of amps are priced to high but this isn't so unreasonable.

Anyway , was nice to see the guts!

glip22":1pnhj3xr said:

What's wrong with Metro boards?

:dunno:

iggs":1jt0ogq6 said:
glip22":1jt0ogq6 said:

What's wrong with Metro boards?

:dunno:
Nothing. Just a little more generic compared to the Helios build.

Looks nice... not as simple as I thought it would be. Maybe they will come out with a PCB version in the future...

Not quite the "Blades Amplification" quality, but looks pretty good! :LOL: :LOL:

P9020105_zpsddbee2ec.jpg

Kapo_Polenton":2fji1dkv said:
Well, at least people don't have to feel so bad about spending 3k to own one because at least it is hand wired. I wasn't expecting that at all. I was expecting PCB.
Sigh… ok, deep breath… ah that's better… ;)

Just a couple things:

1.) There seems to be confusion about what "hand wired" means. My amps use PCBs, but I assure you they are hand-wired by me and an assistant who does the PCBs. What you are talking about is turret board vs. PCB.

2.) There is nothing that makes turret board construction inherently better sounding than PCB designs. Either can sound great if they are done right. There is, in fact, an advantage to PCB in terms of consistency of sound between amps because the boards/traces are identical (I'm sure that Reinhold has that under control with Bogner QC, but it's easier with PCB), but let me assure you that there is a lot of hard work in hand wiring a PCB design with flying leads.

3.) So… if they don't sound any better because of the turret board design and there is lots of hard work to design and build PCB or turret board designs, why would you feel bad about spending $3K on a hand-wired, PCB design vs. turret board… Either way, you are paying for the fact that it is American made, top quality components, great sound, great looks and all the hard work that went into bringing it to market.

Helios looks well designed, well built and sounds great!

Steve

Back