NCD. Guitar Cabinets Direct 4x12

scottosan

Loaded it with 4 brand new G12-65 heritage speakers. First off, the cab is very well built. Took about 3 weeks from ordering until shipping. It costed $479 shipped.

Second, I went out on a limb and ordered these speakers. They seem to have a lot of low end and very smooth top. If you are coming from a greenback variant, you will definitely be readjusting your tone controls. At lower volumes the sound good, but when I gave them some volume they really bloom and hold things together keeping all frequencies balanced. I wonder what they’ll be like once broken in. Cleans are excellent as well. So far so good. It’s good to have some variety.

Last edited:
My main cab is an '82 1960a with those speakers. Sounds fantastic to me with Marshall's and the tighter/brighter SLO derivatives. Not my fav cab with Rectifiers and dark amps with massive low end, though.

My main cab is an '82 1960a with those speakers. Sounds fantastic to me with Marshall's and the tighter/brighter SLO derivatives. Not my fav cab with Rectifiers and dark amps with massive low end, though.

Same here except ‘84 B. I agree killer speakers with smooth top end. Also agree not my fave for modernish tones. I use UberKab for that. But for the Marshall grind and in between tones those 65’s are the ones for me.

Great speakers. The earlier Marshall labeled versions are brighter; closer to GBs than the Heritage or later darker 65s. I have my 72 Trem running through the matching G12m Pulsonic cab and my 79 1960a with 65s and they are very close tone wise.

Great speakers. The earlier Marshall labeled versions are brighter; closer to GBs than the Heritage or later darker 65s. I have my 72 Trem running through the matching G12m Pulsonic cab and my 79 1960a with 65s and they are very close tone wise.
I was about to say Racer loves those G1265's!:yes::D

If I remember correctly didn't Celestion market the G1265 as a higher powered Greenback?

I agree the new reissues are a little dark with rolloffed highs but they still sound great. I have one in my 1x12 modded Marshall 2203 combo amp and it sounds great.

What years were the early G1265's that were the brighter models, probably rare as hens teeth now.:bash:

I was about to say Racer loves those G1265's!:yes::D

If I remember correctly didn't Celestion market the G1265 as a higher powered Greenback?

I agree the new reissues are a little dark with rolloffed highs but they still sound great. I have one in my 1x12 modded Marshall 2203 combo amp and it sounds great.

What years were the early G1265's that were the brighter models, probably rare as hens teeth now.:bash:
78/79. I haven’t had a 1980 cab but I have had one from 83 and 84; silver Celestion labels instead of the Marshall stickers. It’s the 3120 cone that’s brighter. They say there were over 30 different cones used for the 65. But my exp is that they all have the same response; to match my 79 cab the 83 would just have to be brightened up on the amps eq to match it.
The first version 75 with the vents on the magnets are the ‘higher powered GB’ first advertised way back. I have an 83 B cab with them.

Good looking cabinet there Scottosan! You can't beat the price.

Where is the manufacturer located?
North Carolina. Right down the road from Mojotone, but not affiliated with each other. I’ve owned a Mojotone cab and it was surely different

These G12-65s are interesting beasts. At first at conversation levels, I thought the highs were pretty rolled off and the cab has more grunt and girth. No big deal, I just had to bump my treble from 11:00 to 12:00-ish That's what tone controls are for right? But psychologically you think they're dark speakers. The reality is that they have a fuller bottom and low mids. If you turn the bass down they don't sound as dark

But, when you give these things some volume they sound so full, balanced and musical. Took me a few hours to figure them out but I really like them. Best clean tone out of a 4x12 that I've owned too.

I’d say they are the most balanced of the celestions I have. They mix good with a v30 if you are layering

These G12-65s are interesting beasts. At first at conversation levels, I thought the highs were pretty rolled off and the cab has more grunt and girth. No big deal, I just had to bump my treble from 11:00 to 12:00-ish That's what tone controls are for right? But psychologically you think they're dark speakers. The reality is that they have a fuller bottom and low mids. If you turn the bass down they don't sound as dark

But, when you give these things some volume they sound so full, balanced and musical. Took me a few hours to figure them out but I really like them. Best clean tone out of a 4x12 that I've owned too.
Yep, they are at their best up loud..sure that's a common theme but they change their character for the better more so than say a V30, which keeps the same basic sound low-high volume.
Really the best all-around speaker for a Marshall style amp IMO. GBs are better for some things but 65s do almost every style well...with the exception of super tight fast riffing but metal guys would have the last say on that..they get tight enough for me when I've covered Metallica or Pantera in the past.

Loaded it with 4 brand new G12-65 heritage speakers. First off, the cab is very well built. Took about 3 weeks from ordering until shipping. It costed $479 shipped.

Second, I went out on a limb and ordered these speakers. They seem to have a lot of low end and very smooth top. If you are coming from a greenback variant, you will definitely be readjusting your tone controls. At lower volumes the sound good, but when I gave them some volume they really bloom and hold things together keeping all frequencies balanced. I wonder what they’ll be like once broken in. Cleans are excellent as well. So far so good. It’s good to have some variety.

Is this from the one in NC we were talking about by mojotone?

Back