Buying Tubes

ClintN667

I decided to buy a Quad of 6l6's and Mojotone was practically sold out. Tube Depot was slightly better.

I'm kinda broke for the next couple weeks I hope I can get some 12ax7s for spares. We weren't in great shape to begin with. I kinda feel like we are going to see some fallout from this fiasco very soon(first world problems, I know but still)

I’d rather my amps sit and collect dust before I load them with expensive glass that sounds like crap just to play guitar.

It sucks to say this because it’s true, but modeler companies are rejoicing outside of the chip shortage issues/backlog/high demand

I decided to buy a Quad of 6l6's and Mojotone was practically sold out. Tube Depot was slightly better.

I'm kinda broke for the next couple weeks I hope I can get some 12ax7s for spares. We weren't in great shape to begin with. I kinda feel like we are going to see some fallout from this fiasco very soon(first world problems, I know but still)

We are already seeing the fallout from this. We can forget about getting Russia tubes and if China decides to go after Taiwan, Chinese made tubes will go as well due to trade embargoes. There’s no limit to the cost of glass when demand is high and supply is low. It certainly isn’t going to get better.

Last edited:
Glad I have enough to retube 5 or 6 amps right now. Though, I did just pay $63 for a pair of Tungsol EL34B's. Want to try them in my Runt 50.

I'm going to pick up a 12ax7s and I should be good for awhile but if it still looks bleak it maybe time to buy another modeler and call it a day.

If power amp manufacturers could figure out how to get closer to a tube power section I would totally go all digital and not worry about it but there is some sauce to a tube power section that I haven't found anywhere else yet.

I played on the newest version of the Axe Fx III two weeks ago for a few hours. It isn't going to replace tubes.

There are tubes being made in the USA that are very high quality right now. Very heavy duty. Built like a tank. I have seen them and played on them in the last few months.
Price is hundreds for each individual tube.

Isn't there only one factory currently making tubes in Asia ? I thought it was in Russia ?

I played on the newest version of the Axe Fx III two weeks ago for a few hours. It isn't going to replace tubes.
Agreed. But a lot of people are happy with the Fractal system. I had one for 9 months and then got the itch to add a Herbert. For me, it’s tube amps all the way. Sold the Fractal stuff and ordered a JP2C to add to the setup. Now to find an Uberschall.

There are tubes being made in the USA that are very high quality right now. Very heavy duty. Built like a tank. I have seen them and played on them in the last few months.

Isn't there only one factory currently making tubes in Asia ? I thought it was in Russia ?

New Sensor brands are made in Russia… JJs are made in Slovakia. The Chinese Shuguang factory is apparently shut down.

I'm not sure if there are any more factories in Asia other than Shuguang, but Shuguang is currently out.

There's the Reflektor plant in Russia and JJ in Slovakia.

I just stocked up, hopefully for a few years. Really unsettling when prices jump 30%+ and inventory is wiped out in just a few days. Reminds me of the ammo shortages and how much of a pain in the ass that was.

Ammo shortages are why I stocked up on tubes these last 2 years. It's a dead technology for the most part...except for musicians and audiophiles.

I don't want to encourage people to panic buy, but I have 17 tube amps in my collection, so I went and bought four sets of EL34 quads just in case it's awhile before we can get tubes again.

While some smaller, well known online tube retailers do seem to be raising their prices a bit, I found very reasonable deals on Reverb. Sure, it's not 2018 prices but it wasn't gouging.

I've got three sets of KT77's and some E34L's so I'm stocked for power tubes. My old 50's Mullard pre's are tough as nails so no fear of them failing for some time to come! I just want to fucking play now!

Perfect opportunity for a USA manufacturing facility to tool up and take advantage of the situation. I understand the environmental BS that’s involved, but I feel a profit can be squeezed out if done correctly. I would pay the price for a good, high quality tube that’s being built here and creating jobs.

They better start firing up oil production too. Not to get political, but it’s kind of a no brainer.

Back