Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Wed, Jul 23, 2014 11:00am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Isolation Cabinets
PostPosted: Thu, Apr 22, 2010 10:05am 
Hack

So, I've been thinking of moving away from VST's and direct guitar devices and going back to actually mic'ing amps and cabs. Imagine that! I have no closet space in my modest basement studio to record amps, so iso boxes seem like an attractive option. They are bloody expensive though, it seems. I'm a pretty good carpenter, and was thinking I could build one out of birch ply, but don't know if there are any special things I need to consider: dimensions? porting? air flow? I have toyed with the idea of both a built in speaker, like the commercial ones, or just a box/housing for my Avatar 1 12" Cube cabinet and just stick it inside whatever I build. Has anyone on here done this or built one? Thanks, a former HC'er.

Post subject: Re: Isolation Cabinets
PostPosted: Thu, Apr 22, 2010 10:42am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Jet City Amplification is coming out with one for $399 with a built-in USB interface in addition to XLR inputs, so that's a good one to consider. Stay away from Grendel; you may have seen the countless threads with people experiencing difficulties with getting their products. Kind of a shame, because it seems that everyone who has one is happy with it.

I wish Avatar would make one, since the rest of their products are so nice. Dave doesn't seem interested though; I suggested it to him awhile back and he said there were absolutely no plans for it.

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 22, 2010 12:10pm 
Hack

That USB output sounds cool. I'll poke around and see what I can find.

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 22, 2010 12:18pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

The Jet City is probably a good idea to start with, since it´s the cheapest one out there and the rest of their line seems pretty darn solid.

I´d want to try the Rivera Silent Sister, though... seems like they´ve put a lot of serious thought into it.

A lot of the earlier isocabs (like the Randall and what not) seemed to need a bit of mod work to really sound good and efficiently dampen the room volume, judging from what many owners said about them and did to them, so hopefully these newer offerings are better.

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 22, 2010 5:03pm 
Rock God

ISO cabs get pretty expensive. I ended up ordering a custom built one and rarely use it, a lot of things you have to mess with, and thats mic placement and getting it to not sound too "boxy" :( I just find it way easier to go direct, especially when you use Impulse responses and great IR files like the ones offerred by Red Wire.

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 24, 2010 10:55am 
Hack

Morning guys - hopefully I can be of assistance here. Timing is quite good as I have spent a lot of time on this project during the past week, and this morning.
Obviously, our JetStream is our first foray into this type of product, and if it does will in the market perhaps we can expand the range into other products too.
I believe products like this are really valuable to guitarists and would be very popular if a) they were simply more affordable and b) more people even KNEW what they are. Hopefully we solve both of those issues with the first product and that leads to more.
Anyway, the JetStream was engineered to our requirements by Eminence in KY and is being built at their factory in Asia. I've been there several times personally and am VERY happy with what they're doing there. It's nearly done and I'm confident it's going to bring the concept to a whole new range of players.
And YES, agreed, as noted here, like any micing/acoustic guitar recording device, using our JetStream effectively IS going to require some know-how, some trial and error, etc. And let's not forget how important the MIC is!!!

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 24, 2010 11:08am 
Supah Stah

http://www.jetcityamplification.com/amp ... mmer-2010/

Attachment:
JCA_ISO_3Q_web.jpg
JCA_ISO_3Q_web.jpg [ 23.81 KiB | Viewed 2030 times ]

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 24, 2010 11:20am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

polaris20 wrote:
Jet City Amplification is coming out with one for $399 with a built-in USB interface in addition to XLR inputs,

Is that list price?

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 24, 2010 11:27am 
Immortal Rock God

jet city amps wrote:
Morning guys - hopefully I can be of assistance here. Timing is quite good as I have spent a lot of time on this project during the past week, and this morning.
Obviously, our JetStream is our first foray into this type of product, and if it does will in the market perhaps we can expand the range into other products too.
I believe products like this are really valuable to guitarists and would be very popular if a) they were simply more affordable and b) more people even KNEW what they are. Hopefully we solve both of those issues with the first product and that leads to more.
Anyway, the JetStream was engineered to our requirements by Eminence in KY and is being built at their factory in Asia. I've been there several times personally and am VERY happy with what they're doing there. It's nearly done and I'm confident it's going to bring the concept to a whole new range of players.
And YES, agreed, as noted here, like any micing/acoustic guitar recording device, using our JetStream effectively IS going to require some know-how, some trial and error, etc. And let's not forget how important the MIC is!!!

Thats very cool, it looks great. What mic would you recommend with it? Could you use 2? I like a 57/ 421 combo, but dont know if that means anything in this application

Friedman Modded Metro Superlead
Ceriatone JTM45
JCM 2000 DSL
JCM800
Marshall Dual Monoblock 100/100
6 Marshall 412's

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 24, 2010 8:25pm 
Supah Stah

Hmmm...I like mixing two different mics from a single recording... :confused:

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 24, 2010 8:38pm 
Immortal Rock God

me too. :confused:

Friedman Modded Metro Superlead
Ceriatone JTM45
JCM 2000 DSL
JCM800
Marshall Dual Monoblock 100/100
6 Marshall 412's

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 24, 2010 8:40pm 
Apprentice NOOB

amiller wrote:
Hmmm...I like mixing two different mics from a single recording... :confused:

Then you gotta buy two :poke:

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 24, 2010 10:08pm 
Plank Cranker

I had a guy build me a 4ft all around box with sound proofing sO I could have a couple mics in there and crank my mojave
worked out great
you can do it yourself...I don't even have a hammer, but if you are a diy guy
you can use:
green glue + dry wall (internet research = this is the preferred way)
rigid fiberglass inside walls and lining the box (absorbs all frequencies, makes your recording environment dry and isolated
MLV (mass loaded vinyl) (my guy used this, but some people say it doesn't work and is too expensive)
MDF wood

as your main ingredients

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 25, 2010 9:50am 
Rock God

D-Rock wrote:
http://www.jetcityamplification.com/amplifiers/jetstream-iso12usb-available-summer-2010/

Attachment:
JCA_ISO_3Q_web.jpg

I want one.....

This has all happened before, it will all happen again.

http://gutierrezguitars.com/

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 25, 2010 9:57am 
Plank Cranker

Maybe if we all recommend it to Avatar he'll just build one to get everyone out of his hair. :lol: :LOL:

Personally I'd like to see one from him as well.

Ibanez SA160
Baron Custom Amps K88 --> Clips
Bogner 4x12 (V30s)
G-Major 2 /w Rocktron Midimate
Various pedals for teh super tonez

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 25, 2010 10:58am 
Apprentice NOOB

I've always wanted to try a Rivera Silent Sister. That Jet City one looks good for the money as well

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 25, 2010 1:16pm 
VIP

I know you said you don't have a closet, but check this out anyway, you could do what I did and build one of these and just keep it in a corner of the room, I believe it sounds much better than the available Iso cabs (plus you can use whatever 1-12" or 2-12" you would like):

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=68281

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 25, 2010 2:11pm 
Hack

I think i am learning here that we should consider a "higher end" ISO with two mic booms. Possibly a bit bigger for more positioning options and cabinet volume. Our first ISO - JetStream - is partially aimed at being compact and convenient.

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 25, 2010 2:38pm 
VIP

jet city amps wrote:
I think i am learning here that we should consider a "higher end" ISO with two mic booms. Possibly a bit bigger for more positioning options and cabinet volume. Our first ISO - JetStream - is partially aimed at being compact and convenient.

Hi- love that you are into considering options, the main thing you have to do is make it sound good. Compact and convenient is cool, but I bet the majority of users want to record, and will almost never need to move the box- I know some want a live iso cab but for recording, sound quality trumps everything else... and thus far (and I haven't tried the Rivera, which claims to address some of these issues)- they all sound "boxy" or cloudy. I'm referring to the "stand-up" type of iso cabs. There's just not enough volume inside the lid for air to move, and (so says Rivera) the speaker movement is affected by the lack of volume inside the lid, as is the mic diaphragm, etc. The difference between miking a free standing cab and the sound of these iso cabs is huge, to me. I've tried the Randall, the Grendel, and the new Hermit cab. All sounded really murky and weird in the mids.

I think a great thing would be to have a company build a box like the one I built in the thread I posted the link to above- an iso box that you can put your own cab in. Big enough for a 1-12" or 2-12", and designed on the inside for the best possible sound quality. A&S cases, here in LA, builds a roadcase that is essentially this design, but roadworthy, of course. Big enough for a 4-12" with lots of space inside for air to move, and a curved panel at the end the cab is facing, to cut down on standing waves. Jerry Cantrell uses 2, live with AIC. They are BIG and really expensive (around $2500 each!). But if you could mass produce a box like this, and smaller (for a 1-12" or 2-12") then I think you'd have a unique niche product, that every small studio owner would like to have. Guys want to use their own cabs- with their choice of speakers.

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 25, 2010 2:43pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Here's some Pics of an Iso Cab I build over 20 years ago. I used it while gigging for several years. I'd prop the door to control the stage volume.

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 25, 2010 4:17pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

jet city amps wrote:

Welcome over to R-T! Good to see you here.

Any idea when the ISO's are shipping? I'm dying to get one. What did you guys decide as far as a speakerless option? Is it a go?

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 25, 2010 5:47pm 
Rock God

I wish Bogner would make a production run of the iso cabs they built for Jerry Cantrell. Saw them in september with Marsha/Shiva and Bogner iso cab and it was the best live guitar tone I've EVER heard. :yes:

Good transactions with: Juggernaut, Daavvt, gbsmusic, reverymike, zewango, Ancient Alien, RACKSYSTEMS, moltenmetalburn, lolzgreg, tlingen, Chris O, guitarded_1, Findthetone, King Guitar, dual lead, axegod8185, dooredge, OUTLAW1969

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 25, 2010 6:20pm 
Hack

glassjaw7 wrote:
I wish Bogner would make a production run of the iso cabs they built for Jerry Cantrell. Saw them in september with Marsha/Shiva and Bogner iso cab and it was the best live guitar tone I've EVER heard. :yes:

I periodically work with A.I.C. and when they where rehearsing I had a chance to check out the Isobox.
It's actually KORN's isobox they borrowed. It was built by A & S cases and rumor has it that they still have the "blue prints".

the isobox was built to hold 5 mics and they had some sound tech guy design the foam cavity inside.

all the 4x12 cabs Jerry has on stage are dummy's.

The Favour - http://www.myspace.com/thefavourband

Amp
1969 Fender Bassman
Vox AC30
Bogner Shiva 6L6 w/ Reverb (Boost Mod)
Bogner Oversized 2x12 Cab

Guitars
Fender MIJ Telecaster - Double Bound Burst
Gibson Les Paul - '54 VOS Gold Top
Gibson Les Paul - Slash Tobacco Burst
Gibson Les Paul Standard - Black
Gibson Les Paul Junior '58 Reissue - TV Yellow
Gibson Les Paul Junior - Vintage Burst (Single P-90)
Michael Kelly Legacy FS-E - Tobacco Sunburst Mandolin
Epiphone EJ-200 Jumbo Acoustic
Alvarez Yari Acoustic
Epiphone Thunderbird Bass (4-String)

Pedalboard
Roadiemade Pedalboard (Canare Cable / Switchcraft Jacks)
X2 Wireless
Peterson Strobostomp 2
Boss DS-1 (Monte Allums mod)
Boss BD-2 (Monte Allums mod)
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Keeley Compressor
Line6 DL-4
Xotic AC-Booster (Chrome)
Boss NS-2 (for the Rock stuff)

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 25, 2010 6:23pm 
VIP

the iso boxes jerry uses are for his cabs which he hears in his in ears

FOH is palmer d.i. :)

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 25, 2010 6:52pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

petethorn wrote:

No shit? The PDI-09?

I've got one of those. Damn good sounding DI.

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 25, 2010 7:05pm 
Rock God

petethorn wrote:

Good info. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Good transactions with: Juggernaut, Daavvt, gbsmusic, reverymike, zewango, Ancient Alien, RACKSYSTEMS, moltenmetalburn, lolzgreg, tlingen, Chris O, guitarded_1, Findthetone, King Guitar, dual lead, axegod8185, dooredge, OUTLAW1969

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 25, 2010 7:48pm 
Immortal Rock God

Posted this in Pete's iso cab thread as well...

Here is my 4x12 size iso cab:

Recorded many of the clips in my sig with it, including "Dance Of The Dead" Solo Section I and "Dance Of The Dead" Solo Section II. Fits a 4x12 and not boxy sounding at all... It is kept in a closet under my stairs across from my control room. The thing comes apart with velcro so I can disassemble it in seconds or remove a wall to move cabs in and out...

Steve

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 25, 2010 8:09pm 
Plank Cranker

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=59615&hilit=iso+box

here's mine I had built for me last year, cost about $700 (cheaper if u build yourself) 4ft all around, on wheels
walls are really thick, I lined the inside w/ rigid fiberglass (not pictured)
this is a must for the best sound
I can crank my peacemaker late at night and it sounds like a muffled practice amp
:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 22, 2010 1:27pm 
Apprentice NOOB

bump

anybody get there hands on the JetStream ISO12 yet?