What to use to oil guitar body and neck

messenger

What should I use to oil an Alder body and Maple neck? I'd prefer something I can get local. I hear about people using gunstock oil.

If your talking about raw unfinished wood I agree with projectx102, I use four coats of Minwax Tung Oil finish sanding lightly with #0000 steel wool between coats, then use a tack cloth after sanding to clean the surface. There after for occasional cleaning I use Formby's Lemon Oil Treament.

PS, nothing on the fretboard.

The popular recommendation is Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil gunstock finish, which I have used with good results.

Tru-oil is great stuff. There's more to it than just oil though, it builds up into a pretty durable finish.

Tung oil. Len seed oil. I have been using Remington "Rem Oil," which is a gun oil for years on my maple necks and I think it does a great job. I also have plenty of it on hand, as I shoot often. It will really make bird's eye grain pop out. So I consider it a "win/win."

Back up for a sec - are you talking about finishing raw wood, or maintenance on something that is already finished? Big difference...

I'm talking about a new neck and body. I've ordered a alder body, and maple neck from Musikraft. there website says they use a shellac sealer on the necks.

Back