Upgrading my LP classic

ClintN667

Hey guys, I'm swapping out the tuners on my Gibson LP classic(ebony) and was wondering what are some worthwhile upgrades? A friend said he swapped his bridge out for an ABM 2504 but I'm not sold on that one.

I also want to look at some new pickups. I like the bridge pickup ok but I think I could really use something a bit hotter. I play stuff from classic rock to death metal so preferably something that can accommodate a range(I don't do cleans much at all so no worries there). The neck pickup I could definitely use an upgrade. I like the Sentient pickup a lot and the black winter neck is ok but not sure past those.

Also I've read some forums where people mentioned replacing the pots and switches? Is that something that is worth it or just nit picking?

What year is it?
Replacing pots, caps and pickups made a huge difference in my 02 Classic.
Nothing else was needed, imo. It hung with any other LP, and sometimes I kick myself in the ass for selling it.

Last edited:
When I swap tuners on a Les Paul, I usually slap a set of Grovers in. I wouldn't worry about the bridge unless it is starting to cave in. A light weight tail piece maybe worth a look if you think the guitar is congested in the top end. Change out the 300k pots. They kill your tone. As far as pickups go... Duncan Custom with a 59n will get you where you want to go. I also like the Aldrich set and the Rebel Yell set.

When I swap tuners on a Les Paul, I usually slap a set of Grovers in. I wouldn't worry about the bridge unless it is starting to cave in. A light weight tail piece maybe worth a look if you think the guitar is congested in the top end. Change out the 300k pots. They kill your tone. As far as pickups go... Duncan Custom with a 59n will get you where you want to go. I also like the Aldrich set and the Rebel Yell set.
Yeah I was going with the Grover 502c tuners. Sounds like the Aldrich is a favorite. I will check them out!

I use graph tech tuners on both my LP's and find them to be the best both in terms of feel and staying in tune. Try 500k pots and your choice of cap before choosing a pickup as both will wake the gutiar up quite a bit.

Careful with some types of locking tuners, they add some weight to the headstock which you might not like.
Yeah, the sperzels are heavy but I swear the sound improved some how. And the guitar stays in tune amazingly well. Worth the money.

Faber Locking Bridge and Stoptail improved my Classic big time. I went a little crazy with Creamtone parts, RS Guitar Works prewire kit, BKP Mules and Grover Milk Bottles. Call me crazy but I don't regret it.

thumbnail.jpeg

Grover Locking Tuners work Great. I have them on a Les Paul Studio & a Jackson Soloist i got at a pawn shop recently for a killer deal.
I second this. I have Grover locking Tuners on my Jackson T-1000 & they work great. I had them on a LP Studio as well but i had to sell that guitar when funds got tight.

Back