What cabs are you using these days?

I have a few others but 95% of the time I use 2 Bogner straight cabs. 1 with V30's. The other with Greenbacks and with the batting removed.

Marshall 1960B with Eminence Legends, and a Mesa 2x12 with V30's. I Soon I'll try to find a get EVH 4x12 to have more sound options

I'm using Marshall 1936vintage or a KSR 2x12 with a creamback 75/v30.

I always get tempted to sell them to get a zilla.

Marshall 1960B with Eminence Legends, and a Mesa 2x12 with V30's. I Soon I'll try to find a get EVH 4x12 to have more sound options
I had an evh 4x12. Hated the thing alone the whole time I had it. Only sounded good blended with the mills with v30s. Day I sold it, heard a guy play a sliver jubilee through it, and it was the most amazing sound I had heard. Now I wish i had that cab to try with the Warshall.

I had no problem at all with my old Peavey VTM/Butcher cabs with various speakers, but a few years ago I said Fuck it and got an Emperor tall 412. Followed by a second Emperor tall 412. The speakers are staggered so the cab is a few inches taller. They sound really good, but I ultimately got them cause I like the way they look. They haven’t left my upstairs music room since and probably never will unless I sell them. If I need to bring a cab somewhere I still have the Peavey cabs in the garage.

I landed on straight Bogner 4x12 with Scumbacks J75 top/ H75 bottom. Perfect middle ground, tight bottom, woody mids and not agressive top end. I can tell You it was long run to get Bogner cab and Scumbacks in EU.
Has Friedman cabs glued front baffle like Bogners ?

And yeah....VHT/Fryette cabs are awesome but those P50E's kind of suck (especially for recording). I grew to hate my Fatbottom 2x12 cab. I still have it but never use it; I should load it with some proper speakers

And yeah....VHT/Fryette cabs are awesome but those P50E's kind of suck (especially for recording). I grew to hate my Fatbottom 2x12 cab. I still have it but never use it; I should load it with some proper speakers
I've had Fat Bottom and Deliverance cabs with p50es. Those speakers, as is the case with everything I've ever played that was made by Eminence, are complete crap. I absolutely hated those cabs because if them. When Fryette started putting Fanes in their cabs, I took a chance because I love my UL and wanted the half-stack to match. Now I have 3 of them and they're definitely my favorite cab. I've been through a lot of cabs including Bogner, Friedman, Diezel USA/German builds - FL and RL, Mesa, Mills Afterburner and traditional sized, scumback, Wizard, Avatar and Marshall.

G7Mh7p7.jpeg

Yeah the Fanes in my SC cab are fucking legit for sure.

I do have an old solid pine Electro-Harmonix 4x12 that came stock with custom 25 watt Emi's made specifically for that cab and those actually sound fantastic - they don't have the typical smooth top end that most Emis seem to have. Very Celestion-like.

And of course you can't buy them separately from the cab :LOL:

I Have 1 cab a Marshall 1960BHW and I'm going to sell it to get a Mesa, Bogner, Friedman or Orange cab with V 30's

A 15 year old Mesa 4x12 standard and a 15 year old Avatar vintage 4x12, both sound awesome in different ways. The Avatar cab is a bit tighter but the Mesa cab is bigger sounding for sure.

I have a '93 Mesa OS, older 8-ohm rearloaded Bogner UberKab, and an '82 1960a with G12-65s.

The 1960 gets the most use, since I prefer it with Marshall-type amps. Sounds good with 5150-type amps too.

The Mesa OS does it's thing and I enjoy it sometimes but sometimes it's just not what I want.

The Uberkab is sorta a nice middle ground. Does well with vintage-ish amps as well as the more modern ones. Just wish it was a slant cab. I really don't like straights.
What don't you like about straight cabs?? Is it the look? cause I find they sound better than slants.

I usually use Marshall 1960A. I have a stock '84 with T75s, a '78 Checker with a mix of 2 early 70s Greenbacks and 2 '78 Blackbacks (all M25-75hz), and a 90s 1960A Vintage loaded with a mix of 70s Creambacks. The Creamback cab is my favorite.

What don't you like about straight cabs?? Is it the look? cause I find they sound better than slants.

They blow all the treble past your knees, which makes it very hard to hear what's really coming off the cab. Treble is much more directional than bass frequencies (look at the graphs that come with studio monitors to get in idea of what I mean.)

More than a few degrees to the side, the treble content falls off a cliff. So a straight cab may sound warmer/thicker to the guitar player standing near it, but to someone further way (and thus more in line with the drivers) or to someone standing lower than the stage floor so their head is more inline with the speakers, the sound is much brighter than what the guitar player hears.

So if the guitarist (me) is trying to dial in the amp, I've likely made it too bright and shrill for anyone else if I'm using a straight cab.

IME.

I bought a brand new custom unloaded 4x12 cab from guitar cabinets direct for $479 shipped. The quality was great

They blow all the treble past your knees, which makes it very hard to hear what's really coming off the cab. Treble is much more directional than bass frequencies (look at the graphs that come with studio monitors to get in idea of what I mean.)

More than a few degrees to the side, the treble content falls off a cliff. So a straight cab may sound warmer/thicker to the guitar player standing near it, but to someone further way (and thus more in line with the drivers) or to someone standing lower than the stage floor so their head is more inline with the speakers, the sound is much brighter than what the guitar player hears.

So if the guitarist (me) is trying to dial in the amp, I've likely made it too bright and shrill for anyone else if I'm using a straight cab.

IME.
I see what you mean, but when i'm dialing in my amps I always stand at a bunch of angles including right infront to make sure it sounds good everywhere in the room, especially if i'm doing a show. I've got a Avatar cab that has a slanted front baffle, so it's kinda the best of both worlds in that it directs the sound upwards a bit but has the big sound of a straight cab.

Back