Old JB VS New, or Bareknuckle Holy Diver

Bad.Seed

Some of you may have seen my NGD 1975 LP post from the weekend.

The T-top that came in it is currently out of commission and I need to have it looked at. In the meantime, I'm continuing my quest for a tighter/clearer JB pickup.

I have like the voice of the newer production for years, but always had issues with the somewhat muddy and loose low end, and no note clarity. I'm primarily a rhythm player, so even though the leads are great with it, It's not my main concern.

Anyways, I've always been interested in the 80's JBJ Jb's. I don't know if I believe internet hype about them being the "Grail" for Duncan, but I do believe there will probably be minute differences. Or for a few bucks more (and by a few, I mean a lot) I could finally splurge and try a Holy Diver. Which I've heard is thick, but clear and tight and an ode to a JB.

My band plays thrash and crossover, lots of triplets and tight fast downpicking. That's why I'm after a full but tight sounding pickup.

Any suggestions?

I like JB pickups and hated the Holy Diver. I get people's complaints over the JB's low end and maybe over the top high end, but it works for me. The Holy Diver fixed those things and is very "clear", I guess, but in the process made the pickup sound thin and very blahhhh to me.

Throw a 500t in there. I have purchased a few for as little as $50. Better in a LP than a JB IME. I have had both in LP's. I wonder how the railhammer chisel would do, but I have not tried it, so don't base it off of me alone.

Tighter/clearer JB? Sounds like what they´re saying about the Thrash Factor, but I haven´t tried it myself. Tighter bass, less mids, more aggressive top.

thenine":2cpdosjw said:
Duncan Custom or Distortion

Neither of these sound like a JB. Not a fan of the custom, but do enjoy the distortion. Trying to keep the JB voicing in tact, though.
Thanks!

swamptrashstompboxes":3bjv981d said:
Throw a 500t in there. I have purchased a few for as little as $50. Better in a LP than a JB IME. I have had both in LP's. I wonder how the railhammer chisel would do, but I have not tried it, so don't base it off of me alone.

I enjoy the 500t's voicing as well, but it's another pickup where I feel the low end is a bit loose and muddy. Certain guitars it plays nice in, others, not so much. I really want to go next level and get the right pickup for this 75 custom, as I know I'll be playing it A LOT. Live and at home.

Dave L":10plmhpl said:
Tighter/clearer JB? Sounds like what they´re saying about the Thrash Factor, but I haven´t tried it myself. Tighter bass, less mids, more aggressive top.

I've been looking at those as well, but can't find one cheap enough to pull the trigger on.

I'm also looking at the antiquity JB if anyone has tried those and can comment?

Bad.Seed":3gbjy7zp said:
swamptrashstompboxes":3gbjy7zp said:

I enjoy the 500t's voicing as well, but it's another pickup where I feel the low end is a bit loose and muddy. Certain guitars it plays nice in, others, not so much. I really want to go next level and get the right pickup for this 75 custom, as I know I'll be playing it A LOT. Live and at home.

I gotcha. I thought this was temporary until you got the ttop potted? Maybe I read it wrong.

If you want to go to the next level, I would go with a BKP or another high end winder.

swamptrashstompboxes":1ju02ds6 said:
Bad.Seed":1ju02ds6 said:
swamptrashstompboxes":1ju02ds6 said:

I gotcha. I thought this was temporary until you got the ttop potted? Maybe I read it wrong.

If you want to go to the next level, I would go with a BKP or another high end winder.

You're not wrong, but I guess I should have elaborated more. In case I don't love the TTop, I want a pickup that will stick for my needs. If I do love the ttop, I'd still like to find a pickup that fits my description, as I have a few other guitars I've been thinking about swapping pups on

Railhammer anvil and chisel kick ass, but I have never tried one on an LP. I found them to be impressively articulate with a hard and heavy attack.

BKP Rebell Yell. Less low end than Holy diver but tighter and more upper mids and harmonics. If Your LP is thick sounding it will fit perfect.

Bare Knuckles in general do not have that really wet charachter the JB has. I prefer BKs for there clarity though. Holy Diver is good , thoigh not my fav BK. For a JB-ish tone the Abraxas and Crawler are worth considering too.

I love jb’s but also have a problem with them being tight enough for modern metal. I heard the aldrich is what josh with cattle decap plays. I might give one a go soon for drop tune broots.

mchn13":2f9fzcoc said:
I love jb’s but also have a problem with them being tight enough for modern metal. I heard the aldrich is what josh with cattle decap plays. I might give one a go soon for drop tune broots.

He loves that pickup from what i have heard. I Have a Aldrich Set that i need to get installed into one of my Les Pauls.

Back