New High Gain Amp Discussion

For me, the MCII is it. I would like to try a Hybrid. But the new MK2 MCII with the voicing switch is probably best if all worlds. I’ve had the 50, 100, and now the 150. I prefer the 150 so far.
That's epic. What would you say the tonal range is on the MCII? I'm sure it would cover my needs. 85% of what I play is in standard or half step down tuning. I've always had the idea in my head it isn't as heavy as the MTL but I'm most likely wrong and it could cover just about everything I need it to do.

I can only pimp Kyle and the KSR Gemini from experience. Both Kyle and my Gemini are keepers.
Both the Wizard MTL and Monomyth were on my short list before I stopped buying amps.

I will be the lone idiot who now advises you to consider trying a powered Kemper before buying another amp. Only for the reason of being able to say you at least looked at it. So many great profiles out there to be had for free just from others like my guy Juggernaut who loaded my/our kemper with a shit load of stuff. The used price on a Kemper is reasonable and they are very flip-able. This would also allow you to get a taste(kinda)of many amps you may not see see in the real world.

In reality, my best advice is a Pittbull Ultralead. Fuck everything else. It will either make you a better player and you will giggle hysterically, or you will find out how much you truly suck.

I currently own 6 Wizards (3 MTLs el34, 6L6 and KT88, MC2 KT88, a Hybrid el34 and W800 KT88, a fryette Ultra Lead and a Soldano SLO. I've had the BE100 and KSR Gemini (and currently have an Othos 2 on order)

All of these are great amps. The Wizards are my favorite followed by Fryette. They can do Death and LOG with ease (probably my 2 favorite bands). The MC2 and W800 are easier to play that stuff with a external boost, but it's not really needed if you have a strong picking hand. The SLO can get there too, but definitely need an external boost out front to tighten it up. The UL is a killer amp and it get's close to the Wizards, but the Wizards are just a notch above.

If you are going with Wizards, I definitely recommend the KT88 versions for their added thump an punch. Choosing between the MC2 and MTL, should really be more on voicing preference...the MC2 more high-mid and the MTL more low-mid. The Hybrid is a good compromise between the two, but doesn't quite have the mids of the MC2 and doesn't quite have the low-end thump of the MTL. It think a KT88 hybrid might be the ticket for me, or putting a depth knob on the hybrid instead of the contour (but then that would really just be an MTL with an MC2 high-mid voicing...which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

Looking forward to getting my KSR. I sold my Gemini because I felt my UL covered it and I had GAS for other stuff. I regretted that decision. The KSR offers a ton of versatility if you need that.

The Friedman stuff is great, but it's a little to dark, compressed and smooth for my tastes. I prefer a brighter, more raw, cutting and aggressive tone that the other amps you listed just do better.

I haven't played one myself but clips of the Driftwood Purple Nightmare are killer.

I don't mean to hijack the OP's thread but I thought I'd piggy back a little since I'm going in pretty much the same direction. Maybe some extra suggestions will be in the same realm as what the OP is looking for.

I'm lining up a couple of amp purchases over the next year or two so I can put the money aside. Looking for higher gain stuff that fits 80's heavy/thrash metal and up as well as some hard & classic rock. Most of my current high gainers are pretty polished so I'm thinking something a little more raw sounding. Like a 5150 flavor (but not a 5150/6505) and a British Marshall mod flavor. I'm more interested in supporting the small business builders rather than getting a big name something. I don't really know who all and what is out there. Though I am on Jeremy's (RedPlated) list for a Hellion. Monomyth's Skeleton Key looks damn cool, but there's not a lot of info out there for it.

So who and what all else is out there that you can recommend?

I can only pimp Kyle and the KSR Gemini from experience. Both Kyle and my Gemini are keepers.
Both the Wizard MTL and Monomyth were on my short list before I stopped buying amps.

I will be the lone idiot who now advises you to consider trying a powered Kemper before buying another amp. Only for the reason of being able to say you at least looked at it. So many great profiles out there to be had for free just from others like my guy Juggernaut who loaded my/our kemper with a shit load of stuff. The used price on a Kemper is reasonable and they are very flip-able. This would also allow you to get a taste(kinda)of many amps you may not see see in the real world.

In reality, my best advice is a Pittbull Ultralead. Fuck everything else. It will either make you a better player and you will giggle hysterically, or you will find out how much you truly suck.

Thank you for this! I should have mentioned I have an Axe FX III in my outfit. Works awesome and I liked the Kemper just as much but am very happy with the Fractal unit right now. Nothing like some tubes cooking though.

I currently own 6 Wizards (3 MTLs el34, 6L6 and KT88, MC2 KT88, a Hybrid el34 and W800 KT88, a fryette Ultra Lead and a Soldano SLO. I've had the BE100 and KSR Gemini (and currently have an Othos 2 on order)

All of these are great amps. The Wizards are my favorite followed by Fryette. They can do Death and LOG with ease (probably my 2 favorite bands). The MC2 and W800 are easier to play that stuff with a external boost, but it's not really needed if you have a strong picking hand. The SLO can get there too, but definitely need an external boost out front to tighten it up. The UL is a killer amp and it get's close to the Wizards, but the Wizards are just a notch above.

If you are going with Wizards, I definitely recommend the KT88 versions for their added thump an punch. Choosing between the MC2 and MTL, should really be more on voicing preference...the MC2 more high-mid and the MTL more low-mid. The Hybrid is a good compromise between the two, but doesn't quite have the mids of the MC2 and doesn't quite have the low-end thump of the MTL. It think a KT88 hybrid might be the ticket for me, or putting a depth knob on the hybrid instead of the contour (but then that would really just be an MTL with an MC2 high-mid voicing...which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

Looking forward to getting my KSR. I sold my Gemini because I felt my UL covered it and I had GAS for other stuff. I regretted that decision. The KSR offers a ton of versatility if you need that.

The Friedman stuff is great, but it's a little to dark, compressed and smooth for my tastes. I prefer a brighter, more raw, cutting and aggressive tone that the other amps you listed just do better.
I was hoping you would opine at some point! Your gear is amazing. MC2 KT88 sounds compelling. I have to admit I don't know a ton about those tubes, would the same wattages be available using the KT88's instead of the EL34s? I was originally looking to get something in the 50 to 100w range.

I haven't played one myself but clips of the Driftwood Purple Nightmare are killer.

I don't mean to hijack the OP's thread but I thought I'd piggy back a little since I'm going in pretty much the same direction. Maybe some extra suggestions will be in the same realm as what the OP is looking for.

I'm lining up a couple of amp purchases over the next year or two so I can put the money aside. Looking for higher gain stuff that fits 80's heavy/thrash metal and up as well as some hard & classic rock. Most of my current high gainers are pretty polished so I'm thinking something a little more raw sounding. Like a 5150 flavor (but not a 5150/6505) and a British Marshall mod flavor. I'm more interested in supporting the small business builders rather than getting a big name something. I don't really know who all and what is out there. Though I am on Jeremy's (RedPlated) list for a Hellion. Monomyth's Skeleton Key looks damn cool, but there's not a lot of info out there for it.

So who and what all else is out there that you can recommend?
No problem at all! Keep the thread going. Always curious to hear other suggestions as well. Sounds like we have very similar tastes in tones we are looking to achieve.

I was hoping you would opine at some point! Your gear is amazing. MC2 KT88 sounds compelling. I have to admit I don't know a ton about those tubes, would the same wattages be available using the KT88's instead of the EL34s? I was originally looking to get something in the 50 to 100w range.

You can get the KT88 models in a 75w or 150w format (2 KT88s vs 4 KT88s). Mine are the 150w versions and they sound just as good as the 100w versions at lower volumes. 6L6 and el34 models will either be 50w or 100w. Rick will make 40 watt versions of the MC2 or MTL using 6V6s as well.

You can get the KT88 models in a 75w or 150w format (2 KT88s vs 4 KT88s). Mine are the 150w versions and they sound just as good as the 100w versions at lower volumes. 6L6 and el34 models will either be 50w or 100w. Rick will make 40 watt versions of the MC2 or MTL using 6V6s as well.

That is interesting. The MCII 75W with the KT88s may fit the bill. So many to choose from (MCII, Hybrid, MTL) although I feel like I could not go wrong with any of those. Orthos 2 is another on my list so cool to see that one is on your list as well.

Also, what cab do you like with the KT88 heads you have? Looking to try something outside of v30s which I already have.

Last edited:
Also, what cab do you like with the KT88 heads you have? Looking to try something outside of v30s which I already have.

I have 4 Wizard cabs. 2 with v30/Creamback H75, 1 with Greenbacks and 1 with Creamback M65s. Also two Fryette cabs with Fane F70s. The wizards sound great through all of them. I like the front-loaded Fryette cabs the best for the type of music I play, but the v30/H75 combo is great too.

For me, the MCII is it. I would like to try a Hybrid. But the new MK2 MCII with the voicing switch is probably best if all worlds. I’ve had the 50, 100, and now the 150. I prefer the 150 so far.
Is that voicing switch on the MK2 MCII a new thing?

Is that voicing switch on the MK2 MCII a new thing?

It's a new pull shift on the treble knob. It kind of like a treble boost, extends the highs a little and gives it a little more aggression from what I hear. That's the only obvious difference you can see on the mkII. I did have an '18 KT150 MC2 that lacked the aggression I liked about my older el34 model. This new mkII MC2 KT-150 has a tone of aggression even without the pull. I actually don't really use the pull much at all. This is probably my second favorite amp after my KT150 MTL

eLK8ORR.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Skeleton Key and an Ares. I've also owned an Orthos and a buddy loaned me his Gemini for a couple weeks to try before I place my order for the Ares. I've played several Friedman and owned a JJ jr briefly. I bought the JJ jr after having to sell my Monomyth Superlead trying to fill that void. Needless to say it did work. The Ares is my go to amp for 75% of my playing with my Mark IV and Skeleton Key equally divided with the remaining 25%. I bought and sold a lot of amps over the past couple years and came back to Monomyth and KSR. The Ares has 2 masters so its basically 2 channels with a shared EQ. I love it even though its kind of a 1 channel amp it covers a lot of ground. I can do a slight crunch to high gain.

The Monomyth is a high gain monster and as far as high gain Marshall type its my favorite. Followed by Ceriatone, Splawn, and Friedman last. Ive owned a Kemper, HX Stomp, and QC plus tried the Neural DSP Slo plug in and I have never liked the SLO models. I know that is not a fair judgement of the actual amp but its made me adverse to trying the real one but its enough to make me not want to take that chance.

I would love to try a Wizard but I wouldnt be able to crank it so thats probably going to prevent me from ever chunking out 5k for one. Really there are only 2 amps that are on my wish list and my price range which is the KSR Juno and Omega Granophyre. Honestly we as guitarist are terrible at getting relatively the same amps repackaged with maybe 5% more features or 5% better tone. I think you have the right idea of having a specific amp to cover a range of tones. Thats what I have decided to do myself - a hot rodded marshall, a 5150 type amp, a mark series, and a KSR.

I have 4 Wizard cabs. 2 with v30/Creamback H75, 1 with Greenbacks and 1 with Creamback M65s. Also two Fryette cabs with Fane F70s. The wizards sound great through all of them. I like the front-loaded Fryette cabs the best for the type of music I play, but the v30/H75 combo is great too.

Thank you! The v30 / H75 is the speaker combo I've been eyeing up for sure. Appreciate the follow up!

I have a Skeleton Key and an Ares. I've also owned an Orthos and a buddy loaned me his Gemini for a couple weeks to try before I place my order for the Ares. I've played several Friedman and owned a JJ jr briefly. I bought the JJ jr after having to sell my Monomyth Superlead trying to fill that void. Needless to say it did work. The Ares is my go to amp for 75% of my playing with my Mark IV and Skeleton Key equally divided with the remaining 25%. I bought and sold a lot of amps over the past couple years and came back to Monomyth and KSR. The Ares has 2 masters so its basically 2 channels with a shared EQ. I love it even though its kind of a 1 channel amp it covers a lot of ground. I can do a slight crunch to high gain.

The Monomyth is a high gain monster and as far as high gain Marshall type its my favorite. Followed by Ceriatone, Splawn, and Friedman last. Ive owned a Kemper, HX Stomp, and QC plus tried the Neural DSP Slo plug in and I have never liked the SLO models. I know that is not a fair judgement of the actual amp but its made me adverse to trying the real one but its enough to make me not want to take that chance.

I would love to try a Wizard but I wouldnt be able to crank it so thats probably going to prevent me from ever chunking out 5k for one. Really there are only 2 amps that are on my wish list and my price range which is the KSR Juno and Omega Granophyre. Honestly we as guitarist are terrible at getting relatively the same amps repackaged with maybe 5% more features or 5% better tone. I think you have the right idea of having a specific amp to cover a range of tones. Thats what I have decided to do myself - a hot rodded marshall, a 5150 type amp, a mark series, and a KSR.

Thanks for this! It's so true about your statement in the last paragraph. Always chasing that tone. I appreciate that insight and I think I'm on the same page as you, just a lot earlier in the journey. I'm kind of looking to fill that hot-rodded marshall, american high gain void right now. I like my Mesa, but looking for a couple others outside of that and the KSR, Wizard, and Monomyth are the ones i'm considering the most. I feel like I'll end up with a KSR and one of the Wizard and Monomyth (maybe both?!) for that American and British high gain split.

Thanks for this! It's so true about your statement in the last paragraph. Always chasing that tone. I appreciate that insight and I think I'm on the same page as you, just a lot earlier in the journey. I'm kind of looking to fill that hot-rodded marshall, american high gain void right now. I like my Mesa, but looking for a couple others outside of that and the KSR, Wizard, and Monomyth are the ones i'm considering the most. I feel like I'll end up with a KSR and one of the Wizard and Monomyth (maybe both?!) for that American and British high gain split.

If you're in Canada, you should also look into Morris amps. He makes some killer stuff.

If you're in Canada, you should also look into Morris amps. He makes some killer stuff.

Yea i've been on his site! Seems like a genuine guy. I guess the big thing for me was I wasn't really sure which of his models would fit what I'm after. I should reach out to Glen but also curious to see if yourself or any folks here have views as well.

Last edited:
It's a new pull shift on the treble knob. It kind of like a treble boost, extends the highs a little and gives it a little more aggression from what I hear. That's the only obvious difference you can see on the mkII. I did have an '18 KT150 MC2 that lacked the aggression I liked about my older el34 model. This new mkII MC2 KT-150 has a tone of aggression even without the pull. I actually don't really use the pull much at all. This is probably my second favorite amp after my KT150 MTL
Interesting. Someone needs to compile a list of new features, switches, pull boosts, etc that are available for specific Wizard models. Then a new buyer can make an informed decision by factoring in Rick's inevitable refusal to discuss it.

Interesting. Someone needs to compile a list of new features, switches, pull boosts, etc that are available for specific Wizard models. Then a new buyer can make an informed decision by factoring in Rick's inevitable refusal to discuss it.
I recently emailed Rick about the MK2. This was his response:
Hi Jamie,

The MCII MKII is not released to the public yet.

It will have a Pull-Shift in the tone section, it will show the hidden Boost on the Rhythm Master, and has some switching system updates.

Chees, rick

Yea i've been on his site! Seems like a genuine guy. I guess the big thing for me was I wasn't really sure which of his models would fit what I'm after. I should reach out to Glen but also curious to see if yourself or any folks here have views as well.
I’ve had the Perplex’d S3 and currently have the XSIII and Wizards KT150 MCII. For my style and tastes, the MCII is a better fit. Glen prefers the slightly saggier saturated “brown sound”. I prefer the more strident in your face Wizard tone. But Morris amps are half the price, and definitely not half the amp. Probably the best bargain going. All hand wired and built by the man himself. I can’t speak highly enough about Morris amps. But what I want from an amp, I’ve only found in a Wizard.

Back