YES, NEW Sykes is out!

First impression was good with the opening riff and tone. Not sure I am digging the vocals and I was expecting more from the solo. Overall though it was alright I guess.

i enjoyed that, good Production, full sound. Liked the high vocals over top too. Thanks for posting, I’ll definitely check out the album

Major, major league Sykes fan here. I get some of the tepid responses. Sykes has put out such incredible songs, vocals and of course melodic shred solos that it has GOT to be difficult to keep ‘matching’ your previous efforts - let alone moving the bar every time.

But here is my knee-jerk response to listening to this: with today‘s quantum advances in home recording technology, how many members quietly lurking on this forum can produce / have produced equally impressive tracks in the comfort of their own home??? Many (most?) of the members of this forum were playing live in the late 80s - early 90’s before the advent of the internet. The only way to make a recording like this was to have access to an old-school ‘recording studio.’ Back when record labels basically held the keys to studio production, only a select few musicians ever had the chance to get their talent heard. Countless killer, killer players slogged it out on their local circuits praying to get noticed - and it never happened for many who genuinely deserved it. Now, great players really have a wide open horizon to get their talent out there.

I didn't mind it, the guy still sounds solid vocally for his age though you can tell he can't go where he used to there. I feel like that chorus has been written a thousand times ( as most music has now) but that the lyrics could have used some work. Lead wise, started great, should have thrown in a speedy tasty lick at the end to remind us of who we are dealing with. Sort of missed the mark on " I'm back bitches!" And went for more of a " hey! Over here. Yeah it's me, hi guys ..I guess?"

So glad to see new material coming from him!!

gotta say, though, lyrics are pretty rough - ‘there’s nowhere you can run / like a rabbit from a gun’....ouch

will be awesome to check out an album’s worth of material

Listened a few times now... growing on me a bit. Def. better not to read the lyrics. The tone is monstrous of course. That's his sig. sound alright.

b7e4a4bb8d43d1d1f6297461fe1c277e.png

R-10051499-1510345960-7707.jpeg.jpg

Like the Sykes both new & old.
John is an amazing talent.
A force to be reckoned.
Coverdale shit on John hard in what should have been the height of his Career and Sykes still came out on top.
His songs get airplay here every week even after nearly 40 years.
He can do what he wants IMO.

Last edited:
He found a way to work Wernher von Braun into the lyrics. Gotta love that. The main riff reminds me of Kashmir. I don’t hate it. Seems that maybe he’s trying to get some air play with this track.

Back