Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Thu, Jul 31, 2014 10:32am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 17, 2010 5:32pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

FINALLY got a JSX. It's an '04, in near mint condition, with original EH EL34's in it. The thing sounds DAMN good. Only reiterates why I wanted one so bad, I LOVE IT!

However, one can only wonder what a power tube upgrade would do for it. The last one I had, I went JJ EL34's in it. Can't help but wonder what 6L6's would sound like? I like the EL34 growl, for sure, but who knows? I liked the aggressive 6L6's in the 6505+, as well. But, the JSX smokes it!

Discuss....

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 17, 2010 5:43pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

i had one at one time, and went from the factory el34's to 6l6's and it totally changed the tone in my opinion .... the sound got a lot beefier, and the low end response was insane. the cleans on the amp seemed to get a bit darker than they were with the el34's but i actually found out i liked it better that way anyways .... for the cost of tubes i would try the 6l6's out ... you can always go back if you dont like em

edt:: it was a set of JJ 6l6's that were swapped in ...

good deal(s) with: bionicmark, diezelduder, mraajr, tehuk, ldm(laura), stratotone, mortega76, sandman, moshaholic, nothingeined, Dimebag11, goldwing68nv, Juggernaut, briango2000, srommes, MetalHead, xkalibur38, sjk, charvelstrat81

http://www.rhodesamplification.com ---- Rhodes amplification

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 17, 2010 6:05pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

El34 > 6L6 (in all and every amps, except SLO-100 maybe?)

but..... in da JSX, bring in the jj KT77 !! you get the mid grind from El34 and awesome, beefier low-end. and more range in the higher spectrum too.

Sometimes I miss that amp :doh: The lead tone on the ultra channel was SICK :rock:

BAREKNUKLE WARPIGS
DIEZEL HERBERT and DIEZEL FL w/ V30's (sold :( ) ENGL e530 preamp bought back instead!
GRIND CUSTOM NOIZEGATE

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 17, 2010 6:17pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

stefvorcide wrote:
in da JSX, bring in the jj KT77 !! you get the mid grind from El34 and awesome, beefier low-end. and more range in the higher spectrum too.

Yeah, been pondering that..Do they run in EL34, or 6L6 mode?

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 17, 2010 6:20pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I played hard rock...I liked the 6L6's better. I just added more mids to help compensate with what I lost in the change...

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 17, 2010 6:57pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

napalmdeath wrote:
stefvorcide wrote:
in da JSX, bring in the jj KT77 !! you get the mid grind from El34 and awesome, beefier low-end. and more range in the higher spectrum too.

Yeah, been pondering that..Do they run in EL34, or 6L6 mode?

if I remember correctly, EL34 switch. Btw the bias reading in the back are supposed to be wrong, you have to go inside. I never did that myself, I trusted my ear and the multimeter reading with the pins.

BAREKNUKLE WARPIGS
DIEZEL HERBERT and DIEZEL FL w/ V30's (sold :( ) ENGL e530 preamp bought back instead!
GRIND CUSTOM NOIZEGATE

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 17, 2010 7:15pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

stefvorcide wrote:
if I remember correctly, EL34 switch. Btw the bias reading in the back are supposed to be wrong, you have to go inside. I never did that myself, I trusted my ear and the multimeter reading with the pins.

I'll use a bias probe.

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 18, 2010 3:51pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

The_Kid wrote:
I played hard rock...I liked the 6L6's better. I just added more mids to help compensate with what I lost in the change...

Was it overall warmer, more bass? - I assume so.. I don't want to get into "modern" territory. I may just stick to EL34's, and get some better than the stock EH's..

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 18, 2010 4:15pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

to me it was easier to dial out the extra bass with the 6L6's rather than add it with the 34s

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 18, 2010 6:11pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

The_Kid wrote:
to me it was easier to dial out the extra bass with the 6L6's rather than add it with the 34s

Yeah, makes sense.

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 18, 2010 6:26pm 
Rock God Trainee

From my experience, I used to swap back and forth between 6L6/5881's & El34's with the same 2 heads all of the time...

The El34's had a smoother dist and less bottom end..
The 6l6/5881's were not as smooth, a little bit grittier and had more bottom end...

If you are searching for a sound anything like Overkill they used solid state Carvin power amps live and in the studio.. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 18, 2010 7:31pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

OldSkoolNJ wrote:
If you are searching for a sound anything like Overkill they used solid state Carvin power amps live and in the studio.. :thumbsup:

Yeah, depending on what era. I believe the 2 guitar players they had from Horrorscope to WFO (Gant/Cannavino), used Carvin Power amps, and ADA MP-1's...I think, even Linsk used the ADA's at one time, as well as Marshalls. I'm pretty sure he went to 5150/6505's..

I've got their tone, and then some on the JSX's crunch channel. I'm really after *my* tone, not anyone else's...Well, I'd settle for J. Schaffer's tone, on "Something Wicked"... :rock:

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 18, 2010 9:07pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I have tried just about everything in mine includings kt77's and to me the SED 6l6gc's (winged C's) are by far the best. Much fuller and warmer on the clean channel, smoother and chunkier on the two lead channels. My favorite sound is a tube screamer boosting the crunch channel on this amp. My only thing I would say though is the Gflex cab is the only one I really love this head with (thankfully that is what I have) I think with V30's it makes it way too honky in the midrange and kind of harsh. Good luck I still really dig mine after a few years of use and it's never failed me.

gear:

My Hands, PRS and Taylor guitars, USACG tele build, Budda, Fryette and Jet City amps, Genz Benz, Fryette and ear candy cabs, line6 wireless and effects, lots of dirt pedals :)

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 18, 2010 10:41pm 
Supah Stah

6l6's are better.

My Store...http://www.guitarranch.net

On Twitter.....http://www.twitter.com/GuitarRanch

On Youtube....http://www.youtube.com/user/Greazygeo

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 18, 2010 10:53pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

bigangryguitar wrote:
I have tried just about everything in mine includings kt77's and to me the SED 6l6gc's (winged C's) are by far the best. Much fuller and warmer on the clean channel, smoother and chunkier on the two lead channels. My favorite sound is a tube screamer boosting the crunch channel on this amp. My only thing I would say though is the Gflex cab is the only one I really love this head with (thankfully that is what I have) I think with V30's it makes it way too honky in the midrange and kind of harsh. Good luck I still really dig mine after a few years of use and it's never failed me.

I have a G-Flex 2x12 myself. I know SED's are top notch, I'm trying not to spend that kind of money..They're nearly $120 a quad.. :confused:

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 19, 2010 2:00am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I ran mine, 6l6'S mind you, through a avatar 2x12, geared towards mids, and a genz benz gflex as well. stacked usually...

I also ran my 'bias knob' 3/4 towards the hotter side...I liked having the hotter power section even though, peavey's tend to stay pretty clean anyway...it just made the amp a little more forgiving. I tried putting the el34's back in at some point...and returning the bias knob...and didnt care for it.

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 20, 2010 8:47pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

napalmdeath wrote:
bigangryguitar wrote:

I have a G-Flex 2x12 myself. I know SED's are top notch, I'm trying not to spend that kind of money..They're nearly $120 a quad.. :confused:

i really liked the ruby 6l6gcmstr's in it as well and they are half the price of the SED's. Really only about a 5% difference in the two.

gear:

My Hands, PRS and Taylor guitars, USACG tele build, Budda, Fryette and Jet City amps, Genz Benz, Fryette and ear candy cabs, line6 wireless and effects, lots of dirt pedals :)

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 20, 2010 8:52pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Ive tried a shit ton of 6L6's and a few EL34's but the JJ KT77's blew them all out of the water by FAR but then Im playing through a XXX, but from what I understand they arent worlds apart.

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 21, 2010 8:24am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

deadweight wrote:
Ive tried a shit ton of 6L6's and a few EL34's but the JJ KT77's blew them all out of the water by FAR but then Im playing through a XXX, but from what I understand they arent worlds apart.

That's a true story in the XXX, I much preferred any el34 variant in that amp including the kt77's. The JSX for whatever reason is a 6l6gc amp to my ears.

gear:

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 21, 2010 9:09am 
Supah Stah

I prefer the grind and punch of EL34's in my JSX.
Another thing I like is put a tame sounding 12AX7 in the V3 spot which is for the acive eq. It helps smooth the eq out a bit and makes the mids and highs more pleasant.

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 21, 2010 11:01pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

D-Rock wrote:
put a tame sounding 12AX7 in the V3 spot which is for the acive eq. It helps smooth the eq out a bit and makes the mids and highs more pleasant.

Really? I'll have to try the JAN 12AT7 I got laying around..

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 22, 2010 10:51am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

deadweight wrote:

The JSX with KT77's are indeed full of win. I kinda miss mine, actually, and wouldn't mind picking up a used combo version.

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 24, 2010 10:22am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I agree wholeheartedly on the KT-77s. I put those in a Splawn Comp I had years ago and it added everything I wanted it to. Awesome low-end, more gain, less harshness. The KT-77 might just be perfect. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 24, 2010 10:51am 
Supah Stah

I've considered KT77's with mine, but I really like the EL34's. I don't need any more or tighter low end, or for the amp to be more aggressive.
I think I will be putting KT77's in my GH50L next though. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 25, 2010 11:52pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

D-Rock wrote:
I've considered KT77's with mine, but I really like the EL34's. I don't need any more or tighter low end, or for the amp to be more aggressive.

I had two of those Laneys, and EL34's always sounded best. I ran JJ E34L's in one, and EL34 in the other. Just put SED's in the JSX, and no huge difference over the stock EH's. KT77's might be next.

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 26, 2010 9:43am 
Journeyman NOOB

D-Rock wrote:

I had 6L6s(Ruby), EL34s(Svet before they became SED), and KT77s(JJ) in my GH50L. The KT77s were the best, IMO.

Dropped a set of KT77s into my 3120, fucking love it.

Laney Ironheart 60
Jet City JCA22H
Avatar Vintage 2-12 w/Swamp Thangs
Digitech/Boss/ISP/MXR/etc effects