Motor City Pickups new models?

endofall

Well, I figured it was time for a thread on any information about what Wade has going on. I’m looking for a 2nd Degree Black belt that’s a little hotter than stock. Anyways, you guys have any info?

Yeah his communication is worse than it used to be which is why I turned to the forum to see if there was any knew news. It’s a shame. He honestly makes some incredible pickups

finally got my afwayu set. i had placed an order months ago. sent him a couple of e-mails. he responded to the third one telling me that he never received any other e-mail from me. i also asked if he had gotten the order because i never got a confirmation of payment or any kind of e-mail confirmation. he said something about paypal giving me a receipt when it ships. that never happened either. in any case, love the pickups. lol.

I have two Blackbelt bridge pickups on their way, and a Woodward single coil neck pickup.

Amazing stuff

I'd really like to know if he could wind a Dirty Fingers for me.

My favorite higher output pickup is the Haussel "Hot" set but good luck getting them. I tried his other offerings and was not impressed but that Hot set is awesome. 17K on the bridge and 15 on the neck. Fantastic mids and complexity. Great pickup. Next would be Wagners. I have Tone specific, Wizards, etc.

Are you sure you want the least compression and most dynamic because that would cross off the high output/hi DC pickups. Either way Tone Specific’s check all those boxes better than anything I’ve tried and his highoutput set I have (not yet released to the public) is by the most articulate, dynamic, not compressed high output metal pickup I’ve tried. Jim Wagner would probably be 2nd best I’ve tried in all those areas (whether you go with his low or high output sets), but honestly a distant 2nd imo
I forgot to put in there Not high output..
I have a theory that lower output pups produce the sound of the instrument more faithfully..
Right now I'm rolling a Seymour Duncan Pegasus 7-string advertised at 14.9K with an Alnico 5 Mag..
I like it pretty good.
Let the amp do the compression..

I forgot to put in there Not high output..
I have a theory that lower output pups produce the sound of the instrument more faithfully..
Right now I'm rolling a Seymour Duncan Pegasus 7-string advertised at 14.9K with an Alnico 5 Mag..
I like it pretty good.
Let the amp do the compression..
Yes I agree entirely if the goal is to hear the inherent voice of the guitar then lower output pickups are the way to go. They also have more dynamics and much more nuance and potential for being an expressive player. Both styles of pickups have their place. To me I consider pickups under 10K to be lower output, but DC isn't everything. I guess 9-10K would be like a hotter or overwound PAF in general or maybe upper 8K range. Not entirely sure where the cut off is

I find higher output pickups more forgiving in that they sound much more similar in most guitars, while the lower output paf styles can sound very different in each guitar and need the right fit for them. The highoutput Tone Specific is the one exception I've found. It's hot and metal voiced yet even more picky and transparent about how it sounds in each guitar than most lower output pickups I've had

Back more on topic to the thread, if you (OP) are unable to get MCP's just get Jim Wagner's or Arcane's instead or Tone Specific's if that's within your budget. I liked MCP's, but I liked those other 2 even more and Wagner's I often got delivered to me in less than a week and he's always available to talk and a very nice guy. The only pickups I personally use these days are Tone Specific's and some vintage pickups (P90's and pre-cbs tele's)

Last edited:
Check out Pariah Pickups too. He's got some great stuff. I have a 70s Destruction in my Explorer, which is a Super Distortion copy that sounds like the vintage ones. Pete Thorn tested a couple of his Pasadena series and they sounded great too

Pariah Pickups Website

Back