Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Sat, Aug 30, 2014 1:12pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun, Mar 15, 2009 7:36pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Fri, Jul 07, 2006 2:45pm
Posts: 1764
Hey dudes,

I'm still on the eternal tone search. I've concluded that I'm a Marshall guy. I love the midrange, punch, and bite. I'm going for a more hotrodded Plexi sound as opposed to a JCM 800. I currently practice with my band at an hourly space, but when we start gigging I want to be ready with an amp.

I want something with more gain than a stock Plexi, master volume, but still the feel and punch of the Plexi. I'm not into the voicing of the Splawns to be honest. I'd love a Cameron, but they seem to only pop up now and then.

Some possibilities:

-Roccaforte HG100
-Budda Superdrive 80

Insight, thoughts, and recommendations are appreciated!

-Joe


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun, Mar 15, 2009 7:50pm 
Offline
Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Jun 24, 2006 8:24pm
Posts: 6822
Splawn Quickrod...

I just noticed you said you didn't like the QR... but that's kind of what you're describing... LOL! :D

_________________
Help me. My doorstop has weird mids... :(
Image

Some clips:
http://www.tonefinder.com/index.php?search=vlad
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=118393


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun, Mar 15, 2009 8:00pm 
Offline
Immortal Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Jun 28, 2006 8:34am
Posts: 11773
Location: 1987
Marshall Vintage Modern?
SLO?
Roccaforte?
Randall MTS with an SL module?
Mojave?

_________________
Suhr! Accept no substitute


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun, Mar 15, 2009 8:14pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Jan 17, 2007 1:31pm
Posts: 1040
I doubt I'll ever get a cameron as well & got tired of the marshall mod hype real fast

this is the direction I went
http://www.overloud.com/media/common/nalbantov/Amp.mp3

just run my audio card out to my mixer and use two tube power amps in a wet/dry setup
:thumbsup:

these guys are on to something IMO
(they just released Ver1.1 which is a pretty killer [& Free!] update to V1.0)

More:
http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:ImLsXcPMYUQJ:www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/7642615-post1.html+http://www.overloud.com/media/common/nalbantov/&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

_________________
I Shirley Manson


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun, Mar 15, 2009 11:41pm 
Offline
Supah Stah
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Jun 24, 2006 11:10am
Posts: 4498
Location: Ohio
Wizard Modern Classic or Metal will end your search. :)

_________________
My Music....http://www.myspace.com/georgeheadmusic

My Store...http://www.guitarranch.net

On Twitter.....http://www.twitter.com/GuitarRanch

On Youtube....http://www.youtube.com/user/Greazygeo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Mar 16, 2009 6:06am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Fri, Jul 07, 2006 2:45pm
Posts: 1764
Thanks for the replies dudes.

Soldano was on the list as well! Most likely a used Avenger or SLO if I can stretch the pennies far enough. Not really looking to go a software route.

I'd LOVE a Wizard, but my pockets aren't deep enough unfortunately. :(

-Joe


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Mar 16, 2009 6:15am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Mon, Dec 08, 2008 12:57pm
Posts: 1581
Location: Dallas, TX (HELL YEAH)
Definantly a Mojave.

_________________
rareguitar wrote:
Man you could put the whole Christopher Columbus Voyage Route on this bad boy in colored pencils with room for Lord General Cornwallis siege on Yorktown on the back side.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Mar 16, 2009 6:56am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Jun 24, 2006 3:48am
Posts: 1047
Location: Boortmeerbeek, Belgium
Aiken Sabre?

_________________
LordRiffenstein: Gear services

Check out my Facebook page!!

My pedal reviews @effectsdatabase.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Mar 16, 2009 6:57am 
Offline
Supah Stah
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Jan 10, 2007 5:40pm
Posts: 3348
I own a Quickrod, played a Roccaforte Custom 80 and a Mojave yesterday. All three are very cool and sound like pissed off Marshall's :rock:


I wouldn't trade my Splawn for any of them though ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Mar 16, 2009 8:25am 
Offline
Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Mon, Jun 26, 2006 2:57pm
Posts: 6991
Location: NJ
My Straub wasn't too compressed...as long as you keep the gain boost under control. That was a KILLER amp!!!

_________________
Never trust a junkie


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Mar 16, 2009 8:38am 
Offline
Immortal Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Mon, Jun 26, 2006 8:50am
Posts: 21518
Location: Connecticut
Grab a 1987x and have a Jose done to it.

Used Bray mod'd SLP or 1987x

_________________
My clips: http://www.youtube.com/user/digijams
http://tonefinder.com/files/94-Natas%20 ... 0test2.mp3


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Mar 16, 2009 8:40am 
Offline
Supah Stah
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Aug 19, 2006 9:36pm
Posts: 4344
Location: PA
Top Hat Emplexador for a good MV solution.

Or a plexi reissue, tube screamer and Ultimate Attenuator.

_________________
Switchback Guitarworks
Facebook | Instagram | Newsletter Signup


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Mar 16, 2009 8:50am 
Offline
Immortal Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Mon, Jun 26, 2006 8:50am
Posts: 21518
Location: Connecticut
psychodave wrote:
Digital Jams wrote:
Grab a 1987x and have a Jose done to it.

Used Bray mod'd SLP or 1987x



Who is going to do the Jose to it?


I would have thought you had that down by now :D


I was thinking Trace could do it, pretty good sounding clips on youtube of his Jose.

_________________
My clips: http://www.youtube.com/user/digijams
http://tonefinder.com/files/94-Natas%20 ... 0test2.mp3


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Mar 16, 2009 9:04am 
Offline
Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Tue, Jun 27, 2006 3:09pm
Posts: 6894
Location: Essex, UK
The ONLY guy i would go to for Jose stuff.. other than Mark Cameron.. is Mike Fortin. He has plenty of experience with them from when he worked at KorgUSA, and he knows how to make big improvements on the Jose stuff to make it sound better and feel better to play.

_________________
Image
http://www.facebook.com/dgamps
http://www.twitter.com/dangower
My videos/soundclips :
http://www.youtube.com/dangower88
http://soundcloud.com/dangower88


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Mar 16, 2009 9:12am 
Offline
Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Jun 24, 2006 8:24pm
Posts: 6822
Not sure if you tried this, but you already have a JCM800, set it up dark and hit it with an OD pedal. Play thru a cab with GB's and you should be good. Unless you just feel like buying something.

_________________
Help me. My doorstop has weird mids... :(
Image

Some clips:
http://www.tonefinder.com/index.php?search=vlad
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=118393


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Mar 16, 2009 9:15am 
Offline
Immortal Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Mon, Jun 26, 2006 8:50am
Posts: 21518
Location: Connecticut
MrDan666 wrote:
The ONLY guy i would go to for Jose stuff.. other than Mark Cameron.. is Mike Fortin. He has plenty of experience with them from when he worked at KorgUSA, and he knows how to make big improvements on the Jose stuff to make it sound better and feel better to play.


Did not know that!

Maybe I could bother Mike with my SLP when he shows up in LI in a few months :D

Kidding............would not ask that while he is visiting :)

_________________
My clips: http://www.youtube.com/user/digijams
http://tonefinder.com/files/94-Natas%20 ... 0test2.mp3


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Mar 16, 2009 10:29am 
Offline
Wannabe a Supah Stah
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Jun 28, 2006 1:21pm
Posts: 2385
you could always buy a mark IV and put it in a marshall replica headbox...

~giggle, snort, chuckle~

:D

_________________
Got Weird Mids?
There's no G in E A R

Image

Splawn Quick Rod
Splawn 4x12 w/ Splawn Smallblock 25s
Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber 1265s
Blackstar HT-5
ESP Skulls n' Snakes W/JB
Frankenstrat Clone w/ Duncan distortion
Epi LP Ultra w/ Duncan Distortion
Rocktron Intellifex Online
Boss DD-20
MXR Phase 90


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Mar 16, 2009 10:33am 
Offline
Immortal Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Mon, Jun 26, 2006 8:50am
Posts: 21518
Location: Connecticut
shreder75 wrote:
you could always buy a mark IV and put it in a marshall replica headbox...

~giggle, snort, chuckle~

:D


I know I am missing the punch line here but what does a MK IV have to do with a Plexi?

_________________
My clips: http://www.youtube.com/user/digijams
http://tonefinder.com/files/94-Natas%20 ... 0test2.mp3


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Mar 16, 2009 10:37am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker

Joined: Thu, Apr 12, 2007 7:06pm
Posts: 1618
Location: SC
Friedman Angry Hippie :rawk:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Mar 16, 2009 12:16pm 
Offline
Immortal Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Aug 02, 2006 4:38pm
Posts: 11065
Location: Savage Levels of Marshally Gain
Image

:)

Steve

_________________
Henning Amplification Website - http://www.henningamps.com
My Music Page (Mojave PeaceMaker, Axe-FX, Mesa MKIV and PODXT Pro Clips)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Mar 16, 2009 12:38pm 
Offline
Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Mon, Jun 26, 2006 2:57pm
Posts: 6991
Location: NJ
sah5150 wrote:
Image

:)

Steve



Clips or it didn't happen

_________________
Never trust a junkie


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Mar 16, 2009 12:54pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Mon, Jul 21, 2008 8:50am
Posts: 1117
Location: Dreamland, USA
fearhk213 wrote:
Friedman Angry Hippie :rawk:


+1. This is where it's at.

_________________
It's real simple: Under-promise and over-deliver.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Mar 16, 2009 1:30pm 
Offline
Rock God Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Tue, Jul 04, 2006 11:03pm
Posts: 4713
sah5150 wrote:
Image

:)

Steve




HELL YEA! :rock:


i can't wait to hear that thing. damn that looks nice!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Mar 16, 2009 1:48pm 
Offline
Supah Stah
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Jun 24, 2006 11:10am
Posts: 4498
Location: Ohio
psychodave wrote:


Who is going to do the Jose to it?
The schematic is out there, not that hard to do it yourself. It was probably a good mod in the day, things have come a long way since then.....

_________________
My Music....http://www.myspace.com/georgeheadmusic

My Store...http://www.guitarranch.net

On Twitter.....http://www.twitter.com/GuitarRanch

On Youtube....http://www.youtube.com/user/Greazygeo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Mar 16, 2009 2:29pm 
Offline
Rock God Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Sun, Jun 25, 2006 2:09am
Posts: 4962
Location: Orange County, Ca
Greazygeo wrote:
psychodave wrote:


Who is going to do the Jose to it?
The schematic is out there, not that hard to do it yourself. It was probably a good mod in the day, things have come a long way since then.....


Yeah, but have tones gotten any better with all these updates and the myriad of choices, seriously? Joe Holmes live tone with his Jose modded Marshalls was freaking devastating. His Jose's weren't "updated" or "improved upon". I don't know how to say this too nicely, but I don't know how these east coast guys have gotten their hands on a fair enough number of Jose's to determine which is a good sounding Jose and which isn't. When Jose was modding amps, there was no ebay and no gear forum classifieds. There was almost no way to get yourself a Jose mod if you lived in Chicago or New York or Tampa. It was like finding a unicorn. I don't know how or why a guy who worked at Korg, 3000 miles away from where Jose was modding amps would have seen a decent enough number of them to establish what constituted a good Jose and what didn't. Yeah, it's the same country but to put it in perspective, LA to NY is farther than London to Moscow. Not that many Jose's made it east before they had been "worked on" or "updated" by someone else.

You want a Jose type mod in a Marshall, I have to say you want an established, LA guy to do it:

Mark Cameron (you might have better luck finding that unicorn ;) Just kidding Mark)

Dave Friedman

Martin Golub - maintains Joe Holmes amps

As for east coast guys, no offense, but we won't tell them about how pizza should be made and they shouldn't talk to us about how many killer sounding, unmolested Jose's they've been inside of (uh oh, don barzini is going to LOVE that last sentence)

:lol: :LOL:

_________________
Dealer for Charvel Custom Shop and Pro Mods, Jackson Guitars, EVH Amplifiers, Randall Amplification, Splawn Amplification, Seymour Duncan, Arcane & EMG Pickups, Floyd Rose, Godin and Seagull Acoustic Guitars, Brass Charvel parts. Plus quite a bit of used gear
http://www.myspace.com/squidmusic1


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Mar 16, 2009 3:10pm 
Offline
Immortal Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Aug 02, 2006 4:38pm
Posts: 11065
Location: Savage Levels of Marshally Gain
Chubtone wrote:
Yeah, but have tones gotten any better with all these updates and the myriad of choices, seriously? Joe Holmes live tone with his Jose modded Marshalls was freaking devastating.


Image
Image

Steve

_________________
Henning Amplification Website - http://www.henningamps.com
My Music Page (Mojave PeaceMaker, Axe-FX, Mesa MKIV and PODXT Pro Clips)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Mar 16, 2009 3:25pm 
Offline
Hack

Joined: Mon, Mar 16, 2009 3:20pm
Posts: 2
http://davidbrayamps.com/soundclips.html


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Mar 16, 2009 4:01pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Fri, Jul 07, 2006 2:45pm
Posts: 1764
Wow, thanks for all the replies guys!

I forgot to mention that I got rid of the 800 but still have my Metro 50 watt build. If I could somehow hotrod this one, then maybe it would be a good solution.

In the meantime, I am going to soak in all the info that you guys have provided so far. I wonder if Bray would mod a Plexi clone such as mine. Hmmmm.

I'll look into Dave Friedman as well. thanks!

-Joe


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Mar 16, 2009 4:02pm 
Offline
Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Mon, Jun 26, 2006 2:57pm
Posts: 6991
Location: NJ
mightyjoeyoungxnj wrote:
Wow, thanks for all the replies guys!

I forgot to mention that I got rid of the 800 but still have my Metro 50 watt build. If I could somehow hotrod this one, then maybe it would be a good solution.

In the meantime, I am going to soak in all the info that you guys have provided so far. I wonder if Bray would mod a Plexi clone such as mine. Hmmmm.

I'll look into Dave Friedman as well. thanks!

-Joe



Send your Metro to Bray, Voodoo or Friedman....problem solved!!!

_________________
Never trust a junkie


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Mar 16, 2009 4:08pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Fri, Jul 07, 2006 2:45pm
Posts: 1764
AmpliFIRE wrote:
mightyjoeyoungxnj wrote:
Wow, thanks for all the replies guys!

I forgot to mention that I got rid of the 800 but still have my Metro 50 watt build. If I could somehow hotrod this one, then maybe it would be a good solution.

In the meantime, I am going to soak in all the info that you guys have provided so far. I wonder if Bray would mod a Plexi clone such as mine. Hmmmm.

I'll look into Dave Friedman as well. thanks!

-Joe



Send your Metro to Bray, Voodoo or Friedman....problem solved!!!


Might do that bro...:-)

Wish Friedman had more info on his mods!

-Joe


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Mar 16, 2009 4:25pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker
User avatar

Joined: Mon, Jul 07, 2008 2:34pm
Posts: 986
The Landry LS100 does the rodded Plexi awesome.Factor in the great clean channel and killer bluesy crunch on the dirt channel before you kick in the high gain and you've got an extremely versatile beast.Hands down the best amp I've ever played and I've tried everything from Splawn,Bogner,Budda,Cameron modded Marshalls,stock Marshalls etc.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Mar 16, 2009 4:35pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Fri, Jul 07, 2006 2:45pm
Posts: 1764
Yeah I've seen the Landry's as well...They do look great!

I'm leaning towards a Bray Mod/Rework - II right now! Sounds awesome.

-Joe


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Mar 16, 2009 4:38pm 
Offline
Immortal Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Jun 28, 2006 8:34am
Posts: 11773
Location: 1987
mightyjoeyoungxnj wrote:
Yeah I've seen the Landry's as well...They do look great!

I'm leaning towards a Bray Mod/Rework - II right now! Sounds awesome.

-Joe



Yeah his stuff sounds great to my ears. Not a super tight low end but great tone!

_________________
Suhr! Accept no substitute


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Mar 16, 2009 5:14pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Fri, Jul 07, 2006 2:45pm
Posts: 1764
yngzaklynch wrote:
mightyjoeyoungxnj wrote:
Yeah I've seen the Landry's as well...They do look great!

I'm leaning towards a Bray Mod/Rework - II right now! Sounds awesome.

-Joe



Yeah his stuff sounds great to my ears. Not a super tight low end but great tone!


Might tighten it a bit with a tubescreamer...But I'm diggin' how the II sounds right now!

-Joe


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Mar 16, 2009 7:52pm 
Offline
Hack

Joined: Tue, Mar 03, 2009 6:38pm
Posts: 21
You should check out the Elmwood Modena's - great amps. They might be a bit spendy, but they do pop up used now and again.

Good luck in the search!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Mar 16, 2009 11:02pm 
Offline
Supah Stah
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Jun 24, 2006 11:10am
Posts: 4498
Location: Ohio
Chubtone wrote:
Greazygeo wrote:
psychodave wrote:


Who is going to do the Jose to it?
The schematic is out there, not that hard to do it yourself. It was probably a good mod in the day, things have come a long way since then.....


Yeah, but have tones gotten any better with all these updates and the myriad of choices, seriously? Joe Holmes live tone with his Jose modded Marshalls was freaking devastating. His Jose's weren't "updated" or "improved upon". I don't know how to say this too nicely, but I don't know how these east coast guys have gotten their hands on a fair enough number of Jose's to determine which is a good sounding Jose and which isn't. When Jose was modding amps, there was no ebay and no gear forum classifieds. There was almost no way to get yourself a Jose mod if you lived in Chicago or New York or Tampa. It was like finding a unicorn. I don't know how or why a guy who worked at Korg, 3000 miles away from where Jose was modding amps would have seen a decent enough number of them to establish what constituted a good Jose and what didn't. Yeah, it's the same country but to put it in perspective, LA to NY is farther than London to Moscow. Not that many Jose's made it east before they had been "worked on" or "updated" by someone else.

You want a Jose type mod in a Marshall, I have to say you want an established, LA guy to do it:

Mark Cameron (you might have better luck finding that unicorn ;) Just kidding Mark)

Dave Friedman

Martin Golub - maintains Joe Holmes amps

As for east coast guys, no offense, but we won't tell them about how pizza should be made and they shouldn't talk to us about how many killer sounding, unmolested Jose's they've been inside of (uh oh, don barzini is going to LOVE that last sentence)

:lol: :LOL:
I forgot the quest for tone stopped in '78......send me some of that Kool aid!

_________________
My Music....http://www.myspace.com/georgeheadmusic

My Store...http://www.guitarranch.net

On Twitter.....http://www.twitter.com/GuitarRanch

On Youtube....http://www.youtube.com/user/Greazygeo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Mar 16, 2009 11:57pm 
Offline
Rock God Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Sun, Jun 25, 2006 2:09am
Posts: 4962
Location: Orange County, Ca
Greazygeo wrote:
I forgot the quest for tone stopped in '78......send me some of that Kool aid!


Dude, I'm not one of those myopic VH fan boys. While I like his tone quite a bit, there are quite a few tones I like that came after that too. Most of which we agree on, Rhoads live tone, Le Tekro, Accept, both of us are pretty anti-Boogie too. But when the topic of conversation turns to Jose mods, well I was just commenting that Joe Holmes tone in 1995 which I believe is quite a bit later than '78, was the best live tone I have ever heard. So if we are talking SPECIFICALLY Jose mods than I don't think they NEED updating or improving or sending to the east coast for duplicating. That's all I was saying.

I'm not sending you any Kool Aid George. I will however send you some nice, new, white Nikes so we can both be ready when the Hale Bop comet comes.

_________________
Dealer for Charvel Custom Shop and Pro Mods, Jackson Guitars, EVH Amplifiers, Randall Amplification, Splawn Amplification, Seymour Duncan, Arcane & EMG Pickups, Floyd Rose, Godin and Seagull Acoustic Guitars, Brass Charvel parts. Plus quite a bit of used gear
http://www.myspace.com/squidmusic1


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue, Mar 17, 2009 8:10am 
Offline
Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Tue, Jun 27, 2006 3:09pm
Posts: 6894
Location: Essex, UK
Chubtone wrote:
Yeah, but have tones gotten any better with all these updates and the myriad of choices, seriously? Joe Holmes live tone with his Jose modded Marshalls was freaking devastating. His Jose's weren't "updated" or "improved upon". I don't know how to say this too nicely, but I don't know how these east coast guys have gotten their hands on a fair enough number of Jose's to determine which is a good sounding Jose and which isn't. When Jose was modding amps, there was no ebay and no gear forum classifieds. There was almost no way to get yourself a Jose mod if you lived in Chicago or New York or Tampa. It was like finding a unicorn. I don't know how or why a guy who worked at Korg, 3000 miles away from where Jose was modding amps would have seen a decent enough number of them to establish what constituted a good Jose and what didn't. Yeah, it's the same country but to put it in perspective, LA to NY is farther than London to Moscow. Not that many Jose's made it east before they had been "worked on" or "updated" by someone else.

You want a Jose type mod in a Marshall, I have to say you want an established, LA guy to do it:

Mark Cameron (you might have better luck finding that unicorn ;) Just kidding Mark)

Dave Friedman

Martin Golub - maintains Joe Holmes amps

As for east coast guys, no offense, but we won't tell them about how pizza should be made and they shouldn't talk to us about how many killer sounding, unmolested Jose's they've been inside of (uh oh, don barzini is going to LOVE that last sentence)

:lol: :LOL:


Hey Curt,

That's cool and i know what your saying. but the reason i mentioned how some of these guys can update them or get them sounding even better.. is because, from what i have been told by both Mark Cameron, Mike Fortin and a bunch of other techs too.. is that there were some killer sounding Jose's but there were more than the fair share which absolutely sucked and sounded flat out BAD.
It makes sense too because Jose didnt play guitar.. So i guess he would mod them and go by what they technically 'should' sound like.. not what they 'DO' actually sound like. As you know very well, Mark Cameron's stuff is always so good consistently because he personally plays the crap out of every single amp that he works on, just to make sure its all sounding/feeling its best.. Mike does the same thing too, he's another guy who plays his stuff in a ton and makes sure its 110% perfect before it leaves the shop. Because Jose didn't do this, its no surprise that some came out sounding mindblowing, and a bunch of em came out sounding like shit!

When i say about updating or improving a Jose.. it doesn't have to mean changing the tone drastically or anything. Its more a case of making the amp sound consistent, much lower noise, and improving reliability too. Obviously a Jose can easily be made to sound much higher gain or more modern like a Cameron.. But that isn't always neccesary IMO :) Sometimes a few simple tweaks in the circuit could bring it to life and sound better than it did!

Its obvious that many techs in LA will have had the chance to see a shitload of Jose mods.. but keep in mind, a ton of the LA bands would tour and play on the East coast. So i have no doubts that a lot of techs based on the East coast will have got to work on/service Jose mods (real untouched ones). :yes:

_________________
Image
http://www.facebook.com/dgamps
http://www.twitter.com/dangower
My videos/soundclips :
http://www.youtube.com/dangower88
http://soundcloud.com/dangower88


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue, Mar 17, 2009 8:21am 
Offline
Immortal Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Aug 02, 2006 4:38pm
Posts: 11065
Location: Savage Levels of Marshally Gain
donbarzini wrote:
sah5150 wrote:
Chubtone wrote:
Yeah, but have tones gotten any better with all these updates and the myriad of choices, seriously? Joe Holmes live tone with his Jose modded Marshalls was freaking devastating.


Image
Image

Steve


I don't hear anything.

You will though...

Steve

_________________
Henning Amplification Website - http://www.henningamps.com
My Music Page (Mojave PeaceMaker, Axe-FX, Mesa MKIV and PODXT Pro Clips)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue, Mar 17, 2009 8:22am 
Offline
Apprentice NOOB

Joined: Sun, Feb 08, 2009 10:02pm
Posts: 111
Talk to Trace at Voodoo Amps - he'll tell you what to get based on what you want. And Voodoo can deliver.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue, Mar 17, 2009 8:37am 
Offline
Immortal Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Mon, Jun 26, 2006 8:50am
Posts: 21518
Location: Connecticut
East Coast represent y0!!!!! :D

Curt is on something and it is not Kool Aid............... :lol: :LOL: He is feeling the heat since his Mojave partner in crime Pat has left him for a FENDER so he is a tad tense so I will let that mud sling of his slide this time :yes:

Well.................he is correct with me at least as I have dick knowledge of Jose mods :lol: :LOL:

_________________
My clips: http://www.youtube.com/user/digijams
http://tonefinder.com/files/94-Natas%20 ... 0test2.mp3


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue, Mar 17, 2009 8:47am 
Offline
Immortal Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Aug 02, 2006 4:38pm
Posts: 11065
Location: Savage Levels of Marshally Gain
donbarzini wrote:
sah5150 wrote:
You will though...

Steve


I look forward to anything you do.

:hys:

Steve

_________________
Henning Amplification Website - http://www.henningamps.com
My Music Page (Mojave PeaceMaker, Axe-FX, Mesa MKIV and PODXT Pro Clips)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue, Mar 17, 2009 9:57am 
Offline
Supah Stah
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Feb 24, 2007 3:37pm
Posts: 2501
Location: in a volvo down by the river...
Digital Jams wrote:

Well.................he is correct with me at least as I have dick knowledge of Jose mods :lol: :LOL:




Yeah, but you grill a mean ass steak :rock:

_________________
4 out of 3 people have a problem with fractions


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue, Mar 17, 2009 10:30am 
Offline
Immortal Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Mon, Jun 26, 2006 12:49pm
Posts: 13508
Location: NJ
mightyjoeyoungxnj wrote:
Hey dudes,

I'm still on the eternal tone search. I've concluded that I'm a Marshall guy. I love the midrange, punch, and bite. I'm going for a more hotrodded Plexi sound as opposed to a JCM 800. I currently practice with my band at an hourly space, but when we start gigging I want to be ready with an amp.

I want something with more gain than a stock Plexi, master volume, but still the feel and punch of the Plexi. I'm not into the voicing of the Splawns to be honest. I'd love a Cameron, but they seem to only pop up now and then.

Some possibilities:

-Roccaforte HG100
-Budda Superdrive 80

Insight, thoughts, and recommendations are appreciated!

-Joe


There was a Roccaforte HG100 in East Brunswick GC for $1000. That was a few weeks ago, give them a call to see if they still have it.

_________________
My Clips.
http://soundcloud.com/danieldowning
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue, Mar 17, 2009 10:36am 
Offline
Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Jun 24, 2006 8:24pm
Posts: 6822
danyeo wrote:
mightyjoeyoungxnj wrote:
Hey dudes,

I'm still on the eternal tone search. I've concluded that I'm a Marshall guy. I love the midrange, punch, and bite. I'm going for a more hotrodded Plexi sound as opposed to a JCM 800. I currently practice with my band at an hourly space, but when we start gigging I want to be ready with an amp.

I want something with more gain than a stock Plexi, master volume, but still the feel and punch of the Plexi. I'm not into the voicing of the Splawns to be honest. I'd love a Cameron, but they seem to only pop up now and then.

Some possibilities:

-Roccaforte HG100
-Budda Superdrive 80

Insight, thoughts, and recommendations are appreciated!

-Joe


There was a Roccaforte HG100 in East Brunswick GC for $1000. That was a few weeks ago, give them a call to see if they still have it.


That thing has been there at least 2 years now.

_________________
Help me. My doorstop has weird mids... :(
Image

Some clips:
http://www.tonefinder.com/index.php?search=vlad
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=118393


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue, Mar 17, 2009 3:25pm 
Offline
Rock God Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Sun, Jun 25, 2006 2:09am
Posts: 4962
Location: Orange County, Ca
Digital Jams wrote:
East Coast represent y0!!!!! :D

Curt is on something and it is not Kool Aid............... :lol: :LOL: He is feeling the heat since his Mojave partner in crime Pat has left him for a FENDER so he is a tad tense so I will let that mud sling of his slide this time :yes:

Well.................he is correct with me at least as I have dick knowledge of Jose mods :lol: :LOL:


Scott,
All my Mojave bros left me, sah5150, Pat, Zachman and even billybogner, though still a Mojave owner is too busy having a life to join me on here so I am alone. Plus I barely even recognize billybogner anymore since he posts as mark k, or komanawannalayya or something like that.

_________________
Dealer for Charvel Custom Shop and Pro Mods, Jackson Guitars, EVH Amplifiers, Randall Amplification, Splawn Amplification, Seymour Duncan, Arcane & EMG Pickups, Floyd Rose, Godin and Seagull Acoustic Guitars, Brass Charvel parts. Plus quite a bit of used gear
http://www.myspace.com/squidmusic1


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue, Mar 17, 2009 4:46pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Fri, Jul 07, 2006 2:45pm
Posts: 1764
danyeo wrote:
mightyjoeyoungxnj wrote:
Hey dudes,

I'm still on the eternal tone search. I've concluded that I'm a Marshall guy. I love the midrange, punch, and bite. I'm going for a more hotrodded Plexi sound as opposed to a JCM 800. I currently practice with my band at an hourly space, but when we start gigging I want to be ready with an amp.

I want something with more gain than a stock Plexi, master volume, but still the feel and punch of the Plexi. I'm not into the voicing of the Splawns to be honest. I'd love a Cameron, but they seem to only pop up now and then.

Some possibilities:

-Roccaforte HG100
-Budda Superdrive 80

Insight, thoughts, and recommendations are appreciated!

-Joe


There was a Roccaforte HG100 in East Brunswick GC for $1000. That was a few weeks ago, give them a call to see if they still have it.


Really?? Hmmm now.

I wouldn't mind a bit more compression guys. Maybe I overstated that I wanted little to no in my post. I could see myself playing something with a Soldano style gain.

-Joe


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun, May 31, 2009 6:49am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee

Joined: Tue, Jul 04, 2006 8:13am
Posts: 378
Location: scranton,pa
joey, I am having a dilemma like such, i have a few killer amps and went thru a bunch, splawn ordered a brand new nitro, sold it in a month, borrowed a quickrod...better still lacking saturation...I have a diamond phantom,diezel herbert,and a peavey 6505+ that i always go back to for band setting, but you have to check out ELMWOOD MODENA AMPS, i was digging last night, go to their web site and listen to the clips, esp the modena 60 martial allart one called tribal sword, that amp is what you are talking about, I am blown away by it, also check netmusicians.org for the modena clips their, and you tube... every where i go no matter which clip amazing, the cleans are just perfect sounding.

_________________
http://www.dropveil.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun, May 31, 2009 12:09pm 
Offline
Rock God Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Sun, Jul 23, 2006 3:07am
Posts: 4850
Location: Austin, TX
mightyjoeyoungxnj wrote:
Wow, thanks for all the replies guys!

I forgot to mention that I got rid of the 800 but still have my Metro 50 watt build. If I could somehow hotrod this one, then maybe it would be a good solution.

In the meantime, I am going to soak in all the info that you guys have provided so far. I wonder if Bray would mod a Plexi clone such as mine. Hmmmm.

I'll look into Dave Friedman as well. thanks!

-Joe


If you have that amp and are going for pushed higher gain plexi tones, you are damn near there, bro. Just put a PPIMV in it and smack it with a good OD when you need it. Done. :thumbsup: Or if you can play it loud, leave out the MV and just crank it up. My Metro 50 watt sounds ungodly at loud levels with just a BB Pre in front. :rock:

_________________
Image Image
I like guitars and amps.
My Clips
My YouTube Channel


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun, May 31, 2009 12:12pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Tue, Jul 04, 2006 6:13pm
Posts: 432
Location: Dallas, Texas
Consider the Roccaforte Custom 80 also

_________________
1994 White Chassis Bogner Ecstasy 101B
Marshall JMP50 modded similar to XTC Blue Channel with boost option and FX loop Youtube link to my 76 modded JMP 50
Bogner Oversized 2x12 vintage 30's


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: eraserhead101, Everyonesdarling, Fox77, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], headlessdeadguy, JerEvil, lespaul6, Mesa\Kramer, mojotone, mystixboi, November5th, rokket2005, spliffsperlunk, stephen sawall, Yahoo [Bot] and 32 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group