Help me buy my next amp - Wizard/Diezel/Friedman

I am going to do my personal best at describing these two adjectives, based on my own experience with countless amps and sounds etc. Each to their own ears and description ofcourse, tomato = Tomah-to.

"Chewy", to me that is when the amp has this very slight kind of sag in the feel, not too stiff, so the mid frequency seems to have a touch of added thickness to the sound, so much so that it sounds like it is bigger due to the sag. Play a bogner 101 B on blue channel for a great example.

"Hairy", to me that is when the amp gain structure has this "hair" on notes, searing gain that is like a controlled explosion. The "hair" on your chords or power chording, is the little bit of grainy sizzle you hear or "grind". It is not smooth or raw, but a perfect combination of the two. Mesa mark series are great examples imo as well as the Wizard amps.
Well done, sir. Now tell me about greasy. This is my favorite descriptor..lmao

Well done, sir. Now tell me about greasy. This is my favorite descriptor..lmao
LOL, Oh god.. ok here goes...

Greasy: Slick, fluid, legato inspiring tone that makes you feel like Super Mario once he eats a mushroom. *sound effect of mushroom growth* You suddenly are two times as confident in your playing, and slide up and down the neck like nobody's business.

There is a specific saturation point where greasy is "engaged", I find it is when you alternate pick high upper frets and you hear the notes individually with almost like a thick little droplet of water on each note, so it is greasy and "easier" to play.

How'd I do Smash ?

I feel that with all of this Recto, Badlander talk another option for the OP could be a PRS Archon. The 100 watt specifically is a monster of an amp and has more than enough low end, probably sits between the MW and BL. Fantastic clean channel if needed and has that Recto vibe going on while being tighter and not having the fizz to dial out. Just another option since I’m sure he needs one haha

So…. The list looks like this now:

-Wizard MTL MKII (still in the lead for me, I haven’t heard anything quite like it)

-Wizard MCII
-Naylor (no idea which one)
-Badlander
-Multi Watt

-Also: Diezel VHX (debating selling my VH4 for this to have as a solution to having the VH4 + Herbert MkIII and all the other Diezel Amps as well as great on board effects for giggling and DI.)

Yep, totally simplified the process by posting here. Why am I not surprised 😂

I'm finally getting the chance to jam on a Wizard (MCII) this weekend and I'm stoked about it :D

I kinda hope I don't like it because I don't wanna end up having to buy a 5 thousand dollar amp :LOL:

That actually reminds me... I forgot to post this. A buddy of mine in town has a Wizard MCII.

Will A-B'ing MCII vs the VH4 through my V30 Diezel Rear Loaded cab help with my decision to on buying a MTL (keeping in mind the MTL has lower mids) and the MCII has higher mids? Or are they not close enough?

So…. The list looks like this now:

-Wizard MTL MKII (still in the lead for me, I haven’t heard anything quite like it)

-Wizard MCII
-Naylor (no idea which one)
-Badlander
-Multi Watt

-Also: Diezel VHX (debating selling my VH4 for this to have as a solution to having the VH4 + Herbert MkIII and all the other Diezel Amps as well as great on board effects for giggling and DI.)

Yep, totally simplified the process by posting here. Why am I not surprised 😂
That’s a solid list. I’d just recommend an earlier 2 channel recto if you can find one over the multi watts. As for Naylor, according to their website, all their models have the same core tone, just different wattage and features for the different models

That actually reminds me... I forgot to post this. A buddy of mine in town has a Wizard MCII.

Will A-B'ing MCII vs the VH4 through my V30 Diezel Rear Loaded cab help with my decision to on buying a MTL (keeping in mind the MTL has lower mids) and the MCII has higher mids? Or are they not close enough?
Keep in mind the cab you use will also favor certain amps while not sounding that great with others. My 2 Wizards hated my Mesa V30 cab...while they sounded killer through my Marshall cabs with Greenbacks and G12 65s. Maybe the Diezel cab will be ok with the Wizard?

That’s a solid list. I’d just recommend an earlier 2 channel recto if you can find one over the multi watts. As for Naylor, according to their website, all their models have the same core tone, just different wattage and features for the different models

So, I owned a Dual Rectifier back in the day. I was not a huge fan of that amp after discovering the Diezel VH4. Sold the Dual Rectifier and Mesa Cab and never looked back after I got the Diezel stack. But I am open to them, my experience has been very meh with Mesas though.

What's your opinion on the Wizard MTL since it looks like you own one? I'm curious since you seem to be recommending the Naylor, Badlander, or an earlier Dual Rec.

So, I owned a Dual Rectifier back in the day. I was not a huge fan of that amp after discovering the Diezel VH4. Sold the Dual Rectifier and Mesa Cab and never looked back after I got the Diezel stack. But I am open to them, my experience has been very meh with Mesas though.

What's your opinion on the Wizard MTL since it looks like you own one? I'm curious since you seem to be recommending the Naylor, Badlander, or an earlier Dual Rec.
Yes, I own all 4 of those amps (Wizard MTL, Naylor, Badlander, and Triple Rev F/C). They are all great, just different flavors. The Naylor would be my favorite of those 4 if I could only pick one. The MTL has the hardest punch and rock solid quality to the notes and very open and clear sounding, but a bit dry and hollow sounding in the mids. It doesn’t quite growl like a Marshall, more like a Hiwatt/Marshall hybrid. I’d recommend the amp mostly most rhythmical type stuff rather than lead or melodic single note stuff. Still a really awesome amp though and at volume it’s hard not be very impressed by it due to its its punch and way of moving air. The Naylor isn’t super far behind what the Wizard excels at, every bit as good clarity imo, but more warmth, growl, easier to play/nicer feel. It’s what the Friedman’s and Bogner’s should’ve been imo. Badlander will be the most modern sounding one, tightest one, most growl, also very nice feel, but not as organic or warm sounding as the other options. And those early Recto’s will have the most low mids, that wall of sound, very fat, but also with that looser recto sag

Im running my MTL through a rear loaded Bogner Uberkab loaded with Scumback M75's. Sounds outstanding ! To me at least. Lol.

I hated the Alnico Creams with my Wizards. Too warm and smooth. I've tried many different speakers with my amps and right now I have 3 Wizard cabs loaded with Creamback H75/V30 combo and one loaded with Fane F70s .

That's because you didn't use the special magical RizzerdaJizzer spell:

4-DC747-A5-0253-4-FCE-8323-0-CB8-BCB47-CCE.gif

Alnico Creams (and pretty much any Alnico speaker for that matter) SUCK ASS for metal. The people using them are the same people using their AC-30 TopBoost for metal... talking about how "mean" they sound.

tenor.gif

Back