Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Fri, Apr 18, 2014 11:37pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Egnater M4
PostPosted: Sun, Dec 14, 2008 11:58am 
Rock God

I have an Egnater M4 that i have been playing through for 6-7 months. Now alot of amps and effects have a "Honey Moon " phase,and i have been there with alot of effects and amps,but everytime i turn this preamp on it returns the favor. I have a second one coming this month fully loaded.

Modules: Dual Channel:
Brilliant idea. Bruce designed these modules from the preamp section of many popular amps. From what i understand the preamp part of the amp is 90% of the amps sound. there are 10 modules (i think). I have 5 now and 4 more coming in another rack unit.

Erect: I did a side by side (A/B Box)with my Mesa MK III and matched it perfectly. Actually sounds better,almost no hum or hiss on high gain. Ch A i use clean and ch B overdriven Pink floydish comfortably numb lead sound. So far the best over driven gain sound.

EG3/4: this is from his TOL amp (tone of life) channel 3 and 4. it is darker than a marshall jcm800 and has incredible singing lead tones. :2thumbsup:

SL: this one does the Plexi jtm45 amp sound great think of Clapton and Zeppelin. A must have.

SL2: this is great for marshall JCM800/900 fans. has that bite like marshalls. Sounds like every new to old song out there that has a marshall in it.

EG5: Havent spent much time with this one. Im trying to figure out the kind of tone I looking for in it. I like it and has its own sound. this has lots of gain and brite.

Pros:
If you play many styles from country to death metal there are mod for you. I wanted marshalls,fenders,mesa and dumbles which would take up a lot of sq ft then i found this kinda by accident, after i got it the tone was orgasmic. It has made my list of permanent amps (my mesa and Egnater) that will never get sold.

Cons:
well I'm still searching for one. I mean it could use a linking system for running more than one unit into an amp,but I use 2 separate RT2/50 amps one for each. It doesnt have an effects loop but I have learned that it doesn't need it. In my rack it goes into a tc g system and a gcx switcher. SO really NO cons.

I will post on the second M4 and other 4 mods after i receive it and give it a good testing.

Good deals Ref with viewtopic.php?f=19&t=44053 Updated 6/2/11

Post subject: Re: Egnater M4
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 16, 2008 2:15pm 
Rock God

M4 is my overall favorite preamp.

Pro:

1. Up to eight channels at a time of almost any flavor depending on modules chosen.
2. nine-volt phantom power without a separate wall wart, works on 7 or 5 pin phantom power (almost unheard of)
3. Some the thickest, clearest, tastiest tones available.
4. Sounds great with almost any power amp.

Con:

1. Fairly expensive in the grand scheme of things, but worth every penny.
2. You'll end up owning all 8 or so modules, and needing another chassis.
3. Phantom power only supplies up to 1 amp, which is fine for almost anything except my ADA MPC which requires 1.4 A.

I don't really want to get into the modules individually right now.

Buy this unit.

PostPosted: Sat, Aug 08, 2009 11:44am 
Hack

These are amazing units, I have two of them and am wholly convinced that Bruce has nailed these classic amp sounds. I especially like the cleaner Bassman, Vox and Fender style modules. In an era of "Pod music" it's great to be able to get these although I hear that there's a long waiting list and they no longer ship outside the USA!

PostPosted: Sat, Aug 08, 2009 12:06pm 
Rock God

Yep after the second M4 I bought a Mod50 and having a RM100 modded to dual channel. :D

Good deals Ref with viewtopic.php?f=19&t=44053 Updated 6/2/11