EVH d-tuna problem... help please

maiden_fan

Fitted the D-tuna to my Charvel Pro Mod, followed the insructions exactly, but it will not return to E from drop D, it ends up about half a step out.

I have tried re-fitting it a few times, and have now left it.

Anyone got any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Tony

Had this happen on a couple guitars. Solved the problem by leveling the FR posts - if one is higher than the other, it can cause uneven tension and result in tension related tuning problems. Also, I understand that there are some quality control issues on some units. I've never seen that though. Be patient - you'll get it.

Like posted above the trem has to be blocked and there is a little set screw in the d-tuna itself to adjust that problem. Set the dropped d with the tuner on the trem and set the E with the little set screw on the d tuna so it will be in perfect tune when in d or E. :rock:

A lot of the D-Tuna's that didn't come on the Wolfgangs had a bur on the inside of teh part that you pull out. Check it & if its not smooth, file it or dremmel it smooth.

Tighten your claw springs so that the block sits nice and tight up against the "block " you put in, worked for me when i had this issue

kissmyace":3emx211s said:
A lot of the D-Tuna's that didn't come on the Wolfgangs had a bur on the inside of teh part that you pull out. Check it & if its not smooth, file it or dremmel it smooth.

This. If every thing is set to dive only etc.
I had a few I had to file. Look where spring and locking bolt slide back and forth in silver piece. The inner surface of the silver barrel may have casting marks or excessive/sloppy plating. Take a needle file and touch up until smooth and bolt spring can slide back and forth without hanging up. Remember with string tension any drag or catching will be greatly amplified.
Other than that small set screw backed out and tuning screw backed out and then screwed in till just touching bolt. Maybe 1 turn.
Easy one you get the hang of it. Trem must have no upward pull at all.
Hope this solves it.
Aloha, Rob.

I had some issues with mine as well, not the same issues but.....

I had to be sure to turn the "E string" fine tuner thumb screw all the way out...(not OFF of the bridge but just not engaged/against the allen bolt)..... Tuned to D with the locking nut UNLOCKED, locked it down and then pushed the D-Tuna in to the E position and fine tuned with the set screw on the the D-Tuna and all was well.....

I also took some emory cloth (sand paper) and sanded all the paint off of the D-Tuna allen bolt and the D-Tuna sliding block and applied a bit of motorcycle grease on both..... really really slick movement now...... and it keeps tune, both up and down....

AND AND AND DONT FORGET TO BLOCK THE TREM!!!!!!!!!!!!

No no guys, all wrong!

Once I had the same problem and it took a long time to figure it out, but the solution is pretty simple!
The little black block (can't remember the name of it) in my Peavey Wolfgang broke into pieces when I put new strings on. So I went to a guitar store to get new ones. I replaced it and the d tuna didn't do its job with 10" gauge strings. Same problem as described above. Only with 9" (42" E). No solution for me.

But one day after searching for the problem I figured out that the replaced locking block is a super tiny bit shorter than the original. I immediately changed it with the one of the A string and it worked again flawlessly. But first I thought I have to replace the screw because I saw that something is to short regarding the movement of the system and the resulting tone change.

So all you have to do is to find a longer locking block.

kgsweb":13e1z01n said:
Had this happen on a couple guitars. Solved the problem by leveling the FR posts - if one is higher than the other, it can cause uneven tension and result in tension related tuning problems. Also, I understand that there are some quality control issues on some units. I've never seen that though. Be patient - you'll get it.
My Pat Pending Peavey Wolgang went out of tune when using the D-tuner. Took me forever to see the trem wasn't sitting flush against the body. Treble side was a tad bit high. Only noticeable by flipping the guitar around and looking at the bridge while using the bar. Treble side moved first. Tightened the treble side of the trem claw screw a couple turns. Problem solved.

Go to the d-tuner site. The tutorial there is excellent.

Back