Mesa Stiletto Deuce Stage I vs II

JohnnyC

so...ive decided to pass on the Single rectifier Solo my friend is selling that needs a retube (i wanted to try EL34s in it)

im watching a local Stiletto Deuce Stage one with a low starting bid and i have the cash.
just wondering if there were any noticable diffrences between the first and second revisions?

i know the Ace would be more up my alley...but i cal live with the deuce on 50W mode.

otherwise...im on the lookout for El34 marshall "sounding" amps.
(blackstar Studio 20, Marshall Vintage Modern 50W(Kt88s)

There is a big difference between a stage 1 and 2. Stage 1 doesn't have that much gain, not to do metal. Think of a stock JCM 800 type of gain, there just isn't the saturation there. The stage 2 on the other hand has quite a bit of saturation and is pretty heavy. When I played one I thought it could run with a recto solo head any day.

Stage I is more vintage flavored and II is more modern. I like Stage I better myself and there is the modification to make Stage I a lot more like Stage II if you want.

so Stage II means more mesa sounding?

would love to get splawn but im in australia...the arse end of it.

JohnnyC":3j9own2t said:
so Stage II means more mesa sounding?

would love to get splawn but im in australia...the arse end of it.

I grew up in that same arse end :LOL: :LOL:

Do the Stage II's have the "II" by the input jacks. I've been interested in a 1 myself and there's a few on ebay but they don't say which it is. I figure the pic might tel me.

skoora":1vs4y3w4 said:
Do the Stage II's have the "II" by the input jacks. I've been interested in a 1 myself and there's a few on ebay but they don't say which it is. I figure the pic might tel me.

I think so ? It is on the front some place anyway ....

stephen sawall":2qmpcna4 said:
Stage I is more vintage flavored and II is more modern. I like Stage I better myself and there is the modification to make Stage I a lot more like Stage II if you want.
It's called the fluid drive mod, or hollywood mod. I thought the fluid drive mode blew, not even close to what a II sounds like.

The Stage 2's will always have 'II' screen printed by the input jack.

I much preferred the sound of the Stage 2. Definitely more modern and versatile. If you're looking for more of a vintage flavor, the stage 1 is an awesome amp though.

Eric

RJF":1vg1oepu said:
It's called the fluid drive mod, or hollywood mod. I thought the fluid drive mode blew, not even close to what a II sounds like.

Yeah this is true. I had a Trident Stage I that John at Mesa Hollywood did the mod for me.......it still didn't sound half as good as the Stage II.......I did some extensive side by side testing at the time.....

Wasn't the Stiletto the Mesa amp for guys who hate Mesa?

Now the Electra Dyne is the Mesa amp for guys who hate Mesa?

But, wasn't the Lonestar the Mesa amp for guys who hate Mesa?

I thought the F-series was the Mesa amp for guys who hate Mesa?

Then the Maverick was the Mesa amp for guys who hate Mesa?

Soon, Mesa won't any amps for guys who like Mesa's. :D

RJF":2xdfq7s8 said:
There is a big difference between a stage 1 and 2. Stage 1 doesn't have that much gain, not to do metal. Think of a stock JCM 800 type of gain, there just isn't the saturation there. The stage 2 on the other hand has quite a bit of saturation and is pretty heavy. When I played one I thought it could run with a recto solo head any day.
I dont think there is that big of a difference between the two. Aside from the sucky fluid drive mode on the stage I of corse. The IIs have a little bit more gain and are more compressed with a slightly faster response. Otherwise, the tone is pretty much consistent between the two. The hollywood mod is very cool on the stage I. I had it on my trident I. Makes the shitty fluid drive mode even worse IMO but makes the Tite gain mode awesome.

I played in a metal band when I had my trident. It doesnt have brootal gain on its own in the titegain mode, but with a boost its a killer

Back