Played the Marshall Haze today

maiden_fan

I played the head into a bunch of differant cabs with a 08 american strat. I thought it was great, had it about 3 oclock on the master and it had nice power tube saturation, sounded awesome with the strat for rock and van halen type stuff. The onboard effects are a nice touch and are quite subtle which would put some people off. The clean was very nice and the gain was very fat and crunchy about the same amount as a cranked jcm 800 mabye a bit more.

I compared it the Vox night train and imo there was no comparison the Haze just sounded better.

Im not sure I see the point of these low watt tube amps though as to get it sounding great you still have to crank it louder than bedroom volume imo and for a gig I would take a 50 or 100 watt head for the headroom.

Tony

What I find strange about the Haze is that the head is 15Watts and the combo is 40Watts. Its just the opposite of how they did the DSL series.

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp ... Type=SPECS

Did you happen to compare the Haze to an Orange Rockerverb 50? The RV50 also has 6V6's in the power section, so it would be interesting to see how they compare.

The Vox nightrain is getting pretty good reviews from what I have read so far, so if the Haze sounds better that is saying something....

bunghole":2ua6u8ol said:
I like this small amp craze thats been going on
I don't. I don't like spending that much money on amps I can't gig with. I need at least 50, and preferably 100, watts to keep up with our drummer.

maiden_fan":oban2dz1 said:
Im in the UK, so i think so lol
We don't have it here in the states yet.

Maybe you should play it again and take your camcorder. I'd love to see it in action.

bds9487":3kra2vz4 said:
I don't. I don't like spending that much money on amps I can't gig with. I need at least 50, and preferably 100, watts to keep up with our drummer.

You need that much power to get the thump of a big 100Watter or you need that much clean headroom?

I just find in some cases my 40 and 50Watt amps are just too much and it would be nice to have a smaller amp. The problem in the past with smaller low wattage amps is that the features were stripped off them. That seems to be slowing changing.

I played the Haze 40 watt combo yesterday for about half an hour at a music store.
Turned it up loud and it gets to gig volume for me no problem. I wanted to buy it, but decided I should research the quality issues with it first seeing as it's new and there could be some out of the gate issues. Apparently there are a few bugs to be worked out, so I'm going to wait until the amp is more reliably leaving the factory without problems, not going to be a problem tester.

It's definitely on my want list for next year.

psychodave":1dmyitvu said:
The Haze is okay... but once again, the 15 watter has no effects loop :doh:

I prefer my Blackstar HT5 :thumbsup:

blackstar? hell that 1/2 watt micro amp sounded fucking stellar through your rig :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :rock:

Back