KSR vs REVV Vs OMEGA

JR-OZ

Question for you guys, I love my Omega Obsidian I hate my Revv MKIII with a passion lol Not my thing. Will I like a KSR ?

Anyone on the know lets hear it.. Thanks boys

By the way I have a barron and tons of other amps so if the ksr reminds you of anything I Would appreciate the comparison thanks again

✌️

I love my Omega Granophyre and have loved the KSR's I've owned in the past. I have not played a REVV yet but a lot of guys seem to love them.

I bought and have since returned a Revv Generator 120 MkIII. Unless you get a chance to try one in person to see if you vibe with it, I would advise everyone to stay away from Revv. It has a lot of features, but it's lacking in tone. It doesn't sound like most amps; doesn't feel "alive". Kind of dull.

Here's my honest review of it:
  • Clean channel (Blue) is not the best clean I have heard, but it's the best channel on the amp IMO
  • Crunch (Green) is like a pushed 5150 sound. Sort of fuzz-ish, like it's on the verge of clipping. Can get gainy.
  • Lead 1 (Purple) is similar to a 5150 III blue/red channel. Tighter, very compressed type of gain. Doesn't sound all that amazing.
  • Lead 2 (Red) is Recto/Uber inspired, but doesn't sound like or as good as either of the amps it's copying. More compression, darker than Lead 1. Neither lead channels thump you in the chest like some other amps do.
The amp just sounds very tame and neutral overall. The salesman at the store I got it from told me he felt the same way. I like the feature set on the amp and the packaging/goodies are great. Not worth the tradeoff in tone though.

I've heard great things about KSR. I got their compact tube power amp (the PA50) recently and it sounds fantastic with my FM3, so I can recommend that wholeheartedly. I also found a decent deal on a 2014 Colossus on Reverb that I'm planning to get sent to Kyle for upgrades. I'll be surprised if I end up not liking it.

I bought and have since returned a Revv Generator 120 MkIII. Unless you get a chance to try one in person to see if you vibe with it, I would advise everyone to stay away from Revv. It has a lot of features, but it's lacking in tone. It doesn't sound like most amps; doesn't feel "alive". Kind of dull.

• Clean channel (Blue) is not the best clean I have heard, but it's the best channel on the amp IMO
  • Crunch (Green) is like a pushed 5150 sound. Sort of fuzz-ish, like it's on the verge of clipping. Can get gainy.
  • Lead 1 (Purple) is similar to a 5150 III blue/red channel. Tighter, very compressed type of gain. Doesn't sound all that amazing.
  • Lead 2 (Red) is Recto/Uber inspired, but doesn't sound like or as good as either of the amps it's copying. More compression, darker than Lead 1. Neither lead channels thump you in the chest like some other amps do.
The amp just sounds very tame and neutral overall. The salesman at the store I got it from told me he felt the same way. I like the feature set on the amp and the packaging/goodies are great. Not worth the tradeoff in tone though.

I've heard great things about KSR. I got their compact tube power amp (the PA50) recently and it sounds fantastic with my FM3, so I can recommend that wholeheartedly. I also found a decent deal on a 2014 Colossus on Reverb that I'm planning to get sent to Kyle for upgrades. I'll be surprised if I end up not liking it.
just curious, how much was the guy charging for his 2014 colossus? I had mine sent in for Kyle to do the upgrades and they are def worthwhile. Mine is a 2014 as well

I've owned an Omega Granophyre, KSR Gemini and a Revv 100p ( and a few Barons). Liked the first two and the Barons, didn't like the Revv much at all. The Gemini was a cool amp. It has a mode that will get you that tighter/dry type of tone that you get from the Omega....that's pretty much where I lived.

I have spent some time with the Revv and would have to agree with your opinion of this amp.

Im surprised about all the disappointment with Revvs. Ive had the 100p mk2 and mk3. They have a polished tone with smooth high end, a little bit bright but they cut well. Not as organic as some other amps but not as sterile as Engls IMO. I had a KSR Gemini and tried my budys colossus. I prefer Revv over KSR. I would like to try an omega but there doesnt seem to be alot of them out there.

Played the original Colossus….extremely versatile. I would describe it in the Mesa camp sound wise. Can get super tight like a Mark series or big and fat like a recto. I had some decent clips that I lost when tone finder went dead. Kyle is a great guy and builds great stuff.

I got the Gemini right when he switched from Rhodes to KSR.
Wanted a REVV when they first showed up,but I showed remarkable restraint and held off.
But it was much harder to not throw down for the Omega when they popped up.
Would love to try both brands,but not enough to dig into savings or bang a credit card.
I can't believe it,but I think I am done.
Collecting liquor is so much cheaper than amps.

Love my KSR Juno. It does Fender cleans on Channel 1, gritty blues to hot-rodded Marshall tones on Channel 2, and all the high gain mayhem you could ever need on Channel 3. And if you combine it with the KSR Eros boost pedal, there's nothing it can't do. I'm seriously impressed by how much more the Juno can do with the Eros sculpting the front end. I've owned various Peters amps (Gryphon, Hydra and GNL), an MI Audio, a Landry LS50G3, and a Driftwood Mini Nightmare. The KSR Juno is the keeper for me.

Attachments

• 20210719_052612.jpg
    20210719_052612.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 112
I have not owned a revv. I owned a KSR Artemis and currently own an Omega Granophyre. I absolutely love my Granophyre. I didn’t bond with my Artemis. It sounded fairly scooped and really reminded me of a Mesa recto on most of the modes (maybe some mark influence in one of them but it wasn’t quite the same). I’m not adverse to the Mesa sound (I have 2 Mark series amps) but It wasn’t what I was looking for. Build quality was top notch. Love the Omega.

I have spent some time with the Revv and would have to agree with your opinion of this amp.
I also agree. It’s a good amp, but not great. Nice features, but just left me kinda flat, wanting more. My old Mesas devoured it. I had a KSR Ares and my buddy has a Colossus, and those amps are both killers. KSR > Revv

agree we are tracking an album shot it out against 15 amps it was the worst lol i sent it back thinking it was broken lol and changed tubes.

I owned a Colossus for about 6 years, currently have a Juno and briefly owned a Revv 100R. The Revv I returned after about 2 weeks. Basically what others have said in here. If you like Engls there's a chance you like Revv, they don't sound the same but they have similar characteristics. Tight, polished, compressed.

To me the Revv sounded like they took a KSR and ENGL and smashed them together. That KSR kind of "modern American" tone but with the overly tight, overly compressed characteristics of an ENGL.

i miss my baron amps, or the company in general

ksr is the shit, omegas i have no idea, but seem overpriced? idk and revv i could not care less about

Back