Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Fri, Aug 17, 2018 8:37am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri, Aug 10, 2018 6:28pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sun, Oct 26, 2008 11:50pm
Posts: 1876
Location: Connecticut
Are you human?: 951
I might be in the market for an amp and Wizard is at the top of my list. The only problem is that I’ve only been able to play wizard profiles on my kemper- never an actual amp. I initally found out about wizard amps because the guitarist in The Living End was an endorsee and that’s my favourite band. What are the big diferences between the MC2 and MTL? I live in CT. Its a long shot, but is there anyone around who has a wizard they’d let me try out? Thanks in advance for any help.

_________________
::AMPS::
EVH 5150 III 50 watt
VHT Pitbull CL100 W/EQ
Vox VT40+
TC Electronic BG250
(2) Randall RM100's

Salvation MTS mods- Rockerverb, Mesa Mark IV, CCV
Kemper


Peace & ZEN


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri, Aug 10, 2018 7:23pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Aug 27, 2016 2:38pm
Posts: 1660
Are you human?: 951
That'd be ideal if you could try one out locally; hope that works out for ya!

I picked up an MCII on a complete whim and friggin love it. Never played an MTL so can't make a comparison, but the MCII I picked up has the V tranny and it's one ultra mean metal machine on the lead ch. Haven't messed with the rhythm ch much, but the little I have played that ch I was fairly impressed but not blown away for 60s---70s classic rock tones. Probably just need a different pup in the LP I was using to hit the sweet spot. Was just a touch too aggressive and modern for my taste the way I had it dialed. Maybe with some tweaking of the knobs I'd get it right where I like it for that sweeter rock tone. Haven't tried much cause I play metal 90% of the time and have the Club 40 when I get the itch to play some classic rock inspired stuff.

Overall the MCII has amazing clarity, articulation, depth, punch, balls, grind, growl, and touch sensitivity. All the little nuances of your hands and pick come through, and there's some great harmonic content. SUPER open gain structure which you may like or not. I love it.

Good luck :rock:

Edit: DIdn't you sell a Fryette/VHT something or other this year? If so, there is considerable similarity IMHO between the D60 I had and the MCII. Different in the voicing, but similar in feel, dynamics, clarity, and balls.

_________________
"Give me liberty, or give me Death" Patrick Henry



Good transactions with: krueger>>>ibzprestige>>>journeyman73>>>JerEvil>>>>apophis>>>DragonCrestPC>>>hammered>>>Hardvalve>>>lowmantotempole>>>FLYINRYAN11>>>bwgintegra


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri, Aug 10, 2018 8:52pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sun, Oct 26, 2008 11:50pm
Posts: 1876
Location: Connecticut
Are you human?: 951
MetalHeadMike wrote:
That'd be ideal if you could try one out locally; hope that works out for ya!

I picked up an MCII on a complete whim and friggin love it. Never played an MTL so can't make a comparison, but the MCII I picked up has the V tranny and it's one ultra mean metal machine on the lead ch. Haven't messed with the rhythm ch much, but the little I have played that ch I was fairly impressed but not blown away for 60s---70s classic rock tones. Probably just need a different pup in the LP I was using to hit the sweet spot. Was just a touch too aggressive and modern for my taste the way I had it dialed. Maybe with some tweaking of the knobs I'd get it right where I like it for that sweeter rock tone. Haven't tried much cause I play metal 90% of the time and have the Club 40 when I get the itch to play some classic rock inspired stuff.

Overall the MCII has amazing clarity, articulation, depth, punch, balls, grind, growl, and touch sensitivity. All the little nuances of your hands and pick come through, and there's some great harmonic content. SUPER open gain structure which you may like or not. I love it.

Good luck :rock:

Edit: DIdn't you sell a Fryette/VHT something or other this year? If so, there is considerable similarity IMHO between the D60 I had and the MCII. Different in the voicing, but similar in feel, dynamics, clarity, and balls.


Yea, actually I just sold it. A vht pitbull 100 classic. I had that amp for a long time and loved the feel, but the tone never felt quite right. I’ve actually thought of picking up a D60 if the wizard doesn’t pan out. The Engl Morse is also on my shortlist.

_________________
::AMPS::
EVH 5150 III 50 watt
VHT Pitbull CL100 W/EQ
Vox VT40+
TC Electronic BG250
(2) Randall RM100's

Salvation MTS mods- Rockerverb, Mesa Mark IV, CCV
Kemper


Peace & ZEN


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri, Aug 10, 2018 10:02pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Aug 27, 2016 2:38pm
Posts: 1660
Are you human?: 951
the rossness wrote:
MetalHeadMike wrote:
That'd be ideal if you could try one out locally; hope that works out for ya!

I picked up an MCII on a complete whim and friggin love it. Never played an MTL so can't make a comparison, but the MCII I picked up has the V tranny and it's one ultra mean metal machine on the lead ch. Haven't messed with the rhythm ch much, but the little I have played that ch I was fairly impressed but not blown away for 60s---70s classic rock tones. Probably just need a different pup in the LP I was using to hit the sweet spot. Was just a touch too aggressive and modern for my taste the way I had it dialed. Maybe with some tweaking of the knobs I'd get it right where I like it for that sweeter rock tone. Haven't tried much cause I play metal 90% of the time and have the Club 40 when I get the itch to play some classic rock inspired stuff.

Overall the MCII has amazing clarity, articulation, depth, punch, balls, grind, growl, and touch sensitivity. All the little nuances of your hands and pick come through, and there's some great harmonic content. SUPER open gain structure which you may like or not. I love it.

Good luck :rock:

Edit: DIdn't you sell a Fryette/VHT something or other this year? If so, there is considerable similarity IMHO between the D60 I had and the MCII. Different in the voicing, but similar in feel, dynamics, clarity, and balls.


Yea, actually I just sold it. A vht pitbull 100 classic. I had that amp for a long time and loved the feel, but the tone never felt quite right. I’ve actually thought of picking up a D60 if the wizard doesn’t pan out. The Engl Morse is also on my shortlist.



The D60 was very open, dynamic, and articulate; amazing amp! But the Wizard takes those same characteristics to the next level. There's something about the Wizards eq spectrum and voicing that is just right too.

_________________
"Give me liberty, or give me Death" Patrick Henry



Good transactions with: krueger>>>ibzprestige>>>journeyman73>>>JerEvil>>>>apophis>>>DragonCrestPC>>>hammered>>>Hardvalve>>>lowmantotempole>>>FLYINRYAN11>>>bwgintegra


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat, Aug 11, 2018 10:30am 
Online
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Jan 21, 2009 4:43pm
Posts: 2014
Location: In a room surrounded by Wizards & Mesas
Are you human?: 951
First off, no profile or sim is going to be able to capture the feel and response of a cranked Wizard thru a 4X12. That said...

The MC2 is more in the classic Marshall lineage/voicing and the MTL has a more modern edge to the feel and voicing. The MC2 has a little less gain, but a more focused crunchy Marshally mid voicing. The MTL has a bit more gain, a little more saturated, full and modern sounding. The controls are different too. The MTL has both a depth knob and saturation knob (which is very very cool and allows you to do what it says and dial in more or less saturation). The MC2 has a contour knob which is sort of a combination of depth/saturation together. Both sound great with a boost, or overdrive pedal up front too (not that it is needed) if that is a need for you. Either amp will have more than enough gain for any sort of hard rock, classic thru modern metal. Both also have exceptional sounding clean channels. And both are indeed different sounding enough to warrant owning and using both.

_________________
Excellent transactions with: sjk (S: Soldano SLO 100), glip22 (S: Gibson Historic LP R7), MrPlexi (S: Suhr PT100), Metalhead (S: PRS SC-250 AP), killertone (S: Diezel Herbert), tlingen (S: Engl SE EL34), fuzzyguitars (S: PRS Tremonti Trem & Gibson Historic LP R8), xzyryabx (S: Engl Savage 120), Devilinside (S: Randall Satan), DarkCide: (S: ESP M-II), Mizati20 (S: PV 6505+), bartmcartman (S: Bogner XTC 101B), thaifoo (S: Engl Savage 120), lester (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12), adrenalinejunky (S: Fryette UltraLead), gbsmusic (S: Fender EVH Wolfgang), savant421 (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12 cab), ams2ek (S: Mills Acoustics 4X12 cab), blastcap (S: Gibson Explorer), braciola (S: PV EVH Wolfgang USA), splawner (S: Wampler Plextortion), mhenson42 (S: Celestion V30 speakers), Gsxrbusa (S: Jackson SL2H), El Mariachi (S: Suhr Koko Boost), braintheory (S: Engl SE EL34), ChurchHill (S: Gibson Historic Custom BBR7), and many more.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Aug 12, 2018 11:09am 
Offline
Rock God

Joined: Sun, Mar 25, 2012 6:51pm
Posts: 6358
Location: Wi
Are you human?: 951
Wizard of Ozz wrote:
First off, no profile or sim is going to be able to capture the feel and response of a cranked Wizard thru a 4X12. That said...

The MC2 is more in the classic Marshall lineage/voicing and the MTL has a more modern edge to the feel and voicing. The MC2 has a little less gain, but a more focused crunchy Marshally mid voicing. The MTL has a bit more gain, a little more saturated, full and modern sounding. The controls are different too. The MTL has both a depth knob and saturation knob (which is very very cool and allows you to do what it says and dial in more or less saturation). The MC2 has a contour knob which is sort of a combination of depth/saturation together. Both sound great with a boost, or overdrive pedal up front too (not that it is needed) if that is a need for you. Either amp will have more than enough gain for any sort of hard rock, classic thru modern metal. Both also have exceptional sounding clean channels. And both are indeed different sounding enough to warrant owning and using both.

Agree with everything, I would add that the 50 MTL I had was extremely picky about a boost in front. In fact none of my boost pedals worked very well, they took away from the tone IMO. So I sold it in a month. It doesn't need a boost but I wanted to add some compression as the amp has virtually NONE lol.
Enter the MCI that I bought...it's like the best 2203 you've ever played but on steroids and more gain, not a lot but enough. And, takes ANY boost pedal like a champ. I'm sure the MCII is very similar with a few more options. Mine has the C transformer and is a 2010, there are some differences in the transformer choices so ask Gary(Glip22) or another RTer that has had multiple Wizards, both MTL and MCI/II. The C trans is the most Marshall-like of all the transformers from what I've read.
The key for my amp taking boosts well is leaving the pull boost off on the amp. The MTL I had has a saturation knob that lets you dial it down but it's always on, if I could have disengaged it then it might have taken boosts better.
Great amps and I've sold most of my other amps since getting this Wizard MCI 100w. It's a force of nature lol.

_________________
Many Toys in my Attic


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Aug 12, 2018 11:32am 
Offline
Rock God

Joined: Sun, Mar 25, 2012 6:51pm
Posts: 6358
Location: Wi
Are you human?: 951
Also, the MTL I had was a 2012, and the mids were pretty different than any Marshall. Very low mid centered, and more modern sounding than what I'm into. For the full Wizard experience I'd shy away from anything less than the 100w versions...it made my Triple Recto sound small. Seriously.

_________________
Many Toys in my Attic


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed, Aug 15, 2018 11:56pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee

Joined: Wed, Nov 18, 2015 9:39pm
Posts: 494
Location: Great White North
Are you human?: 951
Racerxrated wrote:
Also, the MTL I had was a 2012, and the mids were pretty different than any Marshall. Very low mid centered, and more modern sounding than what I'm into. For the full Wizard experience I'd shy away from anything less than the 100w versions...it made my Triple Recto sound small. Seriously.

I agree!
I had a 2012 MTL and a 2016 MCII at the same time, and the MTL mids were def NOT Marshall. Voiced much lower like Bogner. ( just the mid focus. The amp does NOT sound like any Bogner amp)
The MCII is very JCM800-ish with the classic upper mid bite.
I also prefer the low gain channel on the MCII. Does a great Plexi vibe / AC/DC thing with the boost on.
The low gain channel is OK on the MTL, but that's not why you get a MTL. The MTL does this incredible heavy, evil grind that I've never heard in any other amp. If that's what you want, get the MTL.
If you are after a Marshall vibe, go MC I or II
Both amps are super tight, un-compressed and punch like crazy. Don't expect them to sound their best at bedroom volume, but turned up, Wizard's kick like nothing else out there.

_________________
Certified Ampaholic :D
Bogner Twin Jet
Diezel VH4
EVH 5150III 100watt
Friedman BE100
Marshall 1987xl (with V2a 80's mod board)
Peavey 5150 block letter
Peters Vega-FSM
Soldano SLO 100
Vox AC30HW
Wizard MCII

A couple Les Pauls, an SG etc...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group - Terms of Use