Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Thu, Apr 24, 2014 6:31pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 06, 2010 2:13pm 
Rock God Trainee

I've got all these killer pedals. BB Preamp, Zendrive, Keeley TS-9's, Keeley Seeing Eye Mod, Fulldrive II Mosfets, TS-808, OCD and IMO the Boss SD-1 and DS-1 sound the best in front.

It just flat out KILLS with either of the two Boss boosts. I guess that's what we've been listening to for the last three decades and what we perceive as the grail Marshall tone, with the exception of Plexi's of course.

I've been listening to that new Slash AFD vid and when I plug into the DS-1 with my Les Paul Custom into the JCM800 I get pretty much the exact same tone. Perfect Marshall crunch. Bitey with big crunchy low end.

The TS-808 gets an honorable mention because that sounds perfect with the 800 as well. :rock:

And, I bought the SD-1 for $39 brand new and the DS-1 for $20 used in box, as new. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 06, 2010 2:19pm 
Rock God Trainee

I usually like the pretty much stock pedals with Marshalls. I usually don't like the mods that much. However I did get the Monte Allums SD-1 mod, and out of the 10 components to change, I only liked 2 of them (did it 1 part at a time), but I really liked them. But man if the stock pedals are doing it for you - be done and rock on! :rock:

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 06, 2010 2:24pm 
Supah Stah

IMHO the SD-1 is one of the best-sounding pedals of all time. I use my TS more as a compressor now--wanna have some REAL fun--run your guitar into the TS, then into the SD-1, then to the JCM800. Set the gain on the TS low but the output high, then dial in the SD-1 to taste.

Cheers,

http://www.facebook.com/audiokill.la
-----------------------
Good deals with: JB6464, tom_h, mechanyx, bubbastain, jid, splawner, studio289, jmgman69 (x2), santellavision1, oldmanmetal, Scuba200ft, bognerluv, the4thlast1, 232cap, hthomas, Fretburner, PaulyPanacea, drewiv, gbsmusic, retrojet, Docster, Spaceboy, crwnedblasphemy, tonmazz, rezamatix, londaxe, just42dave (x3), mystidream
Play it cuz you love it!!!

My Recommendations
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Splawn Amplification -- Awesome Modded Marshall Tones --http://www.splawnguitars.com/amps08.htm
Jet City Amplification -- Awesome Soldano Tones -- http://www.jetcityamplification.com/
WhiteBox Quality Guitar Cabinets -- Well-built USA Cabinets -- http://www.whiteboxeng.com/

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 06, 2010 2:26pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

SD-1 is a great pedal with a Marshall. I never really liked the DS-1 with anything.

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 06, 2010 2:29pm 
Rock God

I've got an old MIJ OD-2 that doesn't work anymore. I dug it back in the day, when it just barely worked :rock: It's seen a lot of shows, long before I was even born. Was my uncles. He gave it to me along with a Ampeg 4x12 that turned out to be an old cab of Paul Gilbert's :shocked:

I was looking for schematics yesterday, so I can get it up and running again. Maybe do a few mods to it.

Some of those Boss pedals are great man. I repeat, SOME.

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 06, 2010 2:31pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Location: The Tone Oasis; Old Marshall, Boost and a Super Strat
racerevlon wrote:
IMHO the SD-1 is one of the best-sounding pedals of all time. I use my TS more as a compressor now--wanna have some REAL fun--run your guitar into the TS, then into the SD-1, then to the JCM800. Set the gain on the TS low but the output high, then dial in the SD-1 to taste.

Cheers,

Ahhhhhhhh :rock: I will try this. I've had some nice amps and modded amps and still love a boosted Marshall. Just something about them. Yeah baby!!

btw I've go an old MIJ and new MIT SD-1. They do sound different from each other. Both are great.

EVH Wolfgang
EBMM Axis SS
OLP & Godin Guitars

Last edited by loudgtr on Tue, Jul 06, 2010 2:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 06, 2010 2:31pm 
Rock God

I had the same experience with this one:

My buddy and I tested the Boss OS2 as a boost for my recto and his Mark IV, JCM800 and JCM900.

Boosts/od's we compared it to: Boss DS1, MXR Wylde and Dist+, OCD, BB+, TS9 and 808. The 808 was very good too but the OS2 just killed.

Good transactions with: Juggernaut, Daavvt, gbsmusic, reverymike, zewango, Ancient Alien, RACKSYSTEMS, moltenmetalburn, lolzgreg, tlingen, Chris O, guitarded_1, Findthetone, King Guitar, dual lead, axegod8185, dooredge, OUTLAW1969

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 06, 2010 2:39pm 
Supah Stah

[flamesuit on] I actually think a lot of the standard boss/ibanez/mxr/etc. work well in a mix b/c they sound kinda "crappy" compared to the modded ones. What sounds harsh and boxy, cuts too much low-end etc. at home by yourself can sound great in a loud band mix live for the exact same reasons IMO. I prefer an SD-1 to a DS1, and a TS9/808 over both but its subjective. Was at a bbq/jam with decent PA and bass/drums etc on the fourth at a friend's house with lots of scary players and everyone was playing through pretty standard gear. Strats and LPs into ts9s and fender amps. Sounded great too. I love my main rig, but there's no denying that a lot of the "classic" gear setups work great.

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 06, 2010 2:42pm 
Rock God

'63-Strat wrote:
[flamesuit on] I actually think a lot of the standard boss/ibanez/mxr/etc. work well in a mix b/c they sound kinda "crappy" compared to the modded ones. What sounds harsh and boxy, cuts too much low-end etc. at home by yourself can sound great in a loud band mix live for the exact same reasons IMO. I prefer an SD-1 to a DS1, and a TS9/808 over both but its subjective. Was at a bbq/jam with decent PA and bass/drums etc on the fourth at a friend's house with lots of scary players and everyone was playing through pretty standard gear. Strats and LPs into ts9s and fender amps. Sounded great too. I love my main rig, but there's no denying that a lot of the "classic" gear setups work great.

I agree with this big time! I think 95% of the bad words passed around about BOSS pedals comes from bedroom wankers, who aren't using them live. Nothing wrong with that of coarse, but it does make a difference. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 06, 2010 2:59pm 
Supah Stah

CaseyCor wrote:
'63-Strat wrote:

I agree with this big time! I think 95% of the bad words passed around about BOSS pedals comes from bedroom wankers, who aren't using them live. Nothing wrong with that of coarse, but it does make a difference. :thumbsup:

Yep I'd even go as far to say that a large part of the boutique gear market is voiced for that demographic.

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 06, 2010 3:02pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

CaseyCor wrote:
'63-Strat wrote:

absolutely agree. since my experience 3 weeks ago with a stock TS9 and owning a keeley modded TS808 i'll say the boutique stuff is better. but not by much, and certainly not for the difference in price.

SRV never seemed to complain about the tubescreamer "mid hump" or lack of bottom end.

"Argh! My pancreas!"

Gear Used:
PRS Mcarty trem
Musicman Axis
Fender MIJ 62 RI Strat Premium
Fender MIJ Richie Kotzen Siganture Tele

Soldano HR50+ 212 combo

OXFUZZ NKT274
Fulltone Clyde Standard Wah
Keeley TS808TB+ w/vintage chip
86 Blackface RAT
Skreddy Ernie
Skreddy Zero
Skreddy Pigmine
D*A*M Ramhead
Analogman KOT V4
Butler Audio BK Butler Tube Driver
Ronsound hairpie
Digitech RP250

NO NO NO NO!!! ebay, early 80's strats are not "vintage" i dont care if they're 30 years old!

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 06, 2010 3:09pm 
Rock God Trainee

'63-Strat wrote:
CaseyCor wrote:
'63-Strat wrote:

Yep I'd even go as far to say that a large part of the boutique gear market is voiced for that demographic.

I agree. I can't tell you how many booteek boost pedals I've owned over the years that sounded great at home, but completely disappeared when I took them to gigs.

I've completely lost interest in the high end pedal market. Give me my Baked Keeley TS-9 (it's a Keeley, but it's still an Ibanez), my TS-808 and Fulldrive II Mosfet for my JTM45 and it's golden.

Give me my SD-1 for my 800 and i'm done.

Along with my Carbon Copy and I'm all set.

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 06, 2010 3:12pm 
Supah Stah

check out the BOSS BD-2 Blues Driver, very underrated pedal. DS-1 was never my cup of tea, then again so are all distortion pedals with the exception of the Ibanez/Maxon SD-9.

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 06, 2010 3:23pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Badronald wrote:
I've got all these killer pedals. BB Preamp, Zendrive, Keeley TS-9's, Keeley Seeing Eye Mod, Fulldrive II Mosfets, TS-808, OCD and IMO the Boss SD-1 and DS-1 sound the best in front.

It just flat out KILLS with either of the two Boss boosts. I guess that's what we've been listening to for the last three decades and what we perceive as the grail Marshall tone, with the exception of Plexi's of course.

I've been listening to that new Slash AFD vid and when I plug into the DS-1 with my Les Paul Custom into the JCM800 I get pretty much the exact same tone. Perfect Marshall crunch. Bitey with big crunchy low end.

The TS-808 gets an honorable mention because that sounds perfect with the 800 as well. :rock:

And, I bought the SD-1 for $39 brand new and the DS-1 for $20 used in box, as new. :thumbsup:

What are your settings on the DS-1? I have a Baked Keeley TS-9 and it's way too much gain with my Rev, I'm going to try and pick up a SD-1 today. :rock:

P90's FTW!!!!!!

Smoke weed, listen to SLEEP

http://switchbladejesus.net/
http://switchbladejesus.bandcamp.com/
http://www.facebook.com/SwitchbladeJesus

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 06, 2010 3:27pm 
Rock God Trainee

PsychoholicSlag wrote:
Badronald wrote:

What are your settings on the DS-1? I have a Baked Keeley TS-9 and it's way too much gain with my Rev, I'm going to try and pick up a SD-1 today. :rock:

DS-1. Tone at 10 o'clock, Level at 1 o'clock and gain at 1 o'clock.

The Baked TS-9 has ton's of gain. That's why I got it. I use it for my leads on the JTM45. It sounds like a great TS-9 but with 3 times the gain. It's the perfect liquid shred leads, but it sounds glassy as well.

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 06, 2010 3:41pm 
Rock God Trainee

glassjaw7 wrote:

My buddy and I tested the Boss OS2 as a boost for my recto and his Mark IV, JCM800 and JCM900.

Boosts/od's we compared it to: Boss DS1, MXR Wylde and Dist+, OCD, BB+, TS9 and 808. The 808 was very good too but the OS2 just killed.

Hmmm. Searching CL now. :doh:

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 06, 2010 3:41pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I too never understood the bad rap about Boss pedals. All the pics I see of big name players and they're boards there is always some Boss pedals in the chain. If they are good enough for players like Jeff Beck then why are'nt they good enough for us wankers? To each his own I suppose :confused:

Amplifiers
Pedals
Does It Really Matter??????

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 06, 2010 3:53pm 
Journeyman NOOB

billboogie wrote:
I too never understood the bad rap about Boss pedals. All the pics I see of big name players and they're boards there is always some Boss pedals in the chain. If they are good enough for players like Jeff Beck then why are'nt they good enough for us wankers? To each his own I suppose :confused:

I never understood the hate either until I started putting a three or more BOSS pedals together. That's when I started to hear 'tone-suck'. I think they are fine used one or two in a chain but after that they loose something. I think that is where a lot of the hate comes from. They also started using cheaper components along the way which has attributed to it. The Japanese made pedals are still sought after.

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 06, 2010 3:59pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Interesting point. I have several Boss boxxes but I don't use more than two at a time and they are not together (one in the loop and one in the chain). For kicks I am going to make a complete Boss chain and maybe learn a little something. Thanks for the tip

Bill

Amplifiers
Pedals
Does It Really Matter??????

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 06, 2010 4:26pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

billboogie wrote:
Interesting point. I have several Boss boxxes but I don't use more than two at a time and they are not together (one in the loop and one in the chain). For kicks I am going to make a complete Boss chain and maybe learn a little something. Thanks for the tip

Bill

.....or just get a looper like an Octa-switch and don't worry about tone loss. Get as many Boss pedals as you want for next to nothing ;)

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 06, 2010 5:29pm 
Rock God

Jack Napalm wrote:
billboogie wrote:

I never understood the hate either until I started putting a three or more BOSS pedals together. That's when I started to hear 'tone-suck'. I think they are fine used one or two in a chain but after that they loose something. I think that is where a lot of the hate comes from. They also started using cheaper components along the way which has attributed to it. The Japanese made pedals are still sought after.

Yup, the Japanese made pedals are the best of the BOSS stuff. Much better than the cheaper made stuff they put out now, which are still useful in some situations regardless of the lower quality IMO.

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 06, 2010 5:59pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

The other grail type OD for Marshalls is the TC Electronic Booster/Line Driver. Mine is UNREAL with my 2204.

Everyone that has tried it says it rules hard.

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 06, 2010 7:30pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I never had much luck with an SD-1 in front of the Marshalls I've owned, (4 x DSL's, TSL60, & JCM800 2205). Always added that unwanted "cocked wah" kinda thing. I went to a Wylde OD, and thought it KILLED in Marshalls. But, in the Peaveys, (XXX, JSX, 5150, & current 6505+), the Wylde OD's not so hot. As silly as it sounds, I've been tempted to try the SD-1 again, with the 6505+ ! :doh:

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 06, 2010 7:35pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

napalmdeath wrote:
I never had much luck with an SD-1 in front of the Marshalls I've owned, (4 x DSL's, TSL60, & JCM800 2205). Always added that unwanted "cocked wah" kinda thing. I went to a Wylde OD, and thought it KILLED in Marshalls. But, in the Peaveys, (XXX, JSX, 5150, & current 6505+), the Wylde OD's not so hot. As silly as it sounds, I've been tempted to try the SD-1 again, with the 6505+ ! :doh:

Don't forget to try the Maxon OD-9 in front of the 5150's. My personal fav.

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 06, 2010 8:05pm 
Supah Stah

A stock SD-1 was the only OD i owned for many many years. I never new about the vast boutique world of ODs and the world of modding. Ive since tried millions of mods on them and my fav is just changing one cap to a bigger value. extends the bottom end and thats it. I agree its one of the best ODs ever made.

Good deals with:
jmgman69,napalmdeath,GuidanceOfSin,BIGKAHUNA,Drkorey,just42dave,luxxtone,232cap,gbsmusic,irondeth21,technomancer,warhead78,
K-Bizzle,Insightibanez,CaseyCor,moltenmetalburn

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 06, 2010 9:54pm 
Rock God

Try a Timmy with it and you'll never look back. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 06, 2010 10:09pm 
Rock God

Lp Freak wrote:

I had both a Tim and Timmy and felt they had way too much bass. I've tried numerous high end boutique ODs and my bone stock MIJ SD1 has yet to be dethroned :rock:

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 06, 2010 10:25pm 
Immortal Rock God

Lp Freak wrote:

I did........and i looked back. Those pedals are the rave on TGP, but they didn't wow me.

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 06, 2010 10:41pm 
Chickenhead

I've never used a Boss OD pedal...I've got to try one. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 07, 2010 12:55am 
Apprentice NOOB

I like the OD1 into 800's.
Never actually tried an sd1 though. OD1 pushed my ts9 out of the line up, but now has been bumped by an hbe

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 07, 2010 1:01am 
Supah Stah

I do love the SD-1 into a plexi but not so much a JCM800. A pedal that's devastating into a JCM800 2203 was the Barber Small Fry or the Direct Drive. I liked the Small fry a little better for more natural mid-range response but both were amazing. Ironically the Small Fry doesn't sound any good into my 1959 build. Right now my top dogs are a MI Audio Blues pro and Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive. I also think the Zakk Wylde into a 2203 is cookin'.

A pedal that was considered mass production boutique that I thought proved itself very worthy was the OCD. I've never owned one but every time I demoed one into a Marshall it sounded awesome.

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 09, 2010 8:55pm 
Wannabe a Supah Stah

danyeo wrote:
Lp Freak wrote:

I did........and i looked back. Those pedals are the rave on TGP, but they didn't wow me.

That raving came from HCFX. Well it seemed so anyway.

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 09, 2010 9:17pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

2203 and SD1 is just perfect simplicity...great match. I have some nice amps (Bogner-VHT-Splawn-Boogie) and whenever I plug into the 2203 with 6550's along with an SD-1 it brings a smile to my face...

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 09, 2010 9:21pm 
Rock God Trainee

Shawn Lutz wrote:
2203 and SD1 is just perfect simplicity...great match. I have some nice amps (Bogner-VHT-Splawn-Boogie) and whenever I plug into the 2203 with 6550's along with an SD-1 it brings a smile to my face...

This^^^

I've had ton's of amps over the years, but when I get into a big room with my 2203 rig and a Les Paul or Stratocaster and crank it up and the band comes in it's just pure :rock:.

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 09, 2010 9:29pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Badronald wrote:
Shawn Lutz wrote:

This^^^

I've had ton's of amps over the years, but when I get into a big room with my 2203 rig and a Les Paul or Stratocaster and crank it up and the band comes in it's just pure :rock:.

yep, talk about cutting through the mix :) I have an 84 2203 w/6550's and have an orginal, bone stock SD1 since about 82 or so...that pedal is still alive an kicking after years gigging abuse. Some folks say the 2203 can be brittle/harsh or trebbly but the real magic imho comess when you play it fairly loud with band setting and open that sukker up...it is pure magic :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 09, 2010 9:32pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Quote:
Why does my JCM800 2203 sound best with a Boss Overdrive????

because it's not fuckin jerry approved? :D

Marshall mode4 straight cab V30/weber legacy mix
Marshall 1960AV V30/G12T75 mix
Ibanez RG520 dimarzio mo'joe/paf joe
Ltd dv8-r duncan blackouts
Ltddv8-r se duncan live wires
Fulltone OCD/MXR phase 90/boss DD-6/crybaby from hell
MOTÖRHEAD IS LIFE \m/

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 09, 2010 9:34pm 
Rock God Trainee

Shawn Lutz wrote:
Badronald wrote:
Shawn Lutz wrote:

This^^^

yep, talk about cutting through the mix :) I have an 84 2203 w/6550's and have an orginal, bone stock SD1 since about 82 or so...that pedal is still alive an kicking after years gigging abuse. Some folks say the 2203 can be brittle/harsh or trebbly but the real magic imho comess when you play it fairly loud with band setting and open that sukker up...it is pure magic :lol: :LOL:

I've had quite a few high gain, modern amps that I've had to walk over to while gigging just to make sure I'd flipped the standby switch on! They got completely lost in a band mix.

The 2203? You can be on a stage with three guitar players, a bass and keyboard player and a drummer and it will walk around the stage and bitchslap them all. :D

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 09, 2010 10:04pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I like the sd-1 and wylde much better than screamers for boosting purpose
not only through marshalls
they seem to have A LOT more bite and output
I've been using my friends home made ts808 clone, though, and it pushes my amps as hard the wylde I had, but an Ibanez is no near as hot

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 10, 2010 1:56am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Badronald wrote:
Why does my JCM800 2203 sound best with a Boss Overdrive????

...because that is how God wants it. :D

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 10, 2010 4:17pm 
Supah Stah

glassjaw7 wrote:

I just found one of these laying around the house. It was missing some pieces that I salvaged from some Digitech Phaser, but it seems to work fine. I'm going to see what it can do with a 5150 and Ampeg VH140C later today. It's been sitting around for awhile and I always dismissed it as scrap and never really gave it a second thought, until you mentioned it.

Fender Guitars -- Orange Amplifiers