What is a Bogner Shiva comparable to?

Z_13

What's going on RT members! I just had a quick question for anyone who has played a Shiva, or have any experience/knowledge of a Shiva.

What amp is the Shiva based off of? From what I understand an Uberschall is a super hot rodded 800 type of amp, and the Ecstasy is a plexi/800 type of thing? What about a Shiva?

Never had a chance to play on. No music stores by my house carry one. Just wondering what the deal with these amps are.

Thanks!

Nothing. There's nothing like it. Some people say a JCM800, but it's a different beast. It's quite unique and has a recognizable tone. The Uberschall is the same way. It has it's own sound and there's nothing that sounds like it. There are a host of things that set it apart. It has a very particular midrange. It has kind of a hazy smoothness in the top end. The clean channel is immaculate. It's not really a sparkly clean like a Fender, but then again it's not the typical kind of clean you'd find on a British style amp. It's warm, but never fails to cut through. Probably the closest amp I've heard in comparison is the Bigtone Studio Plex, but it's still very different. It has more prominence in the low end, and a more open top end, but there are some similarities. You're going to have a hard time comparing the tone of the Shiva to anything else. Bogner is a genius and VERY precise in his tweaking of amps. Every amp he makes is unique. There's not much overlap.

SavageRiffer":1kb0zp0y said:
Nothing. There's nothing like it. Some people say a JCM800, but it's a different beast. It's quite unique and has a recognizable tone. The Uberschall is the same way. It has it's own sound and there's nothing that sounds like it. There are a host of things that set it apart. It has a very particular midrange. It has kind of a hazy smoothness in the top end. The clean channel is immaculate. It's not really a sparkly clean like a Fender, but then again it's not the typical kind of clean you'd find on a British style amp. It's warm, but never fails to cut through. Probably the closest amp I've heard in comparison is the Bigtone Studio Plex, but it's still very different. It has more prominence in the low end, and a more open top end, but there are some similarities. You're going to have a hard time comparing the tone of the Shiva to anything else. Bogner is a genius and VERY precise in his tweaking of amps. Every amp he makes is unique. There's not much overlap.

Thanks for the reply!! I've eyeballed the 20th Anniversary Shiva for a long time, almost pulled the trigger a couple times. I just wish I could try one out! YouTube videos don't really do justice with all the compression.

From what I can hear from the videos is that the clean sounds very clear, and full. Sounds really good. The overdrive channel on the other hand, that's what I want to know more about. How much gain is really on tap? Is it an amp that you will have to boost, or run an OD in front of to get a thick saturated tone? For some reason I always thought it was in the same category as an Orange Rockerverb. Not saying they sound the same, but maybe going after the same market? I don't know.....can you explain to me the overdrive channel? What your opinion of it was? What genre of music this amp is designed for?

Thanks!!

I don't see why anyone would need more gain than what a 20th has on board. The earlier revisions need a boost.
SavageRiffer hit the nail on the head. Bogners are very unique in both tone and feel.
The 20th Shiva can get really heavy with a thick, complex and mean midrange grind to it.
With the Mode switch in it has lots of gain. You can take it even further with the footswitchable Boost. That boost has it's own volume control so it can either be used as a solo boost or set to the same volume level it's just another add gain level you can switch to.

peckhart":39sjoxzv said:
I don't see why anyone would need more gain than what a 20th has on board. The earlier revisions need a boost.
SavageRiffer hit the nail on the head. Bogners are very unique in both tone and feel.
The 20th Shiva can get really heavy with a thick, complex and mean midrange grind to it.
With the Mode switch in it has lots of gain. You can take it even further with the footswitchable Boost. That boost has it's own volume control so it can either be used as a solo boost or set to the same volume level it's just another add gain level you can switch to.

Thanks! I don't know how much gain is on tap because I've never played one in person. Some guys say there isn't enough to do hard rock/metal...others say it can easily be done. Some say to put a boost, or OD in front of the amp for metal playing, others say to avoid the amp. I'm just going off of what I read, unfortunately that's all I can do :(

I'm not much of a metal player....more like Mastodon, Coheed & Cambriaish "metal". I don't need a very tight, super saturated tone...I just like to know that the amp CAN get saturated, and super heavy if I want it to. I mainly player clean, melodic riffs to rock/hard rock....slight metal.

I just wish I could try one....it MIGHT be the amp I've been looking for! I do love Bogners...I've played an Ecstasy 101b before, and have owned 4 Uberschalls (Rev 2, 2 Rev Blues, and a Twin Jet). I currently own an Uberschall, and as much as I love it...I feel like it's a one trick pony. It does hard rock, and metal....that's kind of about it.. Which in my opinion it does it better than almost any other amp out there....but I'm not really playing metal music anymore. So, I'm lookin to get a "cleaner", more versatile amp...that can still get super heavy if I want to write some Dropped C songs or something..

I would say the 20th is generally viewed as a versatile amp with a great clean, and great crunch from blues/classic rock up to high gain rock. Not necessarily a go to for straight on metal, but then you have this. ..

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=189112

peckhart":31uquhdu said:
I would say the 20th is generally viewed as a versatile amp with a great clean, and great crunch from blues/classic rock up to high gain rock. Not necessarily a go to for straight on metal, but then you have this. ..

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=189112

:rock:

Dude, that sounds incredible!!

Dude it's perfect for what you're describing. I agree with you on your thoughts about the uber. The 20th Shiva can do super saturated metal but it excels at hard rock (aic, Tool, etc) where you have plenty of gain but don't lose balls, aggression, clarity or dynamics. and of course its a great rock and classic rock machine when in normal mode to boot. Then there's the beautiful clean channel. Go for it man. Seriously.

Bxlxaxkxe":926q1rmo said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm85j5W9LCE
Sounds killer. :rock: You just reminded me of seeing Tool very close off to the left of stage Thursday night. Nothing like them live!

Shiva is a great amp, especially great if you are gigging. It's own thing as posted. A little more Marshall in character. I preferred it and sold my XTC 20th after AB'ing.

Great question, replys are very acurate. Its got its own sound no question. I bought one under the same circumstances. Couldnt play one, loved the videos and reviews. Ordered one. 20th anny, based on the specs of having more gain and a better boost or differnt somehow than the regular Shiva. I had read a post in a thread where someone mentioned it had a certain fuzz to the distortion( fuzz)may not be the best word to describe it. Its pretty acurate tho, in saying its a sound i didnt hear in other amps so that is part of the signature sound.At least for me it was. I had the kt88 verb version. So the clean was really really good. The high gain sounds to me were a very strong low mid voice. Could have been the kt88s. It was a very nice amp ,as good as youll find. I felt it didnt jump out in the mix and i really had to push it it felt like to me. I wasnt sure if it was to much gain( 2 o'clock) or more of the low mid thing or the type of distortion, the Helios seems more in the line of what id feel jumps out a little more as the mids are more aggresive,.not so low mid voiced, or was it the type of gain/distortion the amp is built to produce. Its a gem regardless!!! Glad i had the chance to own it. Wish i could have kept it. I was missing the marshall type mids i love from the helios, friedman,marshall type british distortion. It seems these are more agressive i felt and maybe a bit chewier, meaner. It could be im deaf to some of those frequencies after years of loud rock. Regardless the Shiva 20th is a masterpiece period. Its not my desert island amp but i sure wouldn't frown plugging into one either. Hope this helps.

Beandust":25u5p40t said:
Great question, replys are very acurate. Its got its own sound no question. I bought one under the same circumstances. Couldnt play one, loved the videos and reviews. Ordered one. 20th anny, based on the specs of having more gain and a better boost or differnt somehow than the regular Shiva. I had read a post in a thread where someone mentioned it had a certain fuzz to the distortion( fuzz)may not be the best word to describe it. Its pretty acurate tho, in saying its a sound i didnt hear in other amps so that is part of the signature sound.At least for me it was. I had the kt88 verb version. So the clean was really really good. The high gain sounds to me were a very strong low mid voice. Could have been the kt88s. It was a very nice amp ,as good as youll find. I felt it didnt jump out in the mix and i really had to push it it felt like to me. I wasnt sure if it was to much gain( 2 o'clock) or more of the low mid thing or the type of distortion, the Helios seems more in the line of what id feel jumps out a little more as the mids are more aggresive,.not so low mid voiced, or was it the type of gain/distortion the amp is built to produce. Its a gem regardless!!! Glad i had the chance to own it. Wish i could have kept it. I was missing the marshall type mids i love from the helios, friedman,marshall type british distortion. It seems these are more agressive i felt and maybe a bit chewier, meaner. It could be im deaf to some of those frequencies after years of loud rock. Regardless the Shiva 20th is a masterpiece period. Its not my desert island amp but i sure wouldn't frown plugging into one either. Hope this helps.

I love the Shivas. It's the amp i own the longest time and won't go anywhere. And your description is right. It has less higher mid bite than your typical Marshall type amp. So if someone is out for that, there are other amps fitting better. (I never had an issue in band context though). Having said that, you should revisit the Shiva. I play other M-type amps usually, even an SLO, because of the upper mode-bite. But everytime I then play my Shiva again, it blows me away. Such a powerful, strong, authoritive voice. The voice of a god ;-)

The standard shiva is aimed at moderate high gain vintage voicing lovers, its thick woody open tone is something to be experienced. Some love it and some not so much. It's not a fluid, easy playing type feel or forgiving tone on the lead channel, you have to really dig in and get the power amp working.

What's it based off of? Well, it's based off a few amps actually. The 1st gain stage is shared by the clean and the lead channel and its 100% Soldano with 220k plates and 1.8k/1uF cathode. The 2nd stage is Bogner Ecstasy 100B (aka classic also) with a 100k plate and 2.3k/1.5uF. The final stage and tone stack (EQ) is all Marshall with 820/.68uF and 33k/470p EQ. The power amp is unique and designed to be running on the edge at full tilt with high B+ voltage and it runs hot. Great amp indeed. I ended up modding mine because I love the Ecstasy blue channel but made it be able to go back to the shiva voicing with a switch located on the back.

About to get another Shiva. I miss mine.
Mine was an EL34 version that I had with 6CA7 tubes.

I agree it doesn't pop out of the mix like a high mids amp like a Marshall or even my Archon 100 which is aggressive. That's why I sold it, but now I miss it.

The Shiva is more low mids and sits back a bit, but it's also what makes it so easy to play, I find. Notes just come off the fretboard so easy. I miss mine because I found it so easy playing lead. Nice a soft and forgiving, unlike the more immediate and aggressive high gain amps I've owns and played. My Mark V and Archon are more aggressive and more stiff.

I plan to get a Marshall too, maybe a JVM.

Thanks for the reply!! I've eyeballed the 20th Anniversary Shiva for a long time, almost pulled the trigger a couple times. I just wish I could try one out! YouTube videos don't really do justice with all the compression.

From what I can hear from the videos is that the clean sounds very clear, and full. Sounds really good. The overdrive channel on the other hand, that's what I want to know more about. How much gain is really on tap? Is it an amp that you will have to boost, or run an OD in front of to get a thick saturated tone? For some reason I always thought it was in the same category as an Orange Rockerverb. Not saying they sound the same, but maybe going after the same market? I don't know.....can you explain to me the overdrive channel? What your opinion of it was? What genre of music this amp is designed for?

Thanks!!
City of Evil by Avenged 7 fold was main amp on that album and I think it sounds like it alot

City of Evil by Avenged 7 fold was main amp on that album and I think it sounds like it alot
I thought it was supposed to be the Uberschall on that album. I don’t think the 20th anniversary Bogner’s even came out yet when that album was released

Bogners are just variants of modded marshalls with the bogner twist.
Must be some pretty big twists then because my Uberschall sounds nothing like my Marshall’s, but then again the same can be said with Recto’s vs SLO’s. Sometimes it can be better to not know the technical stuff and just let the ears guide

Back