Van Halen F.U.C.K. album

bstaley

I never really paid much attention to this album but today I am listening to it at work and the tone just kills. Anybody have any idea on what he was using? Is this SLO?

Also, I hear some sort of chorusing or detuning going on. Anybody know what that was and was it recorded that way from the amp or added during mixdown?

bstaley":1bqhxvyr said:
I never really paid much attention to this album but today I am listening to it at work and the tone just kills. Anybody have any idea on what he was using? Is this SLO?

Also, I hear some sort of chorusing or detuning going on. Anybody know what that was and was it recorded that way from the amp or added during mixdown?
It is an SLO...

W/D/W setup with an Eventide H3000 set for stereo micropitchshift and delay (+9/-9 cents L/R, 250 ms delay L/450 ms delay R). All three cabs (1 dry straight from the head) mic'd and mixed. You don't want a lot of the stereo effects - just low in the mix - kinda icing on the cake if you will...

(You can get the same effect of the Axe-FX...)

That will get you the tone exactly. I know because I used to have a SLO and an Eventide H3000-D/SX

Steve

sah5150":13k7e03s said:
bstaley":13k7e03s said:

It is an SLO...

W/D/W setup with an Eventide H3000 set for stereo micropitchshift and delay (+9/-9 cents L/R 250 ms delay L/450 ms delay R). All three cabs (1 dry straight from the head) mic'd and mixed. (You can get the same effect of the Axe-FX...)

That will get you the tone exactly. I know because I used to have a SLO and an Eventide H3000-D/SX

Steve
Another thing is how he records. He used a 2" 24 track analog machine with a 8 track head stack. So, 2" tape running at 30 ips to record 8 tracks= SUPER FAT TONE!

sah5150":1f48t62e said:
bstaley":1f48t62e said:

It is an SLO...

W/D/W setup with an Eventide H3000 set for stereo micropitchshift and delay (+9/-9 cents L/R 250 ms delay L/450 ms delay R). All three cabs (1 dry straight from the head) mic'd and mixed. You don't want a lot of the stereo effects - just low in the mix - kinda icing on the cake if you will...

Steve

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I'm thinking that my Egnater EG5 module can get real close to that and I'm certain with the Axe-FX I can program similar effects. I can't wait to try this.

bstaley":259u80kh said:
sah5150":259u80kh said:
bstaley":259u80kh said:

It is an SLO...

W/D/W setup with an Eventide H3000 set for stereo micropitchshift and delay (+9/-9 cents L/R 250 ms delay L/450 ms delay R). All three cabs (1 dry straight from the head) mic'd and mixed. You don't want a lot of the stereo effects - just low in the mix - kinda icing on the cake if you will...

Steve

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I'm thinking that my Egnater EG5 module can get real close to that and I'm certain with the Axe-FX I can program similar effects. I can't wait to try this.
I have a preset for stereo micropitchshift/delay for the Axe-FX Ultra that mimics this effect identically. If you want it, I'll export it. Lemme know...

Steve

On at least "The Dream is Over" EVH used a prototype CAE (Suhr) 3+ Preamp into the poweramp of either his Marshall or SLO.

That's the best tone on the record IMO. The EG5 is the way to go to cop it. I actually recorded a little demo of that the other night but haven't posted it to the clip collective because I think I could do it better.

+9 -9 on the stereo detune. Peavey Tubefex #1 Patch is "Browncake" and it cops that tone as well (albeit its a lot more processed sounding and not as organic).

sah5150":1t5d5f0c said:
I have a preset for stereo micropitchshift/delay for the Axe-FX Ultra that mimics this effect identically. If you want it, I'll export it. Lemme know...

Steve

Yes that would be great. Please send it to bstaley71 AT comcast DOT net. I'll try it tonight. Thanks.

marvcus":1w7oneym said:
On at least "The Dream is Over" EVH used a prototype CAE (Suhr) 3+ Preamp into the poweramp of either his Marshall or SLO.

That's the best tone on the record IMO. The EG5 is the way to go to cop it. I actually recorded a little demo of that the other night but haven't posted it to the clip collective because I think I could do it better.

+9 -9 on the stereo detune. Peavey Tubefex #1 Patch is "Browncake" and it cops that tone as well (albeit its a lot more processed sounding and not as organic).

Would love to hear your clip when it is posted.

bstaley":1u2s8t4y said:
sah5150":1u2s8t4y said:

Steve

Yes that would be great. Please send it to bstaley71 AT comcast DOT net. I'll try it tonight. Thanks.
Ok, I'll get it to you when I get home... It's stereo, so you need a stereo power amp...

Steve

I am going to have to duck after this post, but while I love the songs on this one, I hate Eddies tone - way too processed and muddy. I much prefer his tone on Balance, although I would be the first to admit the songs are not as strong.

BTW - everyone mentions the SLO, but didnt he also use a prototype 5150 on this album?

JQ

sah5150":2eo16ed9 said:
crwnedblasphemy":2eo16ed9 said:
Amsterdam smokes!
'cept it's on Balance and we're discussing F.U.C.K. :yes:

Steve

True....pretty sure there was more SLO on the Balance album though. I sure liked the mix on Balance better :yes:
I remember John Suhr talked quite abit about the F.U.C.K. album and there was some Soldano but not as much as people think.

For the F.U.C.K. album he used a SLO slaved into his Marshall. The proto 5150 was used for tracking a few solos. The 5150 guitar was only used on "Judgement Day." The rest of the album was cut with the EB EVH proto. Except for "Pleasure Dome" which is the Steinberger, and "Runaround" which is a tele.

This album contains my personal favorite EVH tone. It also has the band's strongest material, IMHO.

sah5150":bvi3l495 said:
bstaley":bvi3l495 said:

It is an SLO...

W/D/W setup with an Eventide H3000 set for stereo micropitchshift and delay (+9/-9 cents L/R, 250 ms delay L/450 ms delay R). All three cabs (1 dry straight from the head) mic'd and mixed. You don't want a lot of the stereo effects - just low in the mix - kinda icing on the cake if you will...

Steve

I remember you posting about this on another thread. Can the Axe standard utilize your setting?

Back