Weird reverb seller

mooncobra

So, earlier I was on reverb and I inquired about a guitar and I asked about the best price they could do.

They responded on reverb saying that their best price is what is currently listed.

About an hour later, they TEXT ME. I didn’t give them my phone number. They tell me they can do a better price if I go through their shop. I wonder how they got my number?

Strange.

I’d ask how they got your number.

Either go through reverb or don’t. If you don’t though, you better use PayPal 3% protection and just eat the fed taxes come tax time.

F dat.
Got fast food @ new chicken place lastnite. Brand new. 1st time there.
Chick at the drive thru window had my credit card almost 5 minutes after i handed it to her.
Instead of swiping it & handing it right back she took it & disappeared for almost 5 minutes.
Then acted like nothing happened when i demanded it back.
I pulled over and went inside, got the manager & busted her ass.
Not once did the drive thru employee dispute my accusations, nor did any employees.
Also nobody in the store said anything like "she wouldn't do that".
Manager said to the scammer "im done with you".
Called my wife & reported the cards stolen.
Things are shitty all over.

Last edited:
F dat.
Chick at the drive thru window had my credit card almost 5 minutes after i handed it to her.
Instead of swiping it & handing it right back she took it & disappeared for almost 5 minutes.
Not once did the drive thru employee dispute my accusations, nor did any employees.

Good god that's insane.

Weird how he got your number. Maybe you reverb name is linked to a name or a shop or your Facebook?

Off reverb is normal. Saves you tax and him the fees. If he is a shop, that’s even better for the both of you. I’d say no scam at all.

Bro! Block them digits, that's nutty.

Also, Samhain, that's super lame dude. Glad you got it sorted immediately.

I’d also expect more of this stuff. On reverb. eBay. And here. In 2022 any credit card transaction over $600 or $600 total in the account will trigger a 1099k. That goes to the irs and you will have to pay tax on that.

So you sell a les Paul for 2k. Someone uses PayPal regular with their credit card. Then you get a 1099k and the irs thinks you have 2000 in income. It’s up to you to prove you actually paid 1800 and it’s only 200 of income OR you may have paid 3k and lost money.

Remember to keep receipts and also the tax you paid and the shipping fees. This will count towards your cost in the item.

What might also get really weird and bad is now this goes to the irs but if states get involved they will track you down for collecting sales tax per the state sold and then reporting and paying it. So now personal transactions are taxed on both sides. They will tell you these have always been the rules.

So cash transactions, certified checks, or regular checks is where we are all going to end up. But don’t forget that the irs wants to track your bank account on transactions over $600 which is now changed to maybe $10,000 but that’s cumulative. Money in and out. So basically everyone.

F dat.

This is why you always use credit cards and not debit cards for purchases. If you credit card is hacked, the company stops it and instantly takes those charges to dispute and you don’t have to pay. Then they send a new card.

If your debit card is hacked your money is out of your checking account and you are now fighting to get that credit back but out the money until it happens in dispute. Plus they can maybe get to an atm.

This is why you always use credit cards and not debit cards for purchases. If you credit card is hacked, the company stops it and instantly takes those charges to dispute and you don’t have to pay. Then they send a new card.

If your debit card is hacked your money is out of your checking account and you are now fighting to get that credit back but out the money until it happens in dispute. Plus they can maybe get to an atm.
It WAS a credit card. What happened was un-acceptable and criminal.
Wife was flying out of town & we needed something quick to eat before going to the airport.
Food prices have gone up 40% most places we normally don't even go out to eat anymore.
Just more stress & hassle not needed.
Now its going to take 7 to 10 days to get new cards on that account which means we gotta shuffle auto debits and other spending onto other CC.
Chick need to be in jail and they were banking on the fact that it was Friday & banks don't catch up on all CC transactions til Monday or after.
I was in the Military at age 17 traveling the world. Almost 60 now.
Nobody out-hustles me.
If i was a real dick id show back up with the cops but i feel for the Manager.
And also thought of posting online about it but i am not.
But im never going back.
They got my name, bank and God knows what else.
Upside is cards are destroyed with no damage so far and its good to switch card numbers periodically anyway.

Last edited:

They won't be able to pull money with a debit card unless they know the PIN. But, not impossible.

My wife is working out of state for a short time...she had her card info (Debit) stolen. They used it over 3 days and charged 3 separate $600 charges to Fanduel.com.....over last weekend. So, come Monday morning we called the bank and reported this and by Wednesday all funds were returned. Plus, which I find hilarious, they won 600 in betting so that also was added to our account.
All in all we ended up making a nice profit on the deal.
But from now on until she's done her new card (old one obviously canceled) isn't to be used...cash only.

You must have your number listed somewhere in your account, (if you have one). If it was a dealer, they have access to more info than private sellers. Often times, they'll send you offers, as they know who's watching their items. It's happened to me several times, (though never through text). Legit dealers will often times lead you to their website to save tax. I've bought several items that way. Better deal, and tax free, fuck yeah, I'm in.

It's no scam, I can assure you.

Everyone who uses PayPal non-gift had better beware that you’ll need to claim your purchases this year on a 1099k that PayPal will generate, or you could be liable. State taxes are different.

In 2022 it will be on any purchase online and they will have the money and the means to go after the small fish. It’s Obama era all over again.

I don’t think this is true. PayPal reports over 20k Total and or 200 transactions. It’s been like this for years now. That changes next year to $600.

Back