Cab to pair with 5150 iii 50?

Rusty Riffs

Hey there this is my first post!! So i play in a hair metal cover band and im using the 6l6 head. I have it paired with a mesa vertical slant 2x12 and although it looks badass i feel the cab may be my issue. its really stiff and I at band levels my god its really sharp and brittle. Any cab suggestions?? Speaker change?? Also i dont wanna lug around a 4x12 so hopefully yall got something for me... thank you!

Welcome!

Mesa 2x12 cabs usually use a pair of 16 ohm speakers wired to 8 ohms. 16 ohm V30's are very bright speakers. The Mesa 4x12's use 8 ohm speakers (which are not as bright as 16 ohm speakers) wired to 8 ohms (you can only configure that matched ohms configuration with 4 speakers, with two speaker pairs you have to wire them to either double or half the ohms). You might be better off swapping your 16 ohm V30's for a pair of 8 ohm speakers. However, you still won't get the wallop of a 4x12 cab with a 2x12 cab. Ask me how much money I've had to spend just to figure that out. :D

Something else, the EVH 50w 6L6 has very influential Treble and Presence controls, they do A LOT. Don't be afraid to dial the Treble below noon and the Presence down to 9 oclock or even lower if that's what it takes to get rid of the fizz. A lot of guitar players are hesitant to deviate controls on any amp much from noon. Don't be, the knobs go all the way from zero to max for a reason!

Last edited:
I played an avatar 2x12 this weekend that was as good as any cab I’ve played. It’s a copy of the bogner os212. It had a v30 and greenback in it, and it sounded soooo good!

I have a bogner 212 with creamback and v30 and it sounded just as good as my bogner. Before I decided on my bogner I did a head to head with a few other 212 cabs and the bogner was the clear cut winner. Although, the Friedman I played alongside it had a greenback instead of a creamback so it’s not the same. I have a Friedman ss100 and the bogner cab sounds killer. But, the avatar hung with it no problem and held its own.

Best bang for the buck is avatar. If you find one used, even better. Ordering one new is still a lot less than a new bogner or Friedman cab.

Welcome!

Mesa 2x12 cabs usually use a pair of 16 ohm speakers wired to 8 ohms. 16 ohm V30's are very bright speakers. The Mesa 4x12's use 8 ohm speakers wired to 8 ohms (you can only configure that matched ohms configuration with 4 speakers, with two speaker pairs you have to wire them to either double or half the ohms). You might be better off swapping your 16 ohm V30's for a pair of 8 ohm speakers. However, you still won't get the wallop of a 4x12 cab with a 2x12 cab. Ask me how much money I've had to spend just to figure that out. :D

Something else, the EVH 50w 6L6 has very influential Treble and Presence controls, they do A LOT. Don't be afraid to dial the Treble below noon and the Presence down to 9 oclock or even lower if that's what it takes to get rid of the fizz. A lot of guitar players are hesitant to deviate controls on any amp much from noon. Don't be, the knobs go all the way from zero to max for a reason!
Very good post and true.

To the OP, TheGreatGreen is correct. I’m sure your setup looks damn cool. You can find some videos on YouTube of shootouts between 16 ohm and 8 ohm v30s. As he stated above, took me many many many years to figure out I just don’t like 16ohm speakers. To me they are thinner sounding. You could get a vertical Splawn 2x12. That’s an option. Or replace speakers. Also, the EVH amps work way better with Greenback type speakers. V30s, although a staple in the industry, don’t mesh too well with it.

FWIW, the 5150iii 6L6 is the only amp I've ever had that sounded pretty crappy through my Bogner OS 2x12 w/V30s. I bought 2 EVH 1x12 Cabs and it sounded worlds better. I really don't think the amp likes V30s

My main cabs are 1960B's with greenbacks. When I use the Stealth 50W, the EVH cab just sounds better. Smooths out some of the harsh highs.

Interesting... Lots of info there and thank you all for it. I had a suspicion its the V30's. I really like the combination at lower volume but up at gig levels its undesirable. Ive considered swapping one or both of the speakers for some greenies but im not sure if the cab is tuned to V30's. I like the cab for its construction/size/footprint but maybe swapping the speakers is sacrilege??

If you wanted to try, go the cheaper route first and swap just the top speaker for a greenback, since that's the one projecting closer to your ear. Could also throw a creamback M in it too.

Interesting... Lots of info there and thank you all for it. I had a suspicion its the V30's. I really like the combination at lower volume but up at gig levels its undesirable. Ive considered swapping one or both of the speakers for some greenies but im not sure if the cab is tuned to V30's. I like the cab for its construction/size/footprint but maybe swapping the speakers is sacrilege??

Nothing is sacrilege! Nothing is sacred in making music, all of it is aesthetic. If it sounds good, it is good.

Some people have totally lost the plot and will argue for hours about which exact manufacture you should buy your pickguard screws from if you want a True Vintage Authentic 1963 strat and if you don't get exactly those then YOU DONE RURNT THAT GUIT-FIDDLE, BOY! LORDY YOU JUST MADE THEM TONE GODS SRV AND HENDRIX DONE ROLL OVER IN THEIR GRAVES!

Don't listen to those idiots. Guitars, amps, and cabs are tools. They're there to make the sound you want them to make, not the other way around.

edit: tread more lightly if you consider resale value important, lol, but if A. you don't care about resale value, or B. you can revert whatever you change back to stock, it doesn't matter.

So don't be afraid to try 8 ohm V30's or Greenbacks in that Mesa cab if that's what it takes to get the sound you want. For a personal recommendation, I use EVH 4x12's with my 5150 III's and find that the EVH speakers (they're just relabeled Heritage Greenbacks) to be fantastic for 5150 style circuits. Heritage Greenbacks are basically standard M Greenbacks but they have a slightly smoother high end, which matches really well with a 5150's extended high frequency content I think.

Last edited:
Nothing is sacrilege! Nothing is sacred in making music, all of it is aesthetic. If it sounds good, it is good.

Some people have totally lost the plot and will argue for hours about which exact manufacture you should buy your pickguard screws from if you want a True Vintage Authentic 1963 strat and if you don't get exactly those then YOU DONE RURNT THAT GUIT-FIDDLE, BOY! LORDY YOU JUST MADE THEM TONE GODS SRV AND HENDRIX DONE ROLL OVER IN THEIR GRAVES!

Don't listen to those idiots. Guitars, amps, and cabs are tools. They're there to make the sound you want them to make, not the other way around.

edit: tread more lightly if you consider resale value important, lol, but if A. you don't care about resale value, or B. you can revert whatever you change back to stock, it doesn't matter.

So don't be afraid to try 8 ohm V30's or Greenbacks in that Mesa cab if that's what it takes to get the sound you want. For a personal recommendation, I use EVH 4x12's with my 5150 III's and find that the EVH speakers (they're just relabeled Heritage Greenbacks) to be fantastic for 5150 style circuits. Heritage Greenbacks are basically standard M Greenbacks but they have a slightly smoother high end, which matches really well with a 5150's extended high frequency content I think.
ok i think im gonna try and replace the upper with a GB. Now since i never buy speakers, which greenback? I didnt realize there were so many.

I'd really try to land an EVH 2X12 if you can. My 50 Watt 5150 III really likes its native combo speaker the best. I've tried it with a 4X12 with V30s and the V30s are too much mids for how the amp is voiced. I've reconfigured my 4X12 a few times and the original setup with Greenbacks/V30s wasn't bad and now I have 2 Mesa C90s with V30s in an X pattern and the 5150 III likes that a bit better. Still, I think it sounds best with the speaker it was voiced with.

I'm just going to agree with just about everything said so far.

1.) Welcome to Rig-Talk. Lots of smart motherfuckers here :yes:

2.) I have a Mesa 4x12 that has those 8 ohm Mesa branded V30s. Not bright. Not harsh.

3.) I didn't catch it but if your 212 is new those speakers will sound overly bright/harsh/brittle. They need to break in.

4.) I have a Splawn 212 and can't recommend those enough. Great value for the money. They come in verticals too. I really like the Splawn Small Blocks (higher wattage Greenbacks basically).

5.) Before that 212 cab I had an Avatar 212 cab. Also really good cabs for the money and lots of customization and speaker options.

6.) Also you can look at Warehouse Guitar Speakers, Eminence, and other Celestion flavors. I bet an EVH cab will sound great as well.

7.) Yeah, dial your amp with your ears. I run the treble on my Splawn at '0' and others have confirmed it works for them on all kinds of different amps.

8.) Have fun

ok i think im gonna try and replace the upper with a GB. Now since i never buy speakers, which greenback? I didnt realize there were so many.

I like Heritage M Greenbacks. I'm not sure if they still sell them officially but if not, you can get the EVH signature Celestions which are literally Heritage M Greenbacks but with a Van Halen sticker on the back.

Reactions: PDC
Welcome!

Mesa 2x12 cabs usually use a pair of 16 ohm speakers wired to 8 ohms. 16 ohm V30's are very bright speakers. The Mesa 4x12's use 8 ohm speakers wired to 8 ohms (you can only configure that matched ohms configuration with 4 speakers, with two speaker pairs you have to wire them to either double or half the ohms). You might be better off swapping your 16 ohm V30's for a pair of 8 ohm speakers. However, you still won't get the wallop of a 4x12 cab with a 2x12 cab. Ask me how much money I've had to spend just to figure that out. :D

I have a 2x12 mesa cab from early 2000 and they are not bright speakers. Neither was the other 2x12 mesa cab I had.

And they are awesome cabs. I love them.

Welcome!

That’s a lot of good information!!

I have a 2x12 mesa cab from early 2000 and they are not bright speakers. Neither was the other 2x12 mesa cab I had.

And they are awesome cabs. I love them.

My horizontal Recto 2x12 cab is very bright. Much brighter than my 4x12 cabs. I wonder if your cab being dark is due to the speakers' age and use. If it's 20+ years old and has been regularly used then it's going to be pretty broken in. Have you compared it to Mesa 4x12 cabs?

16 ohm speakers are absolutely quite a bit brighter than 8 ohm speakers, though. That's not an opinion.

For the record i have had my mesa cab for about 7 years now and the speakers are definitely broken in. My last question is...
If i am mixing a 60 watt V30 with a 20 watt speaker do i need to worry about blowing the GB with a 50 watt head? The head is never running beyond 50% since we try to keep stage volume low and use the PA as much as possible..

My horizontal Recto 2x12 cab is very bright. Much brighter than my 4x12 cabs. I wonder if your cab being dark is due to the speakers' age and use. If it's 20+ years old and has been regularly used then it's going to be pretty broken in. Have you compared it to Mesa 4x12 cabs?

16 ohm speakers are absolutely quite a bit brighter than 8 ohm speakers, though. That's not an opinion.
The speakers are from a disered period of Mesa V30's (see nollys vid on that subject). I have had several Mesa 4x12" - the latest I had was from 2006 I believe and that was brighter than the 2x12". And they are light years darker than a normal Chinese V30. They are actually my favorite speaker. Although a 4x12 from same period also sound very good!

Back