Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Wed, Nov 26, 2014 10:53am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New EVH Wolfgang pickups
PostPosted: Tue, Jun 08, 2010 2:08am 
Journeyman NOOB

Hi!

Have anybody tried new EVH Wolfgang pickups? I assume they are produced by Fender, but how their tone would be compared to pickups from Peavey Wolfgang Guitars or Frankenstein pickups?

Regards, Andy :)

Greco Les Paul Custom "John Sykes" (Gibson 498T + 490R pickups)
Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe FSR "Non More Black Limited Edition"
CAE/MXR MC-401 "Boost/Line Driver", Marshall EH-1 Echohead Delay + SV-1 Supervibe Chorus

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 08, 2010 8:00am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Check out the Metro amps forum; there is a whole sub-forum related to everything VH. They have more tweakers over there that custom wind and know some crazy things, so that you can call Duncan and get the exact winding that Eddie used on any of the 1st five releases. Very good info over there.

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 08, 2010 9:28am 
Journeyman NOOB

I've already posted there but it seems like no one is using this pickup, as there's no reply at all :).

CAE/MXR MC-401 "Boost/Line Driver", Marshall EH-1 Echohead Delay + SV-1 Supervibe Chorus

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 08, 2010 10:28am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I thought that I read some where that someone really liked it; that it was very open, but had a lot of bite at the same time. They went on to say that it was prone to feedback, but they realized that it wasn't potted (waxed), by design. They waxed it themselves and it was great. I thought that was on the Metro boards, but I could be mistaken.

I've thought about getting it myself. Someone else mentioned that Duncan offers a custom wound VH pickup (he wound Eddie's pickups for years), but you have to ask for it as they aren't allowed to advertise it, so it may have a different name on their website.

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 08, 2010 11:11am 
Journeyman NOOB

Huh, that feedback worries me as I had big problem with it when using JB. Now in bridge position I have neck pickup taken out from Peavey Wolfgang guitar and no problems with feedback at all.

But it seems that I will have to buy that pickup to see how it sounds :). But if it'll feedback and I'd wax it will the sound of the pickup change much?

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 08, 2010 12:09pm 
Wannabe a Supah Stah

i think on the seymour duncan website they are called the"78"

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 08, 2010 6:15pm 
VIP

I'm just now loading a Suhr and a LP with these pickups, give me a week or so and I'll let you know how they sound in a guitar other than a Wolf. In my Wolf I really like them.

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 08, 2010 9:39pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Two different pickups are being discussed here.

The OP and Pete Thorn are talking about the EVH "Wolfgang" pickups which were recently released.
These are the same pickups that are loaded in the current EVH Wolfgang guitars.

The Duncan "EVH" or "'78", is similar but has a slightly different spec to the the EVH "Frankenstein" pickup, as loaded in the $25,000 Frankie replicas.

I'm very interested to hear what Pete thinks of these in his LP.

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 08, 2010 10:51pm 
Rock God

I owned a EVH Wolfgang and didn't care for them. I ripped them out and put Aldrich PU's in it. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 09, 2010 12:46am 
Journeyman NOOB

-> dougiefresh: Exactly. I ask for those recently released Wolfgang pickups. As it is hard to buy the original pickups from Peavey Wolfgang guitar (I only have neck one put in bridge position and other neck one in neck position) I thought I might buy new EVH bridge pickup. But I'd like to read some reviews before buying.

-> petethorn Mate, please post Your thoughts after testing EVH pups in Your LP. Is Yours Custom, Standard or which one?

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 09, 2010 1:11am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I tell you... I was in the Guitar store and wanted to check out the EVH guitar when it came out... I was playing through... A Line 6 Tube head, a Spyder maybe? anyways... Not the greatest, but sounded ok with an LP I was playing... I plugged in the EVH, and I thought the amp Broke! :dunno: I mean it had NO GAIN at all... Seriously my friend and I were trying everything with the amp... We thought we changed channels or one of the presets or something...

Then I plugged the LP back in and we fell down on floor! :shocked:

If these are the same pickups that were in that guitar... RUN! :bleh: :thumbsdown:

Roid RAGE

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 09, 2010 7:23am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

The pickups in my EVH Wolfgang are phenomenal. If that's what they're selling I can't see how they'd be bad if you're looking for a PAF-ish, sound. They're just so smooth, clear with lots of growl and spank.

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 09, 2010 1:04pm 
VIP

Ya I love em in the EVH wolfgang I have, so the EVH guys got me 2 sets to install in other guitars. The Suhr they are going in is my sparkle red T-style, mahogany body/maple top and mahogany neck with rosewood board, the LP is a 2007 Standard that's weight relieved. It's just a good utility LP. It has a Fishman powerbridge as well, for pseudo-acoustic sounds.

The Wolfgang pickups measure between 13-14k and I assume are alnico 2 mags. PAF-ish in output I'd say.

I am not a hi gain pickup guy- I don't see the point- as amps have so so so much gain these days, and there's a plethora of pedals to nail the amp with, so why paint yourself in a corner with a hi gain pickup that will clip the front end of even the cleanest amp?

Plus I play single coils half the time, so when I plug in a guitar with even a PAF type in it, it's already much louder- I try and minimize that, so I can switch guitars and not have to completely re-tweak my amps.

Anyways, I shall report back soon.

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 09, 2010 3:57pm 
Rock God

RoidRage wrote:
I tell you... I was in the Guitar store and wanted to check out the EVH guitar when it came out... I was playing through... A Line 6 Tube head, a Spyder maybe? anyways... Not the greatest, but sounded ok with an LP I was playing... I plugged in the EVH, and I thought the amp Broke! :dunno: I mean it had NO GAIN at all... Seriously my friend and I were trying everything with the amp... We thought we changed channels or one of the presets or something...

Then I plugged the LP back in and we fell down on floor! :shocked:

If these are the same pickups that were in that guitar... RUN! :bleh: :thumbsdown:

Roid RAGE

I'm with you. The problem with the Wolfgang is the PU's aren't very high output and then they're set really far away from the strings. And on top of that, there's no way to ajust the height cause they mount them directly to the body. As far as putting them in another guitar, don't know.

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 21, 2010 6:26pm 
VIP

Guys the Wolfgang pickups sound really great in these other guitars, they made a so-so Les Paul Standard actually sound just awesome, I think I dig the way it sounds more than my black LP Custom which has WB Habaneros in it and has been my main go-to LP.

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 21, 2010 6:34pm 
Rock God

Hey SetNeck, how's it going?

Glad to see you made your way over from the Bogner forums. :thumbsup:

“You think health care is expensive now, wait until it’s free!”

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows that AS A GOVERNMENT GROWS, LIBERTY DECREASES." -Gerald Ford

"If you think becoming educated is difficult, try being stupid!!" - Death by Uberschall

Current amps:
Bogner Uberschall (Rev2), Blackstar HT-5, Carvin Tube 100, Fender Tweed Deluxe 5E3 (1957), HiWatt DR504, Marshall 9100, Mesa Dual Rec (#654/RevF/MkIII trans/chrm chas/blck dia), Mesa RoadKing (red croc), Mesa Tri-Axis/2:90, Randall RG80, Rivera K-Tre', Soldano SLO (chrm croc, dpth md), Spiegel 603a

Click Me-> Tapping into Voodoo Phull Phaser <-Click Me

Amp GOD Warning: Death by Uberschall hurts like a MOFO!!
The Amp GOD Chronicles (EBAY idiots!!)

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 21, 2010 7:39pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Lp Freak wrote:
I owned a EVH Wolfgang and didn't care for them. I ripped them out and put Aldrich PU's in it. :thumbsup:

Do you still have em?

I sold my wolfie with the pickups intact...but I'd like to have a set.

Good Deals with: mhenson42, Hacksaw, barnesjd, jet66, cyndicate, themarkmiller, MOOSEHEADS, Mklane...

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 21, 2010 9:08pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

The new EVH wolfgang pickups are 14k pickups with alnico 5 magnets,the seymour duncan 78 pickup is a 9k pickup with alnico 2 magnet,the EVH Frankenstrat replica pickup,same pickup thats in the 25k frankenstrat EVH replica guitar is a alnico 2 magnet 14k pickup,its the same pickup as the seymour duncan custom custom pickup which is also a 14k pickup alnico 2 magnet,if your looking to buy the EVH frankenstrat replica pickup save your self the money and purchase the seymour duncan custom custom which is the SH11........... :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 21, 2010 9:23pm 
Rock God

~Abstract~ wrote:
Lp Freak wrote:

Do you still have em?

I sold my wolfie with the pickups intact...but I'd like to have a set.

I actually reinstalled them and sold the guitar.

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 22, 2010 12:21am 
VIP

nitro wrote:
The new EVH wolfgang pickups are 14k pickups with alnico 5 magnets,the seymour duncan 78 pickup is a 9k pickup with alnico 2 magnet,the EVH Frankenstrat replica pickup,same pickup thats in the 25k frankenstrat EVH replica guitar is a alnico 2 magnet 14k pickup,its the same pickup as the seymour duncan custom custom pickup which is also a 14k pickup alnico 2 magnet,if your looking to buy the EVH frankenstrat replica pickup save your self the money and purchase the seymour duncan custom custom which is the SH11........... :thumbsup:

are you sure about the alnico 5? I think they sound more Alnico 2 to me... that smooth high end. I actually asked both Ed and Matt and they weren't sure if they were 2 or 5 either. They are bitchin though- they are super balanced, VERY fat and full, and don't come across as overly high output (in other words they aren't middy mud bombs). They are nice in a LP, that's for sure. I'll be leaving them in. Also, I put some pots I got from Jim at WCR in that guitar, which have an awesome taper. So they are probably helping as well. Good in my Suhr T also.

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 22, 2010 2:01am 
Supah Stah

i sat in with a Van Halen tribute band a couple months ago and the guitar i played was using the new Wolfgangs and in my ears was the most musical sounding humbucker i've heard in years...not high gainy bull shit, just warm, round and evenly balanced articulate sounding that had a nice presence to them..alnico 2 , but im not sure. I also like the duncan 78's...I have on my les paul, killer!

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 22, 2010 7:29am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

The new EVH wolfgang pickups have alnico 5 magnets,I assure you,the pickups that were in the Peavey wolfgang were also alnico 5 magnets also,if I wasnt sure of something I would not post it,thats how rumours start...... :thumbsup: Peterthorn,I find it hard to believe that when you asked Ed and Matt Bruck that they werent sure if they were alnico 2 or 5,Ed supposelly deigned everything on the guitar,he had full control....... :confused:

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 16, 2012 10:39am 
Apprentice NOOB

petethorn wrote:
Guys the Wolfgang pickups sound really great in these other guitars, they made a so-so Les Paul Standard actually sound just awesome, I think I dig the way it sounds more than my black LP Custom which has WB Habaneros in it and has been my main go-to LP.

sorry to bump a old thread but i agree with pete,I bought a set here in the classifieds for $110 shipped(KILLER DEAL!) and these wolfgangs sound great in everything i tried them in!
in my alder charvels,jacksons and a les paul. the WG set seems to work with any body wood.
they are very articulate,smooth with a instant VH mojo to them.
I would say these are in between the EBMM dimarzio's in the axis and the peavey wolfgangs.
I always loved the custom wound dimarzio's in the EBMM's but after owning a set of these newer Wolfgang pu's i like these more. :rock:

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 16, 2012 12:33pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

nitro wrote:
The new EVH wolfgang pickups have alnico 5 magnets,I assure you,the pickups that were in the Peavey wolfgang were also alnico 5 magnets also,if I wasnt sure of something I would not post it,thats how rumours start...... :thumbsup: Peterthorn,I find it hard to believe that when you asked Ed and Matt Bruck that they werent sure if they were alnico 2 or 5,Ed supposelly deigned everything on the guitar,he had full control....... :confused:

Are you sure they are Alnico 5 ? I wanna try one of these but I dont normally get along with A2 pickups , I prefer A5... A2 tends not to have much lowend, is that the case with this pickup ?

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 16, 2012 4:58pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I made the mistake of searching for specs on the EVH Wolfgang pickups and expecting to find conclusive answers from the source. The Fender EVH web site's idea of specs: price and part number. :lol: :LOL: In typical Ed fashion, the public is always left wondering what the secret sauce is. All I found was a review on HCAF saying the bridge pup DC resistance is ~ 14k and that the Frankenstein had more mids.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/sho ... p-review...

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 16, 2012 6:31pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

the4thlast1 wrote:
nitro wrote:

Are you sure they are Alnico 5 ? I wanna try one of these but I dont normally get along with A2 pickups , I prefer A5... A2 tends not to have much lowend, is that the case with this pickup ?

According to they guy at EVH, Mike who responded to my email they are alnico II:

Greetings Chris,
Thanks for writing in! Both the bridge and neck pickups are AlNiCo 2 magnets. Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Matt Brown
Fender Musical Instruments
Consumer Relations
17600 North Perimeter Drive, Suite 100,
Scottsdale, AZ. 85255
480-845-5133
www.fender.com
www.gretschguitars.com
www.guildguitars.com
www.charvel.com
www.jacksonguitars.com
www.groovetubes.com
www.swramps.com

EVH Frankenstein Strat (Homemade)
Gibson Solid Guitar
1970's Ludwig 3-Ply "Orphan Bonham" Kit

Good dealings with ridner, Shark Diver, EVHFAN

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 16, 2012 10:50pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Some at Fender have no idea what they are talking about.The EVH(Fender) Wolfgang pickups bridge and neck are alnico V magnets.I believe that they(Fender)are getting the EVH Frankenstrat pickup mixed up with the EVH Wolfgang pickups.The EVH Frankenstrat pickup is a Alnico II magnet,the EVH Wolfgang pickups bridge and neck are alnico V,I assure you.......I have those pickups(EVH Wolfgang)in both of my Les Pauls,if they were alnico II I wouldnt have purchased them plus they would sound very muddy in a les paul.

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 16, 2012 11:19pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

nitro wrote:
I believe that they(Fender)are getting the EVH Frankenstrat pickup mixed up with the EVH Wolfgang pickups.

I don't think so. The frankenstein is made by SD so why would they get that mixed up with a Fender product? I'll take the EVH/Fender product guy's word for it...Not that it matters. I don't buy pickups based on what kind of magnet it has.

EVH Frankenstein Strat (Homemade)
Gibson Solid Guitar
1970's Ludwig 3-Ply "Orphan Bonham" Kit

Good dealings with ridner, Shark Diver, EVHFAN

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 17, 2012 8:18am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

The EVH Frankenstrat pickup,Fender contracted out Seymour Duncan to produce the pickup but its sold by Fender(Duncan can not say what the specs are due to contract,spec is 14k Alnico II magnet) Believe what you want thats fine.EVH(Fender) told me that the EVH G12 Celestion speakers were made in china,they were wrong(They are made in England) about that also,so believe what you want,have fun....

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 17, 2012 10:09am 
Apprentice NOOB

nitro wrote:
Believe what you want thats fine.EVH(Fender) told me that the EVH G12 Celestion speakers were made in china,they were wrong(They are made in England) about that also,so believe what you want,have fun....

Celestion evh has the EXACT specs of a RI greenback...
The difference in the production counrty...
I don't know about the pickup...
I wouldn't be surprised if it was a SD CUSTOM CUSTOM...

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 17, 2012 2:41pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

The EVH G12H is the same spec as the Celestion Heritage G12H.

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 17, 2012 5:56pm 
Apprentice NOOB

Check the celestion graphs..

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 17, 2012 8:28pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

blackie13 wrote:
Check the celestion graphs..

I don't know about the Wolfgang pickups, and I don't really care what magnet they use. But the EVH speaker is NOT the same as the regular G12M Greenback. It is the same as the Heritage Greenback that's made(or at least was) in England.

-Peters Halo/Vega/FSM Triple Channel Ordered!
-Too many guitars

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 17, 2012 8:50pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

thats what i said.

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 18, 2012 10:08am 
Apprentice NOOB

That's what I thought too...
Check this out...very last post...
Maybe they are wrong though

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76922&hilit=celestion+evh&start=50

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 18, 2012 10:30am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

blackie13 wrote:

Try them all out and see what you think. You'll find that the EVH does not sound the same as the RI.

-Too many guitars

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 18, 2012 10:39am 
Supah Stah

Actually, the Peavey wolfgang pickups used Alnico 8 magnets. I know that spec for a fact.

Technique can be either your boss or your bitch.

2001 Gibson Les Paul Classic
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard
2006 PRS McCarty
2000 Charvel Journeyman
EVH 5150III
Mesa Recto 412

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 18, 2012 11:08am 
Apprentice NOOB

Sinnerx96 wrote:
blackie13 wrote:

Try them all out and see what you think. You'll find that the EVH does not sound the same as the RI.

I had the G12M heritage...
Didn't like them that much..I actually prefer the RIs...
Have you heard the heritage and Evh side by side???
Truly identical??(I know what celestion says,I am interested in what guitarists say)

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 18, 2012 11:34am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

blackie13 wrote:
Sinnerx96 wrote:
blackie13 wrote:

I had the G12M heritage...
Didn't like them that much..I actually prefer the RIs...
Have you heard the heritage and Evh side by side???
Truly identical??(I know what celestion says,I am interested in what guitarists say)

I can't tell you with absolute certainty or anything. I have compared the EVH to the RI, and the Heritage to the RI. The differences were the same to me in both cases. I've also compared different cabs with the varying greenback varieties. The Marshall Vintage Modern cab(G12C), the EVH 5150 III cab, and cabs loaded with RIs. The Vintage Modern and EVH cabs sound eerily similar, when compared to RI loaded cabs, and I hear the same differences as noted above. This, as well as reps from Celestion confirming it multiple times, has led me to the conclusion that they are all probably the same speaker(G12C, EVH, Heritage). Never directly compared a EVH, G12C, or Heritage in the same cab, though. So take that for what it's worth.

-Too many guitars