5150 Iconic

I absolutely hate this. It sounds like diarrhea ass concentrate.

It's hard to believe the 50 watt stealth and this are in the same price range. Let alone everything else you could buy with that money. Fireball 60? A used Laney AOR? A Budda Superdrive? a DSL? Or if you like more restrained gain, an orange AD30 or something?

If you were going to spend 9 bills on an amp please don't make anyone else listen to this at a gig.

I'm telling you guys, everybody should go back and listen to the "official" videos EVH released for their other amps as well. None of them sound great. They also managed to make the 5153 100w EL34 sound like a can of bees and it's nothing like that.

I'm still maintaining that we won't actually know much until we hear the amp in the wild or A/B'd against the classics.

I'm telling you guys, everybody should go back and listen to the "official" videos EVH released for their other amps as well. None of them sound great. They also managed to make the 5153 100w EL34 sound like a can of bees and it's nothing like that.

I'm still maintaining that we won't actually know much until we hear the amp in the wild or A/B'd against the classics.
That is certainly a possibility man, but NONE of those EVH demos sounded THIS bad - not even close. It's fizzy like all of that line of amps, yes, but its also honky, has no low end, no note separation/definition, and sounds like a cocked wah into a Katana at certain points.

I simply cannot believe they wouldn't take more care to "pretty up" this amp in the demo/recording of it, because of the interest/hype. Because all you would have to do is mic it up in one of the myriad basic ways (57 plus ribbons/room condensers? 421? 121?) that everyone does to get a basic, quality representation. And there's no way they could have done it right, it sounds too freaking awful - it sounds almost like a lavalier/lapel mic or something, with that strange honk going.

Was excited about the initial hype. Then I was told hat Mr Brown didn’t do the amp design by a person in the know. Then the hybrid amp issue. Then the delay. Needless to say I canceled my order a while back.
What did everyone expect for 899.00.
WOW that would actually explain a lot, if JB didn't actually design it. Because good lord, that doesn't sound like ANYTHING he's done - it's not my thing at all, but the amptweaker preamp pedals sound way, way better than THAT.

That is certainly a possibility man, but NONE of those EVH demos sounded THIS bad - not even close. It's fizzy like all of that line of amps, yes, but its also honky, has no low end, no note separation/definition, and sounds like a cocked wah into a Katana at certain points.

I simply cannot believe they wouldn't take more care to "pretty up" this amp in the demo/recording of it, because of the interest/hype. Because all you would have to do is mic it up in one of the myriad basic ways (57 plus ribbons/room condensers? 421? 121?) that everyone does to get a basic, quality representation. And there's no way they could have done it right, it sounds too freaking awful - it sounds almost like a lavalier/lapel mic or something, with that strange honk going.

Yeah, I'm definitely not saying I liked what I heard in the video, just that it's probably better to reserve judgement. If it gets into the hands of a bunch of youtubers and still sounds bad, then will be the time to bring out the pitchforks and torches. :D

It does seem weird that this is the only video of the amp out so far though, and that EVH didn't also send out a bunch of amps to "influencers" to time the video release with a bunch of other videos as well. Then again maybe they did and we'll catch that wave in a few days / weeks or so. Guess we'll see soon enough. :)

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm definitely not saying I liked what I heard in the video, just that it's probably better to reserve judgement. If it gets into the hands of a bunch of youtubers and still sounds bad, then will be the time to bring out the pitchforks.

It does seem weird that this is the only video of the amp out so far though, and that EVH didn't also send out a bunch of amps to "influencers" to time the video release with a bunch of other videos as well. Then again maybe they did and we'll catch that wave in a few days / weeks or so. Guess we'll see soon enough. :)

I believe that there's a chance youre right about that.

But it's just too hard for me to believe that for the first commericial "big launch video" (WITHOUT all the influencers?!) for this massively hyped product, would be put out without them micing that thing up in a relatively reasonable way.

And if that's any normal type of mic setup? Like if its a normal 57/121 etc or Condenser pair or whatever.....

....then that amp is distilled ingrown hair pus from bigfoot's dick. Even if you did everything horribly wrong, you couldn't make it sound that bad.

I honestly don't hear what people are hearing when they say this clip sounds like shit.

I mean, I get it, it's not the most impressive clip ever recorded, it's kind of overgained, but it sounds like an OK amp mic'd up OK-ish. At least to me. Maybe it's the kinda dated sound they're going for in the clip?

It's not an amp I'm honestly interested in, so maybe there's that.

The distortion sounds like a box of angry bees. I hope that is not a good representation of how it sounds. I won't pass judgment just yet but geez by that first video its not looking good for the Iconic 5150. I have to feel that Eddie (Rest his soul) would not have given his blessing on the finished product.

It isn't hard to figure out what is going on here. Fender/EvH doesn't want to sell this as an alternative to the EVH 5150III. So it isn't going to do a Drop B demo on an 8 string guitar.

It wants to sell this so that you sound *like* Eddie on his isolated tracks.

This is what I expected. A lot of EVH 5150III buyers complained that amp sounded nothing like EvH. They should have got a Plexi.

So this is voiced to sound like EVH. Not a replacement to the 5150III and not even a replacement to Peavey's own 5150/6505 series.

First impression goes a long way....would you buy the amp based on that one clip?
I never right-off an amp based on a bad clip. Most clips are bad, even of great amps (this probably isn't a great amp, but you get my point).

I've never heard a bad amp sound great though, so I ignore the rubbish recordings at the bottom and only concern myself with the top shelf. It works pretty well, as great recordings of average amps are pretty damn rare.

I ordered a 6505 around the time this was announced. I wanted to replace my 5150 I sold for $600 right before Eddie died. I thought I can just buy another one in a couple months.

As far as it being made in China it wasn't like the US Peavey was being built by guys like Dave Friedman, Kyle Rhodes, etc but just underpaid rednecks. I am also pretty sure that if you met the "techs" in Mexico building EVH you wouldn't be that impressed.

This does sound bad though. I am really hoping it's the recording but if you look at the gain knob at some of the sections he has it dimed.

I ordered a 6505 around the time this was announced. I wanted to replace my 5150 I sold for $600 right before Eddie died. I thought I can just buy another one in a couple months.

As far as it being made in China it wasn't like the US Peavey was being built by guys like Dave Friedman, Kyle Rhodes, etc but just underpaid rednecks.
(wipes ass with flannel shirt)

I resemble the redneck remark.

I had to shut the video off after the first couple of riffs.......:aww::bleh:

To be fair I finally went back a really listened to it, it almost sounds like the power section has absolutely no headroom and it is like it is in total saturation the whole time, like when you totally dime a superlead and superbass and it looses it low end definition and gets real wooly and unpleasantly bloated.

That's too bad... this thing could have really been a monster.:doh:

Even the original Randall RG amps have headroom I guess the modern components are just not up to par with the old stuff except that the Matrix power amps have plenty of headroom with modern components so maybe EVH just needs to re-evaluate.

I'll wait for more clips to fully judge it but for EVH to release that video is a little bit of embarrassment for them.

No offense to anyone, but I find it hilarious that this amp seems to be getting bashed to phuck based on a clip. Personally if I haven't played an amp at home with my gear and remaining signal chain, I don't know what said amp is capable or not capable of. Just my humble opinion... it seems so many people think clips are sufficient enough to gauge what an amp sounds & feels like as compared to reality in the room with all the other crucial elements required to getting a tone your happy with.

Back