Lynch 1989-90

Beast and my fave player of that genre.

Someone years back described his solos as the sound of a cat being put in a blender.

:D

Last edited:
He was killer back then !
percent of what he does now sucks in my opinion .

The same old regurgitated shit over and over !
He trys to be relevant .

I think John Levin sounds more like Lynch on the Dokken stuff then Lynch does these days.

This has the makings of a very interesting and enlightening thread. First things first, I am a huge Lynch fan - I know aficionados consider ‘Back for the Attack’ to be his pinnacle work, but I absolutely Loved Under Lock and Key and the first 2 Lynch Mob albums. And as much as I hate to say it, I also understand that his most recent stuff seems to be missing ‘something.’ That being said, I saw him live only a few years ago and I was blown away - all the fire, clarity, and swing / groove was on full display. Nobody expects great athletes to get continually better until the day they die - all the greats reach a point where it is painfully obvious to everyone (except them, sadly) that their best game / fight whatever was the most recent one in the rear-view mirror. Playing any instrument in a chops-heavy genre is necessarily a physical endeavor, whether Chopin, Paganini, Racer-X or anything in between. There comes a point when the connective tissue, the joints, the neurons just don’t all fire like they once did. And as far as the creative element of things - consumers and fans understandably want to see inspiration turned on and off like a faucet for every live performance and every recording session - but God knows it just doesn’t work that way. I can think of days when everything is clicking to the point where it almost feels like the guitar is playing itself - and I can also think of days when I have all the time in the world staring at the guitar and amp across the room, and I just have no desire to go pick it up.

I saw Lynch Mob a few years ago on the tour for their Brotherhood album. He was playing the ESP sig strat with the HSS config and a Les Paul. He played through what looked like a 50 watt plexi with a digital delay unit in the rack. One of the old school delay units with knobs all over it. He would use the humbucker for the heavier parts and flip to the neck single for the cleaner parts. He was on absolute fire that night. I saw him ten years ago at a small club. Stood right in front of him all night long. You could tell he was sick and struggling just to be on stage. That show was hit and miss. Some songs he nailed, and others he was struggling on. When he is having a good night, he is still "that guy."

IMHO, the first two Lynch Mob albums are by far my favorites in the Lynch timeline.

I think he went through a rough period playing wise in the sort of early mid 2000's but he has pulled out of it since 2015 because I also saw him a few years back and holy shit was he on fire. He had the groove and swing and in and out of a bit of experimentation around the main parts, he kept the signature phrasing for the leads that mattered and it just was so damn tasty. His tone was awesome too. Love his groove. Is he the best player out of that era? You can always debate it but he is definitely a special player who has way more of a signature tone than people give him credit for. Anyway, a truly memorable show.. it's too bad so many people ruin the experience by watching through their phones. I will never forget him playing Mr.Scary right in front of some guy's face because he was the only guy NOT with a phone out. People watching the whole damn show through a phone. I don't get it. Love Lynch though, sadly before long all these guys will be retired. Truly the end of an era as they get replaced by guys who have chops but who all sound the same because they are also all produced the same way.

George was and still is my biggest influence, even though I haven't been into any of his recorded stuff since the solo Sacred Groove album in 93, and some parts of Dysfunctional back with Dokken in 95. Classic Dokken and Lynch Mob era are some of the best examples of 80's shred with tons of style and killer riffage. You could always tell it was George playing, he really had his own (and extremely cool) identity in an ocean of shredders.

George has never been a consistent player live even back in the glory days. But when he was "on" he was pretty untouchable, and as others have said, even in more recent times he can still bring it some nights. His tone is not helping, he's made for high gain...I'd like to hear him just dial back in a straight-forward metal tone, and no more phaser or effects weirdness. I know he likes to experiment and try different things, and I totally get that as an artist you want to explore things creatively. And awesome if that gives him an outlet for expression. But personally I miss the old George, and not just the lead stuff but also all the old great riffs. Maybe the well is a bit dry at this point, but again, his all around playing was just killer back in the day.

George was and still is my biggest influence, even though I haven't been into any of his recorded stuff since the solo Sacred Groove album in 93, and some parts of Dysfunctional back with Dokken in 95. Classic Dokken and Lynch Mob era are some of the best examples of 80's shred with tons of style and killer riffage. You could always tell it was George playing, he really had his own (and extremely cool) identity in an ocean of shredders.

George has never been a consistent player live even back in the glory days. But when he was "on" he was pretty untouchable, and as others have said, even in more recent times he can still bring it some nights. His tone is not helping, he's made for high gain...I'd like to hear him just dial back in a straight-forward metal tone, and no more phaser or effects weirdness. I know he likes to experiment and try different things, and I totally get that as an artist you want to explore things creatively. And awesome if that gives him an outlet for expression. But personally I miss the old George, and not just the lead stuff but also all the old great riffs. Maybe the well is a bit dry at this point, but again, his all around playing was just killer back in the day.
AND, he should use a pick more on his leads! But so true, the lack of gain has hurt him. He was always best with a slight push from an OD into a good sounding MArshall style circuit.

Agreed. Was my main influence for a long time as well. I feel much about George as I do another one of my favorite players and that is Adrian Vandenberg. When they were at the top of their game they were about as original as you could get. You knew (or at least I did) who it was the moment you heard them. I'll always be a fan of both but for inspiration I look elsewhere nowadays.

And I get it, players of their caliber can stand still, or they evolve. And sometimes when they evolve they veer out of what made you love them in the first place. To me that's pretty much what happened with George and Adrian. Just never know if the player will ever get back there or even if they are capable of getting back there much less, do they want too. Thankfully there's alot of old product to get that fix.

Lynch has been a big influence and he was on fire during this period for sure. I actually own his old concho guitar strap from the Guitar Bible video and a DS-1 he used. Under Lock And Key would be my favorite Lynch moment.

Attachments

• PB300840.JPG
    PB300840.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 37
He's playing through a shitty little Fender amp there but listen to him wail. Insane. So aggressive. Same with that vid of Norum warming up through a little crappy Marshall. It is their phrasing and attack . So good.
That Fender amp is a Rivera era Super Champ, rumored to be what Di Martini cut his leads on Out of the Cellar with. GREAT amps ! They have plenty of gain and a great snarl, and a cool stinging quality. They’re pretty collectible too. Especially the ones with the factory EV speaker and the oak cabinet.

That Fender amp is a Rivera era Super Champ, rumored to be what Di Martini cut his leads on Out of the Cellar with. GREAT amps ! They have plenty of gain and a great snarl, and a cool stinging quality. They’re pretty collectible too. Especially the ones with the factory EV speaker and the oak cabinet.
I had no idea but if that is what it is, that's def what Warren was using on Out of the Cellar! What a tone. They should reissue that thing.

Back