KHDK Ghoul Screamer?

I own the Ghoul , and the Dragon and many many other pedals... I've always had a pedal addiction. . The Ghoul is excellent and if someone wants a Tube Screamer without the mid-hump, and with carveable options it's great. It's all about finding the pedal to fit/match your amp(s) and this one can be dialed in to sound great with most amps due to its features. . If you just want a simple 2 knob boost it's a bit of option overkill though. Eric

Spent a few hours with the Ghoul and THD Flexi. The Flexi is about poweramp overdrive so I'm using the Ghoul different than with the highgain amps. I'm maxing the compression to get the best feel when playing lead.

I gave mine a good run through last night at loud volumes, and did a comparison with a GT-OD, Wylde OD, and Hardwire CM-2, into the Friedman Runt 50. Hate to say it, but the CM-2 was king! Gotta say, it's the best $40 I ever spent! You can really get a fat tone with it.

As Ozz said the other day, the Ghoul Screamer isn't mind-blowing. Not bad, but nothing super special.

It has very little mid-hump, and the bottom stays pretty intact. Does tighten things up, and I could see where it would work considerably well for certain amps, like a Dual Rec, or 5150. For now, the CM-2 will stay put for awhile.

An Airis Tight Pre is on the way, so that'll be fun to try out.

Absolutely agree certain pedals work best with certain amps. The Ghoul sounded great with Sig X and Tremoverb. It sounded OK with the Flexi.

I own the KHDK Ghoul Screamer since it came out and will never part with it. I use it with my Peavey 5150 and Mesa Dual rectifier. It's similar to a Maxon Od-808 but not exactly the same. The Ghoul Screamer is tighter in the bass and has less low mids making it clearer and more articulate. Palm mutes and fast gallops hold together very well with just the right amount of low end. Solos are also clearer. The Od808 in comparison is a little boomier with more low mid honk and grittier/brighter in the top end. Whenever I compare these 2 pedals I always come back to the Ghoul.

I initially bought ghoul for the 5 switches but after much tinkering didn't find them useful. I found that the B/M/T switches do their job but sound a little un-natural. The 2 compression switches are very usable, I can see those beefing up a thinner Marshall type amp. Is the ghoul worth the upgrade from an od808? If you are unhappy with your od808 and want reduced/tighter bass and slightly less low mids, then yes upgrade.

I have also compared the Ghoul screamer to an Airis Effects Savage Drive and much prefer the khdk. It has more mids...more tone than the Airis. The airis has more grit, more bite and is transparent sounding. Kind of like a fatter SD-1.

Last edited:
I just bought one when they went on sale and sold it about two weeks later. Its not a bad pedal at all but I definitely agree its not something to buy if you already on a Maxon(like I do)

ClintN667":34agrqej said:
I just bought one when they went on sale and sold it about two weeks later. Its not a bad pedal at all but I definitely agree its not something to buy if you already on a Maxon(like I do)

Yeah, I did the same. Sounds great, but didn't have the mojo of my Cusack or Savage Drive.

I liked the Ghoul Screamer enough that I bought the KHDK No.1 and No.2 also. The No.2 with the switch set to HI just kicks ass.
All three pedals sound great with all my amps. Better than my expectations.

metal_master":4ynqgyy3 said:
I wonder how khdk GS would compare to an Ibanez ts9
You can get them similar.... But the Ghoul Screamer has more range and a lot more versatile. The versatility is nice for setting it up for different amplifiers. How I set the switches depends on the amp....as much as what type of sound I am going after.

swamptrashstompboxes":1nmb0h2j said:
I am more of a basic boost guy. Too many switches and and functions kind of dilutes the core tone for me,or I spend all day switching switches lol.

I am not trying to be weird quoting myself, but as more have tried it, does anybody else feel how i do?

I need a good pedal to do the one or two 'right' things, not 10 things just 'ok'.

swamptrashstompboxes":2m0rah08 said:
swamptrashstompboxes":2m0rah08 said:
I am more of a basic boost guy. Too many switches and and functions kind of dilutes the core tone for me,or I spend all day switching switches lol.

I am not trying to be weird quoting myself, but as more have tried it, does anybody else feel how i do?

I need a good pedal to do the one or two 'right' things, not 10 things just 'ok'.

Cusack Screamer does just that. I still like my Savage Drive, but the Cusack is perfect, as is.

It adds a good deal of warmth without flub, yet the tone knob lets you add any amount of slice and clarity you desire. Warmth, clarity, and tight, all in one SIMPLE box.

napalmdeath":22yyhez0 said:
swamptrashstompboxes":22yyhez0 said:
swamptrashstompboxes":22yyhez0 said:

Cusack Screamer does just that. I still like my Savage Drive, but the Cusack is perfect, as is.

It adds a good deal of warmth without flub, yet the tone knob lets you add any amount of slice and clarity you desire. Warmth, clarity, and tight, all in one SIMPLE box.

Thanks. I have it saved. Personally I go between a MI Audio Blues Pro, Timmy, and a Fulltone FD-2. They do what I need. But I will look at the Cusack.

I just did some direct A/B with a few pedals. The Ghoul with all switches up was pretty close to a 808. With the Body switch down it was close to a Savage Drive.

I don't change the switches much...but I do set them different with individual amps.

I bought it at the sale price, and it has become my go-to drive among the other I own, which are a TS-808, MXR M77, SD-1, CM2, Savage Drive and Mesa Grid Slammer.

The drive adds everything I like, and nothing that I don't. It's the tightest of the drives I own, to my ear, without removing too much low end. Mids are in the right place and the right amount, love the compression options. I generally leave everything flipped in the up position.

The MXR was my go to for about 7 years until I got the Ghoul Screamer. I still love the MXR, but prefer the clarity, slightly more mild mids and punch of the Ghoul.

I will agree, certain drives fit certain amps/setups better than others, and it depends on the situation, but this is a good all-rounder for my needs.

stephen sawall":18pi4gb1 said:
I just did some direct A/B with a few pedals. The Ghoul with all switches up was pretty close to a 808. With the Body switch down it was close to a Savage Drive.

I don't change the switches much...but I do set them different with individual amps.
I can't quite put my finger on it, but when I a/b the OD 808 & savage drive there was something different in the character of the bass with the savage drive. It's tight but it also feels hard in a way. Hard to explain. The ghoul screamer definitely has more midrange definition whereas the savage has more treble attack.

Back