Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Thu, Jul 24, 2014 3:23am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 17, 2008 2:34pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Any opinions?

I've tried getting in touch with people regarding the new Diezel cabs to no avail...maybe after NAMM. :student:

www.perfectfifthstudio.com
http://www.enditol.net

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 17, 2008 4:01pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

i am interested in this as well! im wanting to know how a front loaded g12k-100 cab would mix live with my rear loaded v 30 cab.
peace
Andy W

http://www.diezelamplification.com
http://www.suhrguitars.com

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 17, 2008 7:21pm 
Supah Stah

I'm a big fan of both speakers. I've heard the 100s in Marshall and Fender (seriously) cabs and compared to V30s, they have a much wider freq. responce. Tons of low end, very even smooth mids, and a high end responce a little different than most other Celestions. The highs stay clean and articulate rather than crunching up. Dynamically they are super punchy, stiff and not as compressed as V30s. Probably not the best bet for classic rock where speaker breakup enhances the tone, but incredible for high gain and accurate clean tones.

The other 'clean' Celestion that doesn't break up much, Classic Lead 80, sounds quite different than the G12K-100. Different materials used in the construction result, IMO, in the 100 having a much warmer, throaty natural sound vs. the edgy, metallic sound of the 80.

I'm almost certain I will be getting one of these new Diezel G12k100 cabs. I love front loaded cabs !

Good deals with : locoed, Racerxrated, GreazyGeo

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 18, 2008 12:56pm 
Apprentice NOOB

I'm using the Celestion G12K-100 trough a Diezel Rearloaded Cab + Diezel Herbert +Gibson SG or Fender Strat.

I compared this combination to other cabs and speakers like Engl loaded with V30...Marshall loaded with eminence delta pro 12...and so on.

My cab, the diezel 412R with g12k 100 sounded very good into my ears especially for modern metall sounds. The cleansound is realy "full" and you can feel the tone into the room. Funk, smooth blues and fusion jazz, everything is possible and sounds realy nice...great! (:

But I heard that the g12k 100 would sound better in the frontloaded cab...that was the only one possible combination that I did not try out =/ :doh:

you wouldn't do any fault if you're going to buy these speakers (:

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 18, 2008 2:39pm 
Plank Cranker

I guess I'm the only one that likes the V30's for metal/hard rock better, there is a thickness to them that I love that's in the midrange somewhere. :dunno:

-Nick

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 19, 2008 5:58pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

no im a HUGE v3O fan. only speaker i have ever used in any rig, BUT i wanna mix in something for just live and nothing is cooler looking than 2 cabs anyway :D i just wanna know how both cabs would sound together.
peace
Andy W

http://www.diezelamplification.com
http://www.suhrguitars.com

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 20, 2008 9:58am 
Hack

Hi,

has anyone tried the G12K-100 in the Einstein Combo (or any other open back cabinet)?

I'm looking for more aggressive highs and a little less mids compared to the stock V30.

Thanks a lot!

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 24, 2008 5:45am 
Diezel Amplification

Hello to everybody!
I´m back from the NAMM and a bit jet lagged.
Very interesting discussion. I fully agree with "thegame´s" describtion! Van Hellions idea comes close to Adam Jones´s tone. Even better would be a V30 Rearloaded and a G12K100 Front.
This gives kind of phasing signal....like it or not.
If somebody has seen my interview...The way it´s ment to be: We sell more V30 cabinets than G12K cabinets. It´s just an alternative chassis for those who need more definition between 500 Hz and
3.5kHz. Some of you might like the early break up of the V30, some might not. Peter Diezel wants me to make a G12H cabinet. I talked to the guys from Celestion and they will send me samples asap.

By the way, the baby is ready to roll :rock:

Attachments:
CIMG0658.JPG
CIMG0658.JPG [ 2.14 MiB | Viewed 9600 times ]

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 24, 2008 6:31am 
Diezel Amplification

G12H - very interesting and IMO a good idea.

I hope that you don't mind if I use that pic for your website? :D

Hi Peter ;)

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 24, 2008 1:43pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Peter Stapfer wrote:
Hello to everybody!
I´m back from the NAMM and a bit jet lagged.
Very interesting discussion. I fully agree with "thegame´s" describtion! Van Hellions idea comes close to Adam Jones´s tone. Even better would be a V30 Rearloaded and a G12K100 Front.
This gives kind of phasing signal....like it or not.
If somebody has seen my interview...The way it´s ment to be: We sell more V30 cabinets than G12K cabinets. It´s just an alternative chassis for those who need more definition between 500 Hz and
3.5kHz. Some of you might like the early break up of the V30, some might not. Peter Diezel wants me to make a G12H cabinet. I talked to the guys from Celestion and they will send me samples asap.

By the way, the baby is ready to roll :rock:

Hi Peter! Thanks for the info. When will these new cabs be available to order and do you have a rough price to North Americans?
:rock:

www.perfectfifthstudio.com
http://www.enditol.net

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 26, 2008 9:32am 
Diezel Amplification

I am dealing with Tyler Salwender how to get the first container to the US.
We have to deal with the banks and stuff, so it´s up to them, if we can make this happen.
Sending the cabinets by UPS was a nightmare costwise. The cabinets that I sent to Tokyo via UPS have been completely destroyed. Tyler is my man, I´ll do my very best to arrange the import of the cabinets to North America.
Shipping should take between 60 to 80 days, but dealing with the banks is something special.
I´ll keep you updated, gentlemen. By the way, I´ll be in holiday for 3 days! (I had 2 days last year, what a gain!)

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 28, 2008 5:06am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Nice to hear that you are back, Peter.
Have a nice vacation and I will be waiting for the reply on my e-mail, regarding the new cabs.

Niki

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 28, 2008 5:35am 
Diezel Amplification

Peter Stapfer wrote:
I am dealing with Tyler Salwender how to get the first container to the US.
We have to deal with the banks and stuff, so it´s up to them, if we can make this happen.
Sending the cabinets by UPS was a nightmare costwise. The cabinets that I sent to Tokyo via UPS have been completely destroyed. Tyler is my man, I´ll do my very best to arrange the import of the cabinets to North America.
Shipping should take between 60 to 80 days, but dealing with the banks is something special.
I´ll keep you updated, gentlemen. By the way, I´ll be in holiday for 3 days! (I had 2 days last year, what a gain!)

No holidays since 1985 :cry: :cry: :cry:

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 16, 2009 2:04am 
Banned

Hey_bert_whtcha_doin_bert wrote:
I guess I'm the only one that likes the V30's for metal/hard rock better, there is a thickness to them that I love that's in the midrange somewhere. :dunno:

-Nick

No Nick, I’m with you all the way. The G12K-100 fall under the classic zone with the Vintage 30, same category as far as era.

Back when I was waiting indefinitely for some minor parts for my Herbie, Terry told me about this new Diezel cab, more or less. I deduced that the speakers had to be the G12K-100 since Peter primarily uses his custom12s which I have and Vintage 30s.

I bought 4 G12K-100 speakers and loaded them up and was moderately impressed, but not impressed enough to keep them. They hadn’t the nice chime and sparkle in the high end, the midrange I like and the oomph as I like in the low end too as the Vintage 30 does.

Basically the G12K-100 is simply a louder speaker but IMO not as versatile as a Vintage 30

Different strokes for different folks…

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 16, 2009 2:17am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Would an x pattern loaded cab of v30s and 100s give you the best of both worlds then? or does it kinda create a tone of its own?

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 16, 2009 2:40am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

it creates its own tone. i tried it in mine & it sounded good..but i liked all 4 G12K100s in comparison. just my ears i guess. But people are different. If you have the speakers, give them a try. you may like it. and if you dont its only your time & effort that is lost.

Diezel VH4
Diezel 4X12 FL G12K100/V30
Suhr CAA PT100
Port City OS 2x12 loaded w Scumbacks
Gibson Les Paul Custom
tons of other stuff!!!

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 16, 2009 2:56am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Thanks man,
The problem is I don't live near any good guitar shops or diezel showrooms :/ Pretty much all my purchases are based on reviews.

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 16, 2009 5:29pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Hi,

I own a frontloaded V30 and G12K100 mixed cab. The are mounted left and right side, so that I can use it as a 2x12 with one speaker type, if I like, but to be honest: For me the mix is the coolest thing =)

The V30 is more spikey and has more own character, whereas the G12K100 sound more neutral to me, but has a HUGE bottom end.

But the diezel guys dont like them mixed in one cabinet, so thats up to your own ;)

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 16, 2009 7:17pm 
Apprentice NOOB

I just came from an Ab comparison: G12K100 vs V30, both front loaded (Einstein head). After a loooooot of reading of reviews, I has convinced that a will like G12K100 better. Guess what: right now, behind me there is a V30 Front loaded Diezel cab laughing at me. I did not cranked up the head, but i never will, not in my home, nor in the studio or the clubs where I'm playing so i just herd both cabs in conventional levels. I was testing these cabs with an Einstein Head and a les paul guitar so pronounced highs (from V30) and attack (from FL configuration) are just the "missing ingredients" for my cake.

So
TRY before you buy
or
buy and NEVER ask

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 17, 2009 9:24am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

van hellion wrote:
no im a HUGE v3O fan. only speaker i have ever used in any rig, BUT i wanna mix in something for just live and nothing is cooler looking than 2 cabs anyway :D i just wanna know how both cabs would sound together.
peace
Andy W

My Favorite Mix... Is V30's & Lead 80's I have this in an X-Pattern in my MILLS Afterburner Cab. The 80's are a great match with the 30's they are Darker, and have more punch, and bottom, and are Creamy... Perfect with the Growl, and snarl & bite of the 30's.

100's are a GT75 with a little more bottom... Hollow sounding IMO... Top & Bottom, and no mids.

Best,

Roid RAGE

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 17, 2009 2:27pm 
Supah Stah

RoidRage wrote:
100's are a GT75 with a little more bottom... Hollow sounding IMO... Top & Bottom, and no mids.

Best,

Roid RAGE

I've tried K100s again since my initial post almost 2 years ago. You're right, hollow is the best word to describe the K100s. I'm not interested in them at all anymore.

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 17, 2009 2:48pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

thegame wrote:
RoidRage wrote:

Best,

Roid RAGE

I've tried K100s again since my initial post almost 2 years ago. You're right, hollow is the best word to describe the K100s. I'm not interested in them at all anymore.

Yep. I bought a quad, played them for a few months and then sold the quad. Hollow is right. Great bottom end and very tight, but definitely hollow. I didn't like the roll off of the high end on the speaker either. Decent mid range, but definitely lacking in character. I found I like the Mesa C90s better than the K100 and I still complain the C90s lack character. I've got C90s and V30s mixed in my Road King cab and it's a pretty solid combination, overall.

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 17, 2009 4:40pm 
Supah Stah

mincy wrote:
I found I like the Mesa C90s better than the K100 and I still complain the C90s lack character.

Yes, the C90s are much better than K100s IMO, but still not as sweet as the you know whats. When they arrive, feel free to test drive them any which way you please :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 17, 2009 11:56pm 
Immortal Rock God

Just gotta chime in here... Been a while, been sluttin' around on the Bogner side of things (ya ya, I'm playing both sides... Uberschall is awesome) BUT!!! I just have to say, I was using a RL 4x12 Diezel loaded with G12H 70th Anniversary Edition cones and then I picked up a new FL G12K-100 cabinet, and hands down, the new FL cabs with the G12K's impress me intensely. The things I love about them are they are VERY 3D, the cleans sound better than previous V30 cabs and definitely the previous Diezel cab loaded with this G12H's, as for break up - I played a lot with my depth and presence EQ (VH4S, new) and I found these 2 controls were the key to unleashing the potency of the G12K-100's...

So, just my 2 cents worth. If I could, I'd have every cab and amp in the world, but I don't. So my VH4S through FL G12K100 4x12's is VERY versatile, rich, toneful, and ya, bloody loud and powerful. My other rig is a TJ Uberschall, new, with a matching UberKab 4x12 (X patterned with G12T-75 and V30's) and between the 2, I've always found the tone I yearn for.

Peace,
V. :rock:

PostPosted: Fri, Dec 18, 2009 12:49am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

My Diezel FL cab with G12K100's is supposed to be here tomorrow. Should be interesting since I've ran my Herbert through V30's, Greenbacks, and P50s.

Framus Cobra
VHT Ultra Lead
Bogner Uberschall TJ
Mesa Dual Rec "C"
Mesa Dual Rec "F"

PostPosted: Fri, Dec 18, 2009 7:08pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Just got my FL G12K100 cab a little while ago and have mixed feelings.

It seems to lack some bottom end when compared to my Framus Cobra 412 cab with Greenbacks.. :confused: The adjustment seems to be mostly in the deep and presence knobs with this cab. I can see where a couple of you say that the 100's sound a little hollow. The mid range could definitely use some more bite.

I think I am learning that I like that mid rangy "bite" that V30's have. They seem to really pronounce the picking attack on the palm mutes.

Looks like I'm going to have to try out V30's and 100's in an "X" Anyone have a pair of Vintage 30's for sale? :)

Also, what are the characteristics of the 100's when they are not broken in? I did buy my cab used, from Pauly, but I don't think he put a lot of hours on it.

Framus Cobra
VHT Ultra Lead
Bogner Uberschall TJ
Mesa Dual Rec "C"
Mesa Dual Rec "F"

PostPosted: Fri, Dec 18, 2009 10:24pm 
Immortal Rock God

It would be nice to hear from Peter or Duolos here as not that long ago, the new FL 4x12 loaded with G12K-100's was to be the epitome of sonic bliss matched to a completely re-engineered cabinet specifically designed for these new cones...

Are we finding they're too sterile? Too 'hollow'? Lacking character? And if so, what do the Powers That Be think of X patterning their beloved G12K's with V30's in a FL cab?? Anyone?? What's happening here folks...!!

V. :dunno:

PostPosted: Fri, Dec 18, 2009 11:00pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I have just spent the last 5 hours playing through this new cab. :bash:

Conclusions I have arrived to....

1. The bass is very touchy. I usually run a lot of bass, I like to feel a good riff. AS I work the bass and deep knobs, I've either got nearly no bass or I've got too much that "flubs" out. As soon as I get the bass set right, just changing to a different guitar or tuning seems to change the bass response completely and I am back to knob tweaking.

2. This cab seems to sound boxy to me. If I close my eyes, I'd think I was playing through a 2x12 cab. I think part of this is due to the mid range on these speakers. I found myself rolling my mids off more and more tying to get a less "midy","boxy" sound out of the tone.
Removing my Herbert and trying out my Powerball gave similar results. Found myself rolling off the mids. I believe this must be what you guys consider "hollow" sounding?

I think I am going to try an X with a pair of V30's, if I can find a pair cheap. If I don't like that combo either than I guess I will try Greenbacks in this cab. I really like the tight bass, smooth mids, and not much tonal variance regardless of volume with the Greenbacks.

The cabinet is awesome, very sturdy and attractive, but not the tonal qualities I was expecting. :confused:

Framus Cobra
VHT Ultra Lead
Bogner Uberschall TJ
Mesa Dual Rec "C"
Mesa Dual Rec "F"

PostPosted: Sat, Dec 19, 2009 12:04am 
Immortal Rock God

Good post RJF... Just one point of clarification - are you talking about the new 4x12 FL loaded with G12K100's..??

Interesting. I've heard that V30's in a FL config over a RL config change a lot in their typical grunt, growl and spectrum. The G12K100's are solid - I find them robust, very 3D, and linear - but this linearity sometimes seems "sterile". I find V30's, or G12H's or even Greenbacks are more 'organic' sounding. But this is where I've been finding sweetspots with Presence & Depth. You say you're using a Herbie? That might be it too - Herbies are hi-gain beasts that tend to come delivered already a bit pre-scooped (in my humble opinion).

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah the search for the omnipotent 'tone'. :doh:

V.

NOTE: I did a re-read of your previous post...yes, you're using the FL new cab - cool. I HAVE heard that the more the G12K's break in, the sweeter, browner and more rich they sound. Again, would be great to hear some thoughts by Peter, Peter and Duolos here.

PostPosted: Sat, Dec 19, 2009 4:53pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Woke up this morning, fired up the Herbert, and still dislike the 100's. :thumbsdown:

Just found a Crate Blue Voodoo cab for sale locally, if it still has the stock V30's I'm going to grab it. Then, pull the speakers, and then do the world a favor and junk the cab. :lol: :LOL:

Framus Cobra
VHT Ultra Lead
Bogner Uberschall TJ
Mesa Dual Rec "C"
Mesa Dual Rec "F"

PostPosted: Sat, Dec 19, 2009 5:12pm 
Immortal Rock God

You going to go X pattern or full 4...??

V. :confused:

PostPosted: Sat, Dec 19, 2009 10:57pm 
Banned

Ventura wrote:
And if so, what do the Powers That Be think of X patterning their beloved G12K's with V30's in a FL cab?? Anyone?? What's happening here folks...!!

V. :dunno:

V30s will never die. They are the mainstay and industry standard for all forms of rock and metal. There's been more rock and metal albums/CD hits recorded with V30s than any other Celestion.

With all this RL & FL speak going around, I wonder if it's feasible, doable or even practical to have a single 4x12 cab that would have a mix of both two RL speakers & two FL speakers in the same cab.

PostPosted: Sat, Dec 19, 2009 11:16pm 
Banned

Ventura wrote:
Herbies are hi-gain beasts that tend to come delivered already a bit pre-scooped (in my humble opinion).

Hey V. I will have to agree to disagree. Yes Herbie can be just a hi-gain beast if one parks themselves on CH3 ad infinitum. Then the users would be missing the point of Herbert. Herbert is far more than a hi-gain beast. I don't know how you conclude the pre-scooped conclusion, mine certainly is not.
There’s other channels which Herbie also comes with, they've got very cool handy knobs. ;)

PostPosted: Sat, Dec 19, 2009 11:21pm 
Banned

RJF wrote:
Woke up this morning,...

I was expecting:

"and dragged a comb across my head...
Found my way downstairs and drank a cup?
And looking up, i noticed i was late
Found my coat and grabbed my hat
Made the bus in seconds flat
Found my way upstairs and had a smoke
Somebody spoke and i went into a dream

Ah..."

Last edited by King Crimson on Sat, Dec 19, 2009 11:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat, Dec 19, 2009 11:24pm 
Immortal Rock God

Quote:
Herbie's other channels and handy knobs....
:aww:

Oh hell ya, I know...I KNOW!!! That was taken kinda the wrong way...I'm just saying the Herbie's 'industry' claim to fame is its potency in the hi-gain arena of amps. And in that arena with what it is equipped with, it is somewhat scooped (but completely EQ'able as well). I am not saying at all it's a one trick pony. Not at all... I know Herbie and I know Uberschall, and they're a lot a like in many ways.

Anyway - I'm not sayin'...I'm just sayin'....you know what I'm sayin'?

V.

PostPosted: Sat, Dec 19, 2009 11:31pm 
Banned

Ventura wrote:
Quote:
Herbie's other channels and handy knobs....
Anyway - I'm not sayin'...I'm just sayin'....you know what I'm sayin'?

V.

V. I fully understand I was just :poke: you.
You know what I'm saying, because I'm just saying that it's just what I'm saying without saying what I'm saying to :doh:you, know what I'm saying?

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 20, 2009 1:48am 
Banned

I was noodling around the Interweb this evening and came across this vid of a shoot-out between the Celestion V30 vs G12H-30 vs G12T-75 vs G12K-100.
To my ears the T-75 & K-100 sound nearly the same - the K-100 just may have a bit more output. Switch between 0:39 for the T-75 & 1:20 for the K-100 and you judge for yourself.

IMO - V30!

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 20, 2009 8:07am 
Journeyman NOOB

I have a new found love for the straight FL 4x12 G12K100 cab. It sounds -way- better with my Herbert than my straight ENGL Vintage V30 ever did. No matter the sounds: clean, crunch, chug, leads. And it's also a lot easier on my back :lol: :LOL:
And I also happen to think that that ENGL cab is one of the best V30 cabs out there.
That being said, I haven't tried the new Diezel FL V30, so that might be a different beast altogether. I'm just gonna have to buy more cabs :rock:
I still wanna try my amp with an Orange 16ohm V30 cab again, that was the best I've heard with it previously...but maybe my ears are just being nostalgic ;)
However, I think I have concluded that with the Herbert, you don't want to have speaker distortion...and remember this is the most powerful output stage of any guitar amp to my knowledge (well maybe Orange RV 200W as well?)...so bring on some proper load resistance and it will sound its best when you put the master at noon :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 20, 2009 11:29am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I just can't get the bass response to come up and can't EQ out a "boxy" sound. I will say, if I turn the master up far enough to kill small animals that are in close proximity, then it starts sounding better, but jeesh.... better keep a bottle of aspirin near the amp for my ringing head! :doh: I think these speakers are just too big for my liking. I need a lower wattage speaker that starts moving and responding better at a lower volume.

Still working on that BLue Voodoo cab, first I'll try an X, then move to replacing all 4, unless I think the X is great.

Framus Cobra
VHT Ultra Lead
Bogner Uberschall TJ
Mesa Dual Rec "C"
Mesa Dual Rec "F"

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 20, 2009 12:10pm 
Banned

axeman81 wrote:
However, I think I have concluded that with the Herbert, you don't want to have speaker distortion...and remember this is the most powerful output stage of any guitar amp to my knowledge (well maybe Orange RV 200W as well?)...so bring on some proper load resistance and it will sound its best when you put the master at noon :thumbsup:

I think Peter knows what he's doing when he chose V30s. V30s are much more harmonically rich than the sterile T-75 and K-100. It’s abundantly clear from the shoot-out. And early distortion is not that noticeable in the V30 (I like!), you’re hearing the rich tone that marries very well with all Diezel amplifiers.

About seven years ago I had an Ampeg VH140C stack loaded with T-75s. It sounded fairly good because the VH140C is solid state. I’ll never forget the day a friend joined my band at rehearsal and he brought a Marshall stack, two 1960BVs V30 loaded. He asked if I wanted to give it a go with my Ampeg VH140C. I much obliged and it changed my whole spectrum on guitar loud speakers. The musicality og the V30 was second to none compared to the T-75 and just owned my Ampeg 4x12 T-75 load cabs, clean, crunch and brutal. I’ve never looked back.

Hey, I’ve tried them all at one time or another and the V30 is my dog!

You follow what makes you feel good, right?

-David-

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 20, 2009 12:16pm 
Banned

RJF wrote:
I will say, if I turn the master up far enough to kill small animals that are in close proximity, then it starts sounding better,...

Hey RJF, that's really not the way that Herbie was designed from what I have heard from the master himself. It's really theother way around, volume high (~12:00) and master lower.

I've attached a sample chart for anyone interested.

Attachments:
Herbert Settings Chart.pdf [42.95 KiB]
Downloaded 89 times

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 20, 2009 3:23pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

King Crimson wrote:
RJF wrote:
I will say, if I turn the master up far enough to kill small animals that are in close proximity, then it starts sounding better,...

Hey RJF, that's really not the way that Herbie was designed from what I have heard from the master himself. It's really theother way around, volume high (~12:00) and master lower.

I've attached a sample chart for anyone interested.

Thanks for that chart, which helped confirm myself I don't have my EQ way out. I cranked the master up, while having the channel volume level up fairly high also. I'm talking seriously loud.....

After listening to that clip of the speakers, I also really prefer the characteristics of the V30. Much sharper and crunchier. The 75 and 100 sounded very bland to me.

Framus Cobra
VHT Ultra Lead
Bogner Uberschall TJ
Mesa Dual Rec "C"
Mesa Dual Rec "F"

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 20, 2009 5:43pm 
Journeyman NOOB

I like the V30's for many things myself, but the Herbert is so powerful that I seem to get nasty breakup with it before the master hits full flight, so to speak :D
But to each his own! I play lot of palm muted riffs that absolutely depend on precision, agressive response, attack and dynamics. For big open chords, rock music, the rearloaded V30's would probably work better, to give the real "vintage feel".
What I do love about the 412FK Custom is that it is very neutral and "honest" sounding, it sounds huge, and no frequencies jump out at you (unlike the slightly harsh high-mid/treble you'd get from a cranked V30 cabinet...it is distorting)
Now with a 100W Marshall, I might have gotten away with it because the transformers are like cellphone chargers compared to the Herbert ones :lol: :LOL:
The genius of the 412FK is that when you turn it up it doesn't change the tone, it just increases the volume. I really like that!

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 21, 2009 12:00pm 
Immortal Rock God

Well, with the big announcement and all the hoopla not that long ago with regards to the "newly redesigned FL G12K100 loaded 4x12" cabs, the thing I remember hearing a lot from the Powers That Be (Diezel-Land) was that they'd steered away from V30's in order to avoid that sharp midrange bite so typical with them. The G12K100's were touted as the new bomber awesome killer cones... I unloaded a RL4x12 with G12H's in anticipation for the new GK's, and ya, I like the G12K's, but are they as rich as the G12H's...?? Maybe not. I've got an UberKab coming today or tomorrow loaded with V30's and GT's in an X pattern - my guess is, this cab will sound a little more organic and perhaps less bitey than an all 4 V30 cab.

But here we are, some of us have spent some serious LOOT on these new fangled 4x12's FL'd with G12K's and now we're seeing Diezel mix 'em up with V30's and even we as musicians changing them up to get something we're not currently getting. Kinda bugs me. Don't get me wrong, I love everything Diezel, they are awesome - and my VH4S is the epitome of a brilliant, flexible, amazing amp. But this flip-floppin' around with different cones and what not makes me wonder, if the ENTIRE cabinet was REDESIGNED and RE-ENGINEERED to sound BEST with G12K's, why is it things are going BACK to V30's and other models in the FL configuration...?? Hype?? Marketing?? Or just preference??

Whatever, I have the 4 x G12K's and since the new UberKab comes with V30's and GT's, I may just keep the G12K's in there for now and flip flop between cabs. But if it continues to sound a bit sterile... I'll be throwing some V30's in there for sure. Sigh....

:doh: V.

Last edited by Ventura on Mon, Dec 21, 2009 12:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 21, 2009 12:02pm 
Immortal Rock God

PS - without a doubt, the sound off clip above has me thinking the V30's are the nicest sounding, most rich, then followed closely by the G12H's and then the G12K's and then the 75's...

But YES!!! The surrounding cab can make a HUGE difference to this.... I know this. It's sonic physics.

V.

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 21, 2009 1:29pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Well, I'd just like to clarify for what I've said in this thread. My 100's were out of phase in my cab, so obviously is why I was unimpressed by them at first.

I fixed the wiring and am blown away by the new cab and 100's. Tons of bass and it's super tight and clear. I don't think I will be bothering with V30's in this cab anytime soon.

Framus Cobra
VHT Ultra Lead
Bogner Uberschall TJ
Mesa Dual Rec "C"
Mesa Dual Rec "F"

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 21, 2009 2:11pm 
Banned

RJF wrote:
After listening to that clip of the speakers, I also really prefer the characteristics of the V30. Much sharper and crunchier. The 75 and 100 sounded very bland to me.

Same here. The 75 & 100 sound very similar to my ears, sterile, lackluster and uninspiring for lack of a better word.

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 21, 2009 4:53pm 
Journeyman NOOB

I wasn't aware that Diezel are going to go with a mixed setup in newer cabs! IIRC, Pauly Panacea said he tried his cab with two V30's but then he threw them right back out again. But hey, trying new shit is half the fun right?? :rock:

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 21, 2009 5:06pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Kudos to the great work that Diezel has done building their new cabs. I've heard one and it sounds nice, no question.
I also know that I own a previous generation 2x12 FL cab with the Diezel speakers.
I'm not a fan of Celestion speakers in general and they aren't the be all to end all.....so, in all fairness, I decided to try a pair of G12K100s in there and it sounded somewhat better. Nothing overly dramatic but it was clearer and handled the bottom better.

Recently, I replaced the stock Diezel spec Eminence speakers with a couple of Eminence George Lynch Super V112 speakers and the difference is night and day. These speakers are ultra clear, have an awesome bottom end and just punch you in the gut when cranked. My Einstein just loves these things. I also put one into my ISO cab and it works great. When I get some time, I'll have to post up some clips. I'm really happy with this setup.
:)

Gibson Les Paul Axcess
EBMM JP12 7 string
EBMM Luke III Neptune blue (on order!)
Ibanez Jem 77 FP2
Ibanez JS2410

Last edited by PBGas on Mon, Dec 21, 2009 8:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 21, 2009 5:24pm 
Banned

Ventura wrote:
...and my VH4S is the epitome of a brilliant, flexible, amazing amp. But this flip-floppin' around with different cones and what not makes me wonder, if the ENTIRE cabinet was REDESIGNED and RE-ENGINEERED to sound BEST with G12K's, why is it things are going BACK to V30's and other models in the FL configuration...?? Hype?? Marketing?? Or just preference??

Whatever, I have the 4 x G12K's and since the new UberKab comes with V30's and GT's, I may just keep the G12K's in there for now and flip flop between cabs. But if it continues to sound a bit sterile... I'll be throwing some V30's in there for sure. Sigh....:doh: V.

You’re almost correct in your examination, V. I'll have to raise the bar here and fervently declare and state publicly that it is the King Herbert to be the quintessence of all electric guitar amps, high or low, bar none!.

CH2 on Herbert possess endless tones based on how well you are able to mix up the gain, volume, TMB, -/+ switch, presence and deep.

Just for the record, my 2-4x12 Diezel Wonder Cabs are fitted with 2-V30s and two Diezel Custom speakers installed in an X pattern - unadulterated Heaven!

No need to sigh V. V30s are the bomb married with Herbert and they handle his massive power very well at all volumes and abuse.

Last edited by King Crimson on Mon, Dec 21, 2009 5:32pm, edited 2 times in total.