Larry DINO JM802 Video

Finally someone faithfully captured this unmistakable tone in a home recording. Eddy, can you please elaborate on the mic setup? I noticed in the YT description two mics were used, an SM 57 and a ribbon mic. What was the blend and mic proximity of each? I’m assuming the 57 was close to the grill but I’m thinking the ribbon may have been further back to capture some room ambience. Thanks!

Finally someone faithfully captured this unmistakable tone in a home recording. Eddy, can you please elaborate on the mic setup? I noticed in the YT description two mics were used, an SM 57 and a ribbon mic. What was the blend and mic proximity of each? I’m assuming the 57 was close to the grill but I’m thinking the ribbon may have been further back to capture some room ambience. Thanks!
Thanks!

I probably had about 60/40 SM57 to VR1. They were both right up to the grill, the VR1 right in the middle and the 57 straight, almost where the dust cap meets the cone, but slightly more towards the cone.

Anytime :giggle:

In my very early designs I've choosen a 10µF for the filtering of the input tube.
The idea behind was to obtain some more sag, when using high output PU's
But just a year or two later I've switched to 22µF in this spot, to get the amp still tighter and quicker in response.

In my early days first I've experimented with CTS pots, where the LOG/AUD taper was 20% to 25% resistance at half turn and I was very pleased with the sensitivity result.
Then I've placed a custom order at Piher/Portugal of 250 pcs. each value, but as I've got the pots it turned out, that their LOG just has been 10% to 12% resistance at half turn. Beginner's issues and my bad, that I haven't cleared this before placing my order.
In 1994 I've switched to Alpha pots in all my builds & rebuilds and this prob was solved since then.
Just a year later I've decided to use LIN tapers for the Middle & Treble controls.
As for the Presence control I've kept the LOG taper, although a REV LOG taper as already before with the Piher's.

In 1996 at a time, as the DINO circuit already was updated 5 times I've also changed the circuit of the power stage.
Since then the Presence control again is a LOG taper, but the Reactance control became a REV LOG taper.

Btw. no prob on my side, to disclose several more of my 'secrets', just feel free 😉

Awesome you keep such good records!!

The amp sounds phenomenal. It really does and I want to take nothing from it. Hearing that sort of snarling tone, I was not surprised to see that he was using a Marshall 1960V cab. To me, those Marshall-label G12 Vintage speakers have that sort of sound. Again, I'm at all trying to imply that it sounds good only because of the cab, but it's obviously part of what we're hearing.

Larry's amps sound great through ALL celestion speakers IME.

Jon Schaffer famously uses old T75s.

I prefer older UK V30s and scumbacks, but honestly it would sound that great through any well made celestion; I've tested it thoroughly and can confirm.

(Edit: I think that's part of the magic of his designs, ANY celestion speaker you hook up sounds monstrous🤷‍♂️)

It is a great sounding amp.... Is it 6,000 to 10,000 bucks worth.... beauty is in the eye of the beholder.......................................................:p:yes:
On my notes from 1995 where the DINO JM 802 after several updates has been renamed to DINO JM 832 it says, the costs of a rebuild were DM 3,500 (German Marks) at that time, what's been about US$1,800 at that time. Since I've rebuilt this amp already in 1991 the costs have been even less, presumably DM 2,800 (~ US$1,450)
Scan_20210710_143329.png

Larry's amps sound great through ALL celestion speakers IME.

Jon Schaffer famously uses old T75s.

I prefer older UK V30s and scumbacks, but honestly it would sound that great through any well made celestion; I've tested it thoroughly and can confirm.

(Edit: I think that's part of the magic of his designs, ANY celestion speaker you hook up sounds monstrous🤷‍♂️)
It sounds fucking savage through those G12Ms, that's for sure.

Do you mind posting a liink to one of those pulling that off?
I’m listening on my phone through a Bluetooth speaker so maybe I’m missing something. As I said, to my ears it doesn’t sound like anything special. I did however spend most of the day playing a Makoplex, Monomyth Origin and a few other amps at gig volume so my ears are fatigued.

Last edited:
I've been saying this since I've got my Dino 962.
These amps have something going on that I could never hear with other high gain amps.
The note separation and overall clarity is just unbeatable.
The low end punch on the palm muting notes is also insane.
Another characteristic of them is the gain pot... once you have gain enough to chug, you'll be in chug heaven. And if you keep increasing the gain knob, you'll get more gain and saturation, but you will not loose clarity in the notes or punch in the palm muting chugs... you'll just add more saturation around them.
I really wish all the ones who liked Eddy's video could have the chance to play the updated 962 or the PMM. Believe me, it's even better than the JM802!

I've been saying this since I've got my Dino 962.
These amps have something going on that I could never hear with other high gain amps.
The note separation and overall clarity is just unbeatable.
The low end punch on the palm muting notes is also insane.
Another characteristic of them is the gain pot... once you have gain enough to chug, you'll be in chug heaven. And if you keep increasing the gain knob, you'll get more gain and saturation, but you will not loose clarity in the notes or punch in the palm muting chugs... you'll just add more saturation around them.
I really wish all the ones who liked Eddy's video could have the chance to play the updated 962 or the PMM. Believe me, it's even better than the JM802!
I would like to play a Larry. Someone needs to bring one to the austin area. I guess i could go to the west coast and hang out with Dan Travis..

I would like to play a Larry. Someone needs to bring one to the austin area. I guess i could go to the west coast and hang out with Dan Travis..
If you can make it over, anyone who wants to try it is welcome to. I think @SBlue is closer to you though.

For those who have played both, how would a Dino compare to the MCII?
Theyre both amazing but in very different ways. IMO a wizard is a classic Marshall mixed with the dynamics, punch of a hiwatt - big kerrang. It's a fantastic sounding amp, and if my budget was unlimited I would own one.

Larry's stuff is way different than anything out there, it has the Marshall style dna but has the harmonic overload of a cranked Trainwreck and is as tight as an amps low end can BE and remain musical. A Plexi, a rectifier, a splawn, they all have their own distinctive sounds, but Larry's distinctive sound is SO distinct, the first time you play it, it can be discombobulating.

I’m listening on my phone through a Bluetooth speaker so maybe I’m missing something. As I said, to my ears it doesn’t sound like anything special. I did however spend most of the day playing a Makoplex, Monomyth Origin and a few other amps at gig volume so my ears are fatigued.
Either one of those builders would tell you Larry is like the Monét of building high gain amplifiers.

Your ears are definitely fatigued LOL.
I have not played a Larry. Based on this clip, I know this type of tone. It's a cleaner gain where the notes have a very specific definition and quality to them(not Hifi). I have had at least one amp that has this quality, but not to the extent the Larry has based on the clip posted. I do not know what the amp feels like to play, as a clip cannot portray that. For me, it is very desirable tone and I do want a Larry. I do not wait well so the lead time is a no go.

Last edited:
Back