Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Fri, Aug 17, 2018 8:37am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed, Aug 08, 2018 12:57pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Are you human?: 951
psychodave wrote:

The only amp I had 100% success with was a Jet City 20 watter.

I believe I heard that amp on one of your vids, and it killed. I have iron from a jet city 20w might need to pester you when I decide to do a build with it.
BTW I've seen a few of those (Friedman) modded, and it looked like the presence trace was cut. Whats up with that? too bright or something?

PostPosted: Wed, Aug 08, 2018 2:09pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

CrazyNutz wrote:
technomancer wrote:
I'm finding building fun, but definitely not something I would want to do on a schedule to deliver product. Fortunately I make a good living as a software engineer so not even considering doing anything commercial.

^^^ Exactly. BTW I have the same profession as you.

:thumbsup:

psychodave wrote:
There is definitely an art to his sound. I spoken to him too many times to count and he helped me with a Jose mod on an amp. I couldn’t get it to sound right...and I’m not a newb when it comes to tinkering. We tried everything. Some amps just don’t work and I don’t have the insight to make a turd into a gem. The funny thing is the stock amp sounds killer without mods. I figured it would kill modded.

The only amp I had 100% success with was a Jet City 20 watter. I did the basic mods and Mark helped me tone shape. After months of tinkering I’ve stopped and am completely happy with it. The amp kills. I’d have to say a really interesting thing is trying different manufacturers for the same part. For example, on the depth pot I tried so many different values from 570 to .0066. I couldn’t get anything to have “that” sound I was looking for. Then I was digging in my old parts drawer (keep in mind I’ve tinkered with amps for 20+ years) and came across an old Erie red ceramic cap that was .003uf. BOOM, the amp had this crunchy smooth sound it was missing. So I found another old Erie cap exactly the same as the other, but had a value of .0047uf. It was close, but that .003 was the magic. Everyone talks about schematics and layouts and something as small as a single part made such a difference...of course it’s the sum of all parts, but the fine tuning is where the magic comes in. This is why Mark has a hard time making mass produced amps. He has to play and fine tune each amp. This makes for some differences between amp, but each amp is now custom. With that I can say that I had the #3 CCV next to mine, which is probably #20+, and both amps sounded 99% the same. The last 1% was probably tubes or knob placement, etc.

Without question. I've only talked to him a couple times, but he was telling me the idea of the original CCVs was that he would talk with the customer and each one would be tweaked to what that person was looking for. The Brad era stuff were the amps that were "standardized" and mostly all the same.

I am curious to see how the NFB section works out on this amp, and suspect I will be playing with values for a bit on that :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 10, 2018 4:28pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Hacked together DC heater board, check

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 10, 2018 8:31pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

That looks real nice!

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 10, 2018 8:53pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

CrazyNutz wrote:
That looks real nice!

Literally the only place the small turrets were a GOOD thing :lol: :LOL: They are literally the perfect size for that rectifier. Also, teflon insulated wire kicks MAJOR ass. I am loving the stuff.

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 10, 2018 9:52pm 
Plank Cranker

Nice neat work !!

PostPosted: Sat, Aug 11, 2018 5:23pm 
Apprentice NOOB

Good stuff, looking forward to the end results.

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 12, 2018 4:27pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

romanianreaper wrote:
Hope we can get thru this thread and just focus on the amp and the great tones and avoid any talk of the past. Not expecting miracles..

With that said, awesome that you are doing your own build and cool he helped you with some of the issues. I've said it before many times on this forum, that Aldrich tone was my dream tone for years and as I tried to buy Cameron amps from friends, they would not part with them. LOL!

I have heard great amps and have heard great tones but to this day, nothing can touch the first time I heard my buddy's Aldrich in person. It captured the tones I heard in Doug Aldrich's own Cameron that I had seen in a DVD when he was in DIO. That oversaturated crunch is just unreal.

That crunch gives me goosebumps when I hear it !

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 12, 2018 4:45pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

CrazyNutz wrote:
psychodave wrote:
Here was a clip of my Aldrich I did for a friend. Showing it doesn’t need some fancy $225 pedal to get that modern tight high gain sound. I was emphasizing that I only needed to turn one knob. This is the magic that Cameron captures.

https://youtu.be/dtKm_wFy78s

Great. Now I have to add an Aldrich to the list of amps to build. Thanks Dave.

Do you happen to know what model the Marshall head thats in psychodaves clip here,damn that amp sounds huge and tight !! I feel the same way you do,need an Aldrich !

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 12, 2018 4:48pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

technomancer wrote:
And some pics of the chassis... I had to get some to send to Valvestorm to ask about a faceplate, so figured I might as well post them as well.

Your build looks really good,I hope it turns out how you are wanting it to sound..if it sounds anything like psychodaves in his clip here in your thread thats going to be a badass M-F-er !! Damn I want one !! :m17: :rawk:

PostPosted: Mon, Aug 13, 2018 8:27pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Thanks everybody! Faceplates should be here this week I believe and once those are on I can start making some progress getting everything wired up. Sort of holding off at the moment as I don't really want to start wiring stuff I'm going to have to take apart to put the plates on.

Amp is officially named The Old One.

riffermadness wrote:
CrazyNutz wrote:
psychodave wrote:
Here was a clip of my Aldrich I did for a friend. Showing it doesn’t need some fancy $225 pedal to get that modern tight high gain sound. I was emphasizing that I only needed to turn one knob. This is the magic that Cameron captures.

Do you happen to know what model the Marshall head thats in psychodaves clip here,damn that amp sounds huge and tight !! I feel the same way you do,need an Aldrich !

Pretty sure that is an actual Cameron Aldrich mod.

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 14, 2018 6:36pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

riffermadness wrote:
CrazyNutz wrote:
psychodave wrote:

It’s a 1972 Marshall Super Lead. Mark modded it back in 2011

Here was a fun clip I did trying to get the tone of the Maxwatt amp. I copped a few riffs from that thread too. Haha

https://youtu.be/A1ZeqZxgIF8

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 16, 2018 7:01am 
Rock God

psychodave wrote:
riffermadness wrote:
CrazyNutz wrote:
psychodave wrote:

Here was a fun clip I did trying to get the tone of the Maxwatt amp. I copped a few riffs from that thread too. Haha

That sounds killer. I'll always say, no other modded Marshall can touch the Cams that I've owned. Unique and killer.

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 16, 2018 12:05pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Bumped thru the noise.

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 16, 2018 12:31pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Racerxrated wrote:
psychodave wrote:
riffermadness wrote:
CrazyNutz wrote:
psychodave wrote:

That sounds killer. I'll always say, no other modded Marshall can touch the Cams that I've owned. Unique and killer.

Agreed. I’ve had several modded Marshall’s by Gower (KK++ and Rockmonster), Friedman (BE/HBE), Kruse (V5) and tried a bunch others and the 3 Cameron mods I have are in another league. They’ve also sent packing my Mezzabarba, Metroplex, Big Tone, Helios and others I’m forgetting. Didn’t you say though that the Golub to you sounded almost the same as the Aldrich? I haven’t tried that one before

The only other modders I’m somewhat curious about now are Caswell and Hopkins