Payment options ??

MYLILSS

what other payment options if any are out there aside from PayPal ? Just looking for ways around PayPal’s wonky set of rules. One day I have a 1500 dollar transaction come through free and clear and then someone sends 200 the next and a hold is placed on it 😂😂😂. I get the safety net type of stuff but there doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason as to what who or why they do what they do. Hell, is there even another option ?

(Also. This is just more of a rant than anything, because their rules for just doesn’t seem to make a lick of sense)

Zelle or Venmo where the latter is owned by PayPal.

Zelle is just like cash and instant.

If they want the protection I have them pay with PayPal as a vender and then the money is held on my end until it’s received in shipping and also marked as described.

Depends on the comfort of the buyer and who they are.

I don't know. As a buyer, if someone requests that I use anything else other than PayPal, it's a hard no from me. There's not much that offers enough protection to trust transactions with internet strangers.

This is pretty much the consensus.... I wish we had more competition in this platform, maybe one day

I don't know. As a buyer, if someone requests that I use anything else other than PayPal, it's a hard no from me. There's not much that offers enough protection to trust transactions with internet strangers.
And that’s exactly why I asked because I get the comfort level with PayPal and the protection, it’s just that their rules seem to be hit and miss depending on how they are feeling that day. I guess the short of it is like with reverb they generally hold everything till the buyer receives it so you know what you are getting, but with PayPal it’s a crapshoot, so I was just curious if that’s still the preferred way to pay or if everyone was kinda moving off to a different method.

Maybe I’m just old but I have no problem sending money via bank wire or USPS money order as long as I know the seller has good feedback and actually talk to them on the phone. This is for anything over, say, $1500. I purchased a guitar from someone on this forum and they thought I was a scammer because I wanted to send payment by USPS. I told them I didn’t care if it took 3 days to clear.... they were just put off like I was up to something. It’s no big deal but kinda funny.

Matt

Maybe I’m just old but I have no problem sending money via bank wire or USPS money order as long as I know the seller has good feedback and actually talk to them on the phone. This is for anything over, say, $1500. I purchased a guitar from someone on this forum and they thought I was a scammer because I wanted to send payment by USPS. I told them I didn’t care if it took 3 days to clear.... they were just put off like I was up to something. It’s no big deal but kinda funny.

Matt
Haha dude ! That is old school ! I remember those good old days. I used to live by the usps money order thing for as long as I could. It’s definitely an oddity these days but if someone is willing to wait the deposit time and all that, I don’t see an issue with it. I can see where someone would be like wtf ?? 🤣

It all depends on the trust level you have with the person, to be fair.
This..and such an important factor of this and other forums, where we all spend time building a good rep which will allow for trust between members when it comes to gear sales/purchases. HUGE Imo.

One I'd add is, be careful with Venmo....if someone is paying you with it, they can claw the money back up to 3 or 4 days after paying...so I'd definitely wait a few days before shipping if you are a seller.
Just FYI.

This..and such an important factor of this and other forums, where we all spend time building a good rep which will allow for trust between members when it comes to gear sales/purchases. HUGE Imo.

One I'd add is, be careful with Venmo....if someone is paying you with it, they can claw the money back up to 3 or 4 days after paying...so I'd definitely wait a few days before shipping if you are a seller.
Just FYI.

Yep, absolutely. I've been really lucky that all my R/T transactions have been with member feedback all-star types that have great reputations for a reason.

But how you do business depends on how well you know the person youre dealing with. There are a ton of R/Ters that i would have no problems doing a high dollar deal with, because i know they are stand up guys.

At this point, I only do cash in person deals. Or on RT, there are members I have no problem sending a money order. I pretty much will only deal on RT at this point. I try not to deal with online payments at all.

I hate supporting PayPal, and it’s affiliates. Same for Facebook/Meta***** My primary “hobby” is shooting Machine Guns. You guys would flip out with the industry standards buying/selling transferables.... 100% payment up front to start the Transfer process... the transfer process is usually 6 months to a year. You have to trust the person your buying from. Most every transaction I have done was Bank Wire, USPS, or Check. The wait doesn’t matter because the transfer time is so long. No payment paper trail is best for a number of reasons

I hate supporting PayPal, and it’s affiliates. Same for Facebook/Meta***** My primary “hobby” is shooting Machine Guns. You guys would flip out with the industry standards buying/selling transferables.... 100% payment up front to start the Transfer process... the transfer process is usually 6 months to a year. You have to trust the person your buying from. Most every transaction I have done was Bank Wire, USPS, or Check. The wait doesn’t matter because the transfer time is so long. No payment paper trail is best for a number of reasons

NFA stuff is pretty strictly regulated and it's not hard to find out whom you're dealing with if you get a bad vibe. IIRC, PayPal can suspend your account for buying anything gun-related through it. Though I've done it countless times, usually through eBay.

Anyway, I'm usually buying from chat boards like this one where it's easy to verify someone's reputation. I'm probably going to buy a $2000 guitar with PayPal Gift in a few days. Never met the guy, but he has a solid reputation on the board where it's listed and he lives near my folks. I took Zelle for payment for a motorcycle I sold on eBay a few years ago. But it was $7500, so it took a three or four transactions over that many days to get me all the money. Once it was all there, I took the cash out, rode the bike to the buyer in San Diego, then drove a rental car to LA, bought another bike with the cash and rode it home.

If you can use a stolen credit or debit card to pay with Venmo, then I can see the card company being able to claw those funds back. But I'm not sure on that.

PayPal definitely needs some competition. I could see Zelle or one of the similar companies expanding services eventually. Reverb has their own Reverb payments to compete but that’s limited to only Reverb and has similar PayPal issues and of course is limited to sales on Reverb.

Back