Gub Tech Guul? Zuul clone?

Crunchtime

Has anyone heard of this Canadian pedal maker Gub Tech? They make some interesting pedals. Some appear to me as clones.

Their GUUL noise gate seems to be a Zuul clone. The graphics may be a love or hate thing but the prices don't seem too bad.

I've been considering trying a new gate, been running an original Decimator forever andI saw a couple vids on Youtube by Louis Torres and Truck Driver Shawn that made this gate seem worth a look.

Scored a used GUUL for $100 on Reverb last night so, we shall see.

As I said, they have some cool pedals. They have a combo pedal that has the Fortin 33 and Grind in it among others. I don't know if this will get backlash here since the guy seems to have no trouble borrowing others designs but, my understanding is Fortin borrowed the Zuul from the KK2203 gate.

Does the Guul use a 4 cable method or like the Zuul has the Key Input?

Not 100% sure but I believe it has key and can use 4 cable method. The Gub Tech site has some illustrations showing a couple different hook up options. I'm not anexpert on these things. As I said, been using the original decimator forever.

Not 100% sure but I believe it has key and can use 4 cable method. The Gub Tech site has some illustrations showing a couple different hook up options. I'm not anexpert on these things. As I said, been using the original decimator forever.
Thanks.. I just checked and yes it can do the 4-cable method or using "Key" input like the Zuul. Very interesting... and price is right.. especially if it works as good as the Zuul.

Guptech makes good stuff. I have their mad honker, a TC integrated pre and an 808 in one box. Can run in series or parallel with a blend knob. Covers a lot of ground for boosting. Good prices and really clean builds.

I can't speak for the Guul - I dont use a loop and have never felt that the ISP decimator had any shortcomings as a gate up front. If you're looking for one of those 4 cable gimmicks the price can't be beat.

I just got mine, it remedied the issues I had with my Zuul (Hermansson Marshall doesn’t like the splitter set-up for some reason). No tone loss, same gating speed as the Zuul, I’d highly recommend it

I loved the Zuul. I decided to get rid of it cause I just dont want to support the Fortin army. I'm using a Duality DX for a noise gate until getting my Deadweald noise gate. Apparently it has 2 channels and doesn't need a splitter.

tell me more of these issues
Not sure if it’s my specific Zuul or the donor amp, but there is an oscillation with them together. The Guul fixed that with the 4cm. I tried several things to fix it and they just don’t pair well. Mine anyways, Jocke Skog is using them both together on this YouTube video without issue.

I loved the Zuul. I decided to get rid of it cause I just dont want to support the Fortin army. I'm using a Duality DX for a noise gate until getting my Deadweald noise gate. Apparently it has 2 channels and doesn't need a splitter.
I checked out their website. Are you having them custom build a noise gate? I didn’t see one on their site.

Their Torch pedal is supposed to be an HM-2 clone for that Swedish death metal chainsaw tone. I may have to buy one of those, and possible the Guul too.

I checked out their website. Are you having them custom build a noise gate? I didn’t see one on their site.
It's not released yet. I'm supposed to get a prototype to test in the next week or so. I think Kyle Bull gets to take a crack at it before it gets to me.

It's going to be a limited edition I think and I think it's going to be pretty affordable

I've got a custom pedal coming from GUP that has their "Chiou" boost + "Guul" + KSTR Delay. Probably in 3-4 weeks.

I'll compare it to my Zuul when I get it. Maybe I'll go up a video. 👍🏻

Last edited:
Update:

I finally got my GUUL after the USPS shipped it on a very odd route. It was however worth the wait.

It took me a minute to wrap my head around the hookup process since I am used to an original Decimator. But, after a few minutes I had it hooked up through the loop and front of amp.

It through me off a minute to have my rig completely dead silent, Still getting used to that.

Another differnce I notice is that you can set this much lower than a Decimator. With the knob at 9 0'clock, my amp at very high gain and moderate volume my amp is dead silent.

I'm very satisfied with this pedal.

Update:

I finally got my GUUL after the USPS shipped it on a very odd route. It was however worth the wait.

It took me a minute to wrap my head around the hookup process since I am used to an original Decimator. But, after a few minutes I had it hooked up through the loop and front of amp.

It through me off a minute to have my rig completely dead silent, Still getting used to that.

Another differnce I notice is that you can set this much lower than a Decimator. With the knob at 9 0'clock, my amp at very high gain and moderate volume my amp is dead silent.

I'm very satisfied with this pedal.
awesome. glad to hear you're happy with it. I am looking forward to getting my Custom combo pedal as well. should be good.

Every gate I try adds a low mid push or something like that to my tone and I hate it. The low end gets bloated and I lose some tightness. I want to say that I can hear that same thing happening here but it is hard to tell with the audio quality.

The Boss NS-2 was really bad using the 4CM or just in front and the Decimator G String II that I have now does it as well but to a much lesser degree. Actually it is not very noticeable with the ISP when running only out front with my OD's in the pedal loop but I do still hear some tone loss. Interested in giving the Guul a shot.

One more note about the Guul is when I initially set it up all seemed fine but when I engaged my delay the tails were being chopped off by the gate. I realized I needed to have it on the return line going into the Guul. The illustrations on the site are great but I was brain-farting when picturing my effects added into the equation.

if anyone else ends up having similar issues feel free to pm me and I can break it down really easy how to connect your Guul to the loop and your effects.

Back