Revv Generator 120 Metal (clips)

Thanks for the info man.
I'll look into the Herb...

I come from playing Egnater and Bogner to now playing a Mark V and Archon 100.
Also a 2002 BFG modified Dual Rec.
Hell ya . Some cool amps . I have a Bogner Uberschall and a mark v as well . It’s good to have variety! Good luck on your search

I love chewy. The chewier the better.
I'm not a metal guy keep in mind other than stuff like Tool, Alice in Chains, older 80s/90s metal but the stuff I love most is chewy grungy, rock, hard rock. :)
Have you tried a Marshall JVM 410H ?
That or an older 3-channel Mesa dual recto, will give you what you want.

You are depressing me now.
Lol...
I had some great speakers, pickups and amps that I've sold. I got divorced and sold off most stuff.

Now I'm getting new stuff and it sucks.
I used to have some older Bill Lawrence Gibson pickups that were creamy and fat, plus my 2005 Bogner Shiva 20th. That Shiva was my home base. I sold it to get a PRS Archon because I joined a metal band that fell apart. I miss my Shiva.

I could find another or an older XTC.
I also had a PWE Event Horizon and have a 2002 BFG modified Dual Rec.
This is my fattest amp now but the Archon I think sounds better overall.

I had a two channel DR years ago.

My buddy gigs his old Russian Bear amps and old JCM 800s with pedals and his 90s stock Marshall 412 with G12T-75s and it sound awesome.

His main amp for his classic rock and 80s rock band is a 5150!
It sounds great.
The 5150 I assume is versatile ifEVah used it?
Hahaha I'm sorry, but at least it's imo like being out of the matrix in a way. I'm not trying to be a downer, but I spent years trying so many expensive "boutique" amps and other just to later AB them with great older amps in a similar park and it just was eye opening for me. Don't me wrong, there's still plenty of great stuff being made today that to me is amazing (Naylor, Wizards, Schroeder, Alessandro, Gjika, the latter 3 are not for metal or hard rock), but none of them have to me that same raw, organic sound like the great vintage stuff. The analogy I often use is like comparing an old wooden roller coaster to a new one. The newer ones are in many ways less thrilling because its a much smoother, safer, predictable ride if that makes sense, not as rough around the edges (those "imperfections" are part of the magic to me)

Those old Bill Lawrence's are awesome. IMO those and Mighty Mite were the last of the truly great and unique sounding pickups. The Shiva's I also liked. Bogner's to me are one of the first amps that come to my mind when I think of that chewy thing you're talking about as well as my purpleface and early Recto's on the orange channel

Yes, those amps are killer with boosts. I would take a good old 800 boosted over the majority of other high gain amps out there and with the right boost (speaker and pickups too) I think it can maybe get what you're looking for or at least close to it. Maybe a Bogner modded Marshall would also be killer, but they're rare

Yes, I agree I think 5150's can be more versatile than one would think. Their inherent voicing has always been a bit too congested for my taste (even on all the recording of many of my favorite metal songs that used them), but very solid amps and for the price I think tough to rival. I may even prefer it honestly to current made Diezel's for my taste (the early ones are another story though)

Last edited:
Thanks for the info man.
I'll look into the Herb...

I come from playing Egnater and Bogner to now playing a Mark V and Archon 100.
Also a 2002 BFG modified Dual Rec.
Definitely good to try in person as much as you can. Our opinions are only that. I remember many of those Egnater's also having that chewy, thick thing you mentioned . How's that BFG modded Rec? That sounds interesting. Can't remember if I've actually tried anything BFG

How about a 5150?
Stealth?

Must be versatile if VH used it.
I have a Stealth too actually. But since like chewy is your thing I think EVH el34 head would be the one for you out of all 5150 . These are just my opinions of course but That’s what I think.

Definitely good to try in person as much as you can. Our opinions are only that. I remember many of those Egnater's also having that chewy, thick thing you mentioned . How's that BFG modded Rec? That sounds interesting. Can't remember if I've actually tried anything BFG
Honestly I’d don’t know if I ever tried an egnater . What do they sound closest too ?

I have a Stealth too actually. But since like chewy is your thing I think EVH el34 head would be the one for you out of all 5150 . These are just my opinions of course but That’s what I think.
Agreed. Everytime I've swapped 6L6's for with EL34's it got chewier and woodier, but less glassy or metallic. That being said some of the chewiest amps I've had can only take 6L6's and still sound chewy despite those tubes in them

Honestly I’d don’t know if I ever tried an egnater . What do they sound closest too ?
Depends which model. I've not tried them all, but have played a good amount. The Vengeance and Armeggadon models were more modern high gain amps that to sounded quite good until AB'ed with better amps. And by better I mean even a MW Rectifier among others sounded in another league to me. The Tweaker I remember not liking much. The Rebel and this other model that looked similar I remember having a chewy, smoky, darker sound somewhat like Bogner's, but I don't think I got to directly compare with anything else. I'd say you're probably better off just getting a Bogner for those kinda sounds. Maybe his US made amps or modded amps are better, who knows, haven't tried any of those

Bogner Shiva is rather unforgiving but the Marshall JVM is more foegivinf and chewy. Forgot about the JVM.

How forgiving and chewy are KSR amps?

Bogner Shiva is rather unforgiving but the Marshall JVM is more foegivinf and chewy. Forgot about the JVM.

How forgiving and chewy are KSR amps?
Hm I don’t remember the Shiva’s being unforgiving, but JVM’s definitely are more forgiving (some of the most forgiving of what I’ve tried). I found the JVM’s too artificial and compressed sounding for my taste. Maybe an XTC could be up your alley

KSR’s I think are chewy. I would say medium-ish in the forgiving department. Maybe there are some places where you could try these amps

Agreed. Everytime I've swapped 6L6's for with EL34's it got chewier and woodier, but less glassy or metallic. That being said some of the chewiest amps I've had can only take 6L6's and still sound chewy despite those tubes in them
I agree and I find the chewiest tubes to be 6CA7 tubes, darker and fatter than EL34s. I use these in most amps. They are a type of EL34 but a bit darker and smoother in the highs.

I have a chance to get a mint Bogner Shiva 20th and I'm tempted. I can't really afford a 20th Anniversary XTC. :(.
The Shiva has KT88s.

Some say the Shiva sounds congested and unforgiving, but I find it thick and saturated.

Then I could add a few Bogner pedals.

I would still eventually get a Revv, KSR or 3-4 channel head.

Hm I don’t remember the Shiva’s being unforgiving, but JVM’s definitely are more forgiving (some of the most forgiving of what I’ve tried). I found the JVM’s too artificial and compressed sounding for my taste. Maybe an XTC could be up your alley

KSR’s I think are chewy. I would say medium-ish in the forgiving department. Maybe there are some places where you could try these amps
I agree on the Shiva. I found it rather forgiving but it's been a while and I keep hearing guys saying it's dry and unforgiving, so I thought I forgot. Lol.

So maybe a JVM would be good for me.

Depends which model. I've not tried them all, but have played a good amount. The Vengeance and Armeggadon models were more modern high gain amps that to sounded quite good until AB'ed with better amps. And by better I mean even a MW Rectifier among others sounded in another league to me. The Tweaker I remember not liking much. The Rebel and this other model that looked similar I remember having a chewy, smoky, darker sound somewhat like Bogner's, but I don't think I got to directly compare with anything else. I'd say you're probably better off just getting a Bogner for those kinda sounds. Maybe his US made amps or modded amps are better, who knows, haven't tried any of those
I had a hand made Egnater Mod 50 and it was great!
I think of finding a Mod 100 at times.
His US made amps are every bit as good as Bogner. He is like the US version of Bogner.

I agree and I find the chewiest tubes to be 6CA7 tubes, darker and fatter than EL34s. I use these in most amps. They are a type of EL34 but a bit darker and smoother in the highs.

I have a chance to get a mint Bogner Shiva 20th and I'm tempted. I can't really afford a 20th Anniversary XTC. :(.
The Shiva has KT88s.

Some say the Shiva sounds congested and unforgiving, but I find it thick and saturated.

Then I could add a few Bogner pedals.

I would still eventually get a Revv, KSR or 3-4 channel head.
With 6CA7's I've got vintage Sylvania's, RCA's, JAN Philips ECG, GE and had US Tung-Sol's. The only current production ones I've tried have been JJ and maybe EHX (can't remember 100%). IMO the vintage American 6CA7's are little different than the JJ ones (can't say for other current ones). To me they sound more scooped, hollow compared to EL34's (that can maybe be the smoothness you're talking about. Definitely smoother/less aggressive mids), but more glassy, more extended lows. To me it's sorta like an EL34 more in the 6L6's direction. I hear them as less chewy, but maybe it's a semantic thing or maybe other current 6CA7's are different

Maybe a different version XTC could be within your budget, but I've not at all kept up with what any of the XTC's go for

I agree. I never found the Shiva's unforgiving. I can see some maybe finding the 20th Congested in some setting, but I never thought that. For me it was more that I would compare various Shiva's to things like my the Cameron modded Marshall's I had, vintage Fender's and a few other amps I had and while the Shiva's I thought were very nice amps, they just to me came off not as organic, raw or inspiring to me in comparison. I find Bogner's (except the Helios & Telos) smooth and polite for my taste, like they're always holding back a little. Even my Rev 1 Uberschall, as brutal and evil as it is, (and still one of my top 5 favorites) also still has that smooth, polished thing about it that I would prefer if it wasn't there

Last edited:
From my experience, my KSR Gemini is the overall best amp I've ever owned. My experience with Revv was not a positive one at all. I felt the amp was bland and lacked any sort of character. Unfortunately I have no input on the Shiva, but have owned a couple Uber's over the years. Based on clips though, I feel the Shiva is what your describing.

My problem with jvm is they don’t open up like any other all tube Marshall. It just won’t open at all

With 6CA7's I've got vintage Sylvania's, RCA's, JAN Philips ECG, GE and had US Tung-Sol's. The only current production ones I've tried have been JJ and maybe EHX (can't remember 100%). IMO the vintage American 6CA7's are little different than the JJ ones (can't say for other current ones). To me they sound more scooped, hollow compared to EL34's (that can maybe be the smoothness you're talking about. Definitely smoother/less aggressive mids), but more glassy, more extended lows. To me it's sorta like an EL34 more in the 6L6's direction. I hear them as less chewy, but maybe it's a semantic thing or maybe other current 6CA7's are different

Maybe a different version XTC could be within your budget, but I've not at all kept up with what any of the XTC's go for

I agree. I never found the Shiva's unforgiving. I can see some maybe finding the 20th Congested in some setting, but I never thought that. For me it was more that I would compare various Shiva's to things like my the Cameron modded Marshall's I had, vintage Fender's and a few other amps I had and while the Shiva's I thought were very nice amps, they just to me came off not as organic, raw or inspiring to me in comparison. I find Bogner's (except the Helios & Telos) smooth and polite for my taste, like they're always holding back a little. Even my Rev 1 Uberschall, as brutal and evil as it is, (and still one of my top 5 favorites) also still has that smooth, polished thing about it that I would prefer if it wasn't there
So maybe I should try my PRS Archon with E34Ls and my Mark V to see if I prefer over my 6CA7 tubes.

I used to only use EL34s.
I was told 6CA7 are the same with bigger lows. They improved my Shiva, and made it better for rhythm.

I think I found my Mark V more chewy with 34s but not as good at rhythm.

But maybe that smooth polished thing is something that just works for me? I could have a Shiva with the Bogner Red and Blue pedals and have lots at my feet.

The Shiva lacked the ability to be big and aggressive like my other more aggressive amps. Maybe a pedal like the KSR Ceres would work into the clean.

Last edited:
Back