Anyone given an amp a ‘second chance’ and glad they did???

PDC

There was a recent thread about how long it took to know whether an amp was for you. The vast majority of us said we knew within just a few minutes. A few said that they really needed time to work through settings, speakers, and combinations of guitars and pickups to know for sure. I bought myself a brand new - ordered for me - Fully Loaded 50 Watt Splawn Nitro a while back, and at first never really ‘bonded’ with it. It sounded fine, but it didn’t ‘grab’ me the way that my 50 Watt Fully Loaded QR did within the first 5 minutes - and still does. I actually had the Nitro listed here and on Reverb for a while, and after a few weeks with no decent offers, I just decided to keep it. Recently, I rolled a bunch of power tubes through this amp and settled on what I found to be the best sounding pair. Then, over the last few days, I just started from scratch - all knobs on noon - and just started working the Old/New and Mid Cut/Boost switches back and forth BEFORE tweaking the tone stack. And the settings I am using now are vastly different than how I had it set for the first 18 month of ownership. I just finished playing this amp for several hours and it is an absolute ‘Keeper.’ I think I might even like this baby more than my #1 QR. I can say that I found the tone stack to be EXTREMELY interactive with the Old/New and Mid/Cut switches - you can get into completely different spectrums of midrange that either do - or absolutely do NOT - work with whatever cab you are using. I always found this amp a little to ‘full’ in the low mids without enough upper midrange definition - well, by starting at ground zero, I was able to cure that in spades. It’s just nice to know that by being patient and giving this particular amp some time in the corral, I have wound up really, really happy.

Mostly before I knew anything about amps. One specifically i remember was playing a Twin Jet at Eddie's Guitars. I thought it was junk, just a very over priced Peavey. Then someone brought one to the jam spot and I was floored.

Now I give every amp a good amount of time before I judge. Cab, pedals, guitars, pickups. I learned its not JUST the amp.

Mostly before I knew anything about amps. One specifically i remember was playing a Twin Jet at Eddie's Guitars. I thought it was junk, just a very over priced Peavey. Then someone brought one to the jam spot and I was floored.

Now I give every amp a good amount of time before I judge. Cab, pedals, guitars, pickups. I learned its not JUST the amp.
Also, sometimes you spend a long time with an amp, and so you try a new one and try to dial it in the same way. Yeah. Patience is best.

Reactions: PDC
I tried an Uberschall 3-4 times before I came around to them and ended up keeping an original (Rev 1). Hated the first 1-2 I had, so I’m glad I tried more.

Also, some amps aren't polite at low volume. Twin Jet and Avenger sounded great at low volumes. Some other amps didn't. I mean, honestly 105+dbs or gtfo, but if you are just playing and not trying to wake the family, it is cool to have some good low tones.

Mesa Boogie Mark amps. I played a Mark III in a store and hated it, but luckily after going on forums like this one and learning how to dial it in, the Mark IV became one if my favorite amps all time. Now I gotta find another Mark III to try

I know within the very first few minutes if it's for me or not. How many minutes depends on how in depth the controls and options are. For example, it took me about half an hour to establish that a mark V doesnt work for me. But it only took 5 minutes to decide a Sunn model T wasnt for me. When people say it didn't take them alot of time; theyre saying they have a very specific sound, and it didn't take long to surmise that the amp wasn't for them.

This works even with amps you don't absolutely love, or you don't absolutely hate, but fall somewhere in the middle. For example, I think a Fryette deliverance is a good sounding amp, but it wasn't something i would probably buy, in probably 5 minutes. The more amps you play and mess around with, and the more time you spend with them, the quicker youll be able to tell what tube changes and common speaker variations WOULD DO with that circuit, and not need the extra time to physically set it up, and test it out.

I know within the very first few minutes if it's for me or not. How many minutes depends on how in depth the controls and options are. For example, it took me about half an hour to establish that a mark V doesnt work for me. But it only took 5 minutes to decide a Sunn model T wasnt for me. When people say it didn't take them alot of time; theyre saying they have a very specific sound, and it didn't take long to surmise that the amp wasn't for them.

This works even with amps you don't absolutely love, or you don't absolutely hate, but fall somewhere in the middle. For example, I think a Fryette deliverance is a good sounding amp, but it wasn't something i would probably buy, in probably 5 minutes. The more amps you play and mess around with, and the more time you spend with them, the quicker youll be able to tell what tube changes and common speaker variations WOULD DO with that circuit, and not need the extra time to physically set it up, and test it out.
I think the biggest thing, for me after 12 years of nerding it out with gear is I wish I had learned more before starting to spend the cash and get on the gear merry go round. You mention speakers, this IMO is the BIGGEST thing that you need to learn about when it comes to each and every amp you try. The right speaker choice can make or break the experience. You can't make a Marshall like a V30, other than a Jubilee. I tried to force feed a Recto cab years ago with every modded or stock Marshall I brought in. Sounded ok, but nothing great. Then I sold the Recto cab and found a mint 1979 Marshall cab with 65s and I thought I was in tonal heaven. Of course after that I started here on RT and learned a ton about how important it is to match the amp up with a cab that will let it shine the most.

I had a few NMV Marshalls in the past, but they all had mods of one type or another and wasn't impressed. Last summer I took a chance on a totally stock 72 Tremolo, and it ended up being the best choice I've made in gear. Desert Island amp for me, plus I found a 72 cab to go with it.

I think the biggest thing, for me after 12 years of nerding it out with gear is I wish I had learned more before starting to spend the cash and get on the gear merry go round. You mention speakers, this IMO is the BIGGEST thing that you need to learn about when it comes to each and every amp you try. The right speaker choice can make or break the experience. You can't make a Marshall like a V30, other than a Jubilee. I tried to force feed a Recto cab years ago with every modded or stock Marshall I brought in. Sounded ok, but nothing great. Then I sold the Recto cab and found a mint 1979 Marshall cab with 65s and I thought I was in tonal heaven. Of course after that I started here on RT and learned a ton about how important it is to match the amp up with a cab that will let it shine the most.

I had a few NMV Marshalls in the past, but they all had mods of one type or another and wasn't impressed. Last summer I took a chance on a totally stock 72 Tremolo, and it ended up being the best choice I've made in gear. Desert Island amp for me, plus I found a 72 cab to go with it.
Shows you how much I know, I *prefer* my Larry with v30s :ROFLMAO: it does weird things with celestions, man. Even T75s, it really sounds great.

Shows you how much I know, I *prefer* my Larry with v30s :ROFLMAO: it does weird things with celestions, man. Even T75s, it really sounds great.
V30s work with many amps; I just didn't know much about trying to 'match' the amp up with the right type of speaker, i.e. greenback type with a Marshall, Mesas with V30s etc. There's a bunch of amps I owned that I probably wouldn't have flipped so fast, trying to force feed that Mesa cab with every amp BUT a Mesa lol.
I will say that the 2 Mesas I have now are not picky about any of my cabs; they sound nice through all my Marshall cabs in addition to the Mesas. But the Mark IIIs I had didn't like anything BUT the Mesa V30 cab. Amps can be picky bastards. Seems like my favorite amps that I have settled on now like any speaker I throw at them. Like your Larry.

Yeah. I like wizard with my 30/k100 cab. But i bet it would fucking sound amazing with greenbacks. If you want to bring me a greenback cab, I will play through it.

V30s work with many amps; I just didn't know much about trying to 'match' the amp up with the right type of speaker, i.e. greenback type with a Marshall, Mesas with V30s etc. There's a bunch of amps I owned that I probably wouldn't have flipped so fast, trying to force feed that Mesa cab with every amp BUT a Mesa lol.
I will say that the 2 Mesas I have now are not picky about any of my cabs; they sound nice through all my Marshall cabs in addition to the Mesas. But the Mark IIIs I had didn't like anything BUT the Mesa V30 cab. Amps can be picky bastards. Seems like my favorite amps that I have settled on now like any speaker I throw at them. Like your Larry.

It also has alot to do with the player and what YOU need OUT of your amp. Until i found the larry, I was always unhappy with how every amp reacted to speakers, guitars, pedals, EVERYTHING.

I will also play that larry. I just don't want you guys thinking I am against you bringing me toys.

Hey man. If youre ever in the PNW, you're actually more than welcome to try it. You wouldnt be the first.

Shit, I'm drunk right now, and drunkenly noodling on my larry. And if I can do it such grave, indecent injustices, so can a couple buddies from guitar forums. I even posted an Instagram of me drunkenly noodling on my Larry for you.

https://www.instagram.com/p/COT5-iDpKcO/?igshid=1qp2mjc19e586

Yes,I gave a Krankenstein a second chance and was glad I did.
I confirmed that i still hated it.

Sent it off to Lickliter who gutted it and put his own circuit in it. So much better.
Was glad he gave it a real life. It was like a pig with two faces was transformed into a beautiful swan with a chainsaw.

PRS Archon! I bought one used from GC, but it needed a lot of work, so I brought it back. Found another one a few months later that was nicer that I straight traded my Runt 50 for...couldn’t be happier. One of my best buds has a bunch of old boogies and we a/b’d my Archon w/one of his IiC+ and got it veeeeeery close sounding...like alarmingly close.

Anyway, I moved my family to Colorado from California a few months ago, and all my shit was in storage and I haven’t played much on the last six months, but I got my house sort of situated, including my studio room, and I was able to play my amp for a few minutes...fuck that thing sounds good. Glad I bought it!

Attachments

• F7535DC2-320E-4CA2-A32D-7210A5C458E3.jpeg
    F7535DC2-320E-4CA2-A32D-7210A5C458E3.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 55
The amps I had initially crossed off my list were just because I tried the wrong version/revision and then I learned better (like with some Diezel's, Recto's, Wizard's, Soldano's and others)

I also didn't like some of the vintage NMV Marshall's super leads I'd tried in the past, but it was just because they desperately needed servicing

Other than that, I can't think of any one specific amp where I changed my mind about it later. I'm very thorough with the way I test gear and do lots of AB comparisons with amps I already know well. I am very glad though that I later considered that I just didn't try the right version. I guess some say they're not a boogie guy or not a Marshall guy or not a Diezel guy, but I'm an everything guy with amps as long as the quality of sound is there, so that's why the right revision is crucial for me

Hey man. If youre ever in the PNW, you're actually more than welcome to try it. You wouldnt be the first.

Shit, I'm drunk right now, and drunkenly noodling on my larry. And if I can do it such grave, indecent injustices, so can a couple buddies from guitar forums. I even posted an Instagram of me drunkenly noodling on my Larry for you.

https://www.instagram.com/p/COT5-iDpKcO/?igshid=1qp2mjc19e586
The sad thing is I am thinking of making an instagram account to see this noodling. The shame..

I think the jvm is pretty much the start of a long line of amps trying to give people versatility. Some guys want a shit load of versatility. I want a very simple amp that does one or possibly two things well. No channels. No footswitch. Just a boost pedal, and a volume knob.

Back