Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Thu, Dec 18, 2014 4:37pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: George Lynch tone quest
PostPosted: Mon, Jan 07, 2008 5:19pm 
Supah Stah

A buddy of mine is on a limited income. He wants a tube amp but has decided solidstate is his best option for multiple reasons...i tried to tell him about different tube amps/used amps etc....but...he's stubborn and wants to go solidstate....he wants to get a George Lynch like tone the best he can....He said he could spend about $500 total...he wants a head but he wants to buy wah pedal and other stuff as well....he has a 2x12 cab i think it's a marshall 1936 2x12...but anyway...what solidstate head would you guys recommend for getting as close as possible to Lynch tone of Dokken/Lynch Mob era....peavey?, randall?, marshall MG series? I told him i'd ask you guys!!!

Good deals with: Lord Toneking, MYLILSS, stompboxfreak72, Emg77, Laura (valvequeen.com), King Guitar, Badronald, Skyhighrocks, Gainzilla, Adam of Angels, dstroud, axegod8185, Krueger, Orbis_Mortis, 92lx50, PeteLaramee, Guitarslinger, Juggernaut, mboogman, trauma llama, craftm1, LRStrat, just42dave, Pepi, dmtnt, Corpsegrinder88, Krinkle

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 07, 2008 5:22pm 
Immortal Rock God

I don't really know much about his tone, but I would guess a maple body guitar would be a pretty key part of it?

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 07, 2008 5:28pm 
Supah Stah

Megadeth7684 wrote:
I don't really know much about his tone, but I would guess a maple body guitar would be a pretty key part of it?

well he will have to stick with a fat strat with a duncan Jb or distortion in the bridge..not sure which pup he has..one of the two though

Good deals with: Lord Toneking, MYLILSS, stompboxfreak72, Emg77, Laura (valvequeen.com), King Guitar, Badronald, Skyhighrocks, Gainzilla, Adam of Angels, dstroud, axegod8185, Krueger, Orbis_Mortis, 92lx50, PeteLaramee, Guitarslinger, Juggernaut, mboogman, trauma llama, craftm1, LRStrat, just42dave, Pepi, dmtnt, Corpsegrinder88, Krinkle

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 07, 2008 6:34pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

About 15 years ago I had a Randall RG80ES w/ matching slant 2x12 cab. With a boost and a delay I was able to hit some pretty convincing Lynch tones. The Randalls are an inexpensive amp, but not quite what you would call flexible. They're a one-trick-pony, but they do their one trick well :rock:

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 07, 2008 6:36pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

sandman31774 wrote:
Megadeth7684 wrote:

well he will have to stick with a fat strat with a duncan Jb or distortion in the bridge..not sure which pup he has..one of the two though

Mosdef do NOT use the lynch screamin' demon - worst pup ever :gethim:

:lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 07, 2008 9:58pm 
Supah Stah

Randall RG80 and a Duncan Distortion = Lynch tone.

Technique can be either your boss or your bitch.

2001 Gibson Les Paul Classic
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard
2006 PRS McCarty
2000 Charvel Journeyman
EVH 5150III
Mesa Recto 412

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 07, 2008 11:17pm 
Immortal Rock God

sandman31774 wrote:
A buddy of mine is on a limited income. He wants a tube amp but has decided solidstate is his best option for multiple reasons...i tried to tell him about different tube amps/used amps etc....but...he's stubborn and wants to go solidstate....he wants to get a George Lynch like tone the best he can....He said he could spend about $500 total...he wants a head but he wants to buy wah pedal and other stuff as well....he has a 2x12 cab i think it's a marshall 1936 2x12...but anyway...what solidstate head would you guys recommend for getting as close as possible to Lynch tone of Dokken/Lynch Mob era....peavey?, randall?, marshall MG series? I told him i'd ask you guys!!!

Depends on what Lynch tone he wants. Lynch had many different tones.

The closest Lynch tone that he can get for $500 is the tooth and nail tone. That is no more then a Randall rg80 or rg100 with a boost pedal.

If he want a different Lynch tone he will need an old marshall, a boost pedal and h30 speakers along with a maple bodied guitar.

Hope that helps bro!!

~R~

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 08, 2008 12:28am 
Supah Stah

Gainfreak wrote:
sandman31774 wrote:

Depends on what Lynch tone he wants. Lynch had many different tones.

The closest Lynch tone that he can get for $500 is the tooth and nail tone. That is no more then a Randall rg80 or rg100 with a boost pedal.

If he want a different Lynch tone he will need an old marshall, a boost pedal and h30 speakers along with a maple bodied guitar.

Hope that helps bro!!

~R~

well for 500 bucks his options are very limited...he'll just have to settle...i told him to get something versatile...so he can play different styles on one amp...ehh...he'll have to figure it out...i appreciate all the suggestions and I'll pass them on to him! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 08, 2008 3:55am 
Rock God Trainee

For that price I can think of 2 amps worth to look at:
old 1x12 JCM 800 combo
or old Mesa studio 22 amp

I have no idea what Lynch sounds like, but these are tube amps that will get tone better than any solid state amp & have a great resale value if he decides to upgrade some day.

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 08, 2008 5:07am 
Hack

George has had so many different setups
always on the hunt for the perfect tone
I would say throw in a Screamin Demon
Check out the Crate GT3500 (shockwave) for solid state
The clean is awesome, the rhythm channel is sweet and the solo channel
can do everything up to Sick Brutal distortion and it has tone.

or for tube Fender Super 60 (Rivera era), not the solid state but the tube
super 60.

:thumbsup:

Crate Shockwave
ART DST 80\80
Rocktron mAXE
Peavey Rockmaster (FJA Modded)
ADA MicroTube 100
QSC 300 Watt Clean Pwr Amp
Marshall 1960B

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 08, 2008 6:48am 
Rock God

sandman31774 wrote:

He could get an old school Randall like George used on the Tooth and Nail album (I think).

Out of newer offerings maybe a Peavey XXL? :lol: :LOL:

Not that it would necessarily nail his tone exact, but the gain might be enough to his liking.

Or modeler of some sort.....

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 08, 2008 7:48am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Shiny_Surface wrote:
sandman31774 wrote:

He could get an old school Randall like George used on the Tooth and Nail album (I think).

Out of newer offerings maybe a Peavey XXL? :lol: :LOL:

Not that it would necessarily nail his tone exact, but the gain might be enough to his liking.

Or modeler of some sort.....

Actually the Peavey XXL does a pretty good job with early Lynch tones. It's not a bad amp at all. Can pick them up for a good price used.

:)

Project Scarelane
Image Image

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 08, 2008 8:50am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Lynch in a Box right here (NO BS !!)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280190412239&

heres a clip by the previous owner - as you can hear when dialed in correctly "Classic Lynch/Dokken" Tone
http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=5130020&q=hi&newref=1

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 08, 2008 9:11am 
Supah Stah

Carvin Legacy heads are fairly inexpensive used. Might not be the perfect Lynch tone but it is an el34 tube head :thumbsup: Far better than any SS amd IMO

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 08, 2008 10:04am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I'd urge your friend to get a Spider Valve used or something along those lines (Vox AD120VT head... etc).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NADqXlwRt4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGQto_QagPk