Did some cork sniffing: Series/Parallel vs Parallel/Series

hunter

Cork sniffing or real? :confused:

Well, I have to say, after I wired my cab with a switch to test the two alternatives (both give 16 Ohm total load with 4 16 Ohm speakers), I can say that there is definitely a difference, very noticeable in the room, still noticeable on recording.

I also did two sound files, using a Tascam DR-1 to try and capture the room. I think even on this recording you can hear a difference - both recordings were made just 2 minutes apart, all settings identical, just switched amp to standby to switch the cab from one wiring to the other.

Here are the two files, which are named in "vintage" and "modern". "Vintage" relates to below schematic with the white wire disconnected (parallel/series, standard Marshall). "Modern" relates to the setting where the white wire is connected (series/parallel).

Vintage (disconnected:)
http://www.klangforschungszentrum.de/te ... intage.mp3

Modern (connected:)
http://www.klangforschungszentrum.de/te ... modern.mp3

:checkthisout:

I used a schematic from Acys-Lounge.de which I attach here.

By the way, I prefer Vintage, it feels nicer to play and gives more harmonic feedback. Modern tightens up the low end, increases dispersion, shifts the mids up a notch and adds treble. It can be useful depending on amp/room/style.

Attachments

• AGL_4x12_schalt_16ohm.jpg
    AGL_4x12_schalt_16ohm.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 2,839
Very cool. I hear quite a difference, will listen more closely when I get home. I often re-wire my cabs to all parallel (4 ohms) for a change of pace.

That was awesome ! Thanks for doing that. Vintage for me for sure and I can definitely hear a difference even on these shitty speakers hear at work! :rock:

thegame":31whcenx said:
Very cool. I hear quite a difference, will listen more closely when I get home. I often re-wire my cabs to all parallel (4 ohms) for a change of pace.

Yeah that's what it was when I got it here (the guy had a Dr. Z without 16 Ohm tap). I think the tone was more close to "modern" from what I remember, but I don't have a wiring schematic for that one unfortunately. Marshall has a 16/4 switch, maybe I should look into that, but it's just awful plastic :no:

I'll also add there is a certain "texture" that each ohm load/wiring method has that cannot be appropriated with the amps tone controls.

hunter":1haxwvy4 said:
nbarts":1haxwvy4 said:
Thank you, that was great!

Glad you liked it. How would you describe the difference from the mp3?

Modern brought the sound upfront & made it more defined, nice high mid content, while loosing some of the space feel. I like modern better.

The difference is very noticeable. Which I would prefer would really depend on the amp and music I would use with it. Very cool though. I think with the SLOs I would prefer vintage.

You can try it out yourself, Dave, if you like. The straight cab on the far right in the demo room is wired like that (the one with the 6" gold and 100 logo w/basketweave cloth/black tolex). I changed it over to that three weeks ago. All the others are wired in regular vintage Marshall style.

Southbay Scumback":274n4yds said:
You can try it out yourself, Dave, if you like. The straight cab on the far right in the demo room is wired like that (the one with the 6" gold and 100 logo w/basketweave cloth/black tolex). I changed it over to that three weeks ago. All the others are wired in regular vintage Marshall style.

You are the man. I saw the SLO combo that was recomended, so we (you :D ) need to hook one of those up to try. :rock:

Shark Diver":2kc0coib said:
The difference is very noticeable. Which I would prefer would really depend on the amp and music I would use with it. Very cool though. I think with the SLOs I would prefer vintage.

No problem, just send me one of your rack-SLOs and I'll check it out for you :rock:

Thanks for doing that, I have not seen that wiring before. I always thought there was just series, parallel, and series parrallel :rock:

Here is another schematic, for people who like this view more:

Attachments

• Par_Ser_vs_Ser_Par.jpg
    Par_Ser_vs_Ser_Par.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 2,977
hunter":1mheczre said:
Shark Diver":1mheczre said:

No problem, just send me one of your rack-SLOs and I'll check it out for you :rock:

You're sitting pretty with that 100B. ;) Great amp as well. :rock: :rock:

Back