Anyone Else Tired of Dealing With Morons When Trying To Sell Gear?

Six Stringer

It's seems all that I attract is stupid-ass, morons lately. I mean everyone thinks I'm out to steal their money. I'm about sick of it. I got told today what an item sold for new. Well that's all fine and good but what did a 1959 Gibson Les Paul Sunburst sell for originally versus what they sell for now? I offer my phone number, pics of everything, packing, final box, shipping label, their choice of carrier, etc. Not everyone in this world is a thief. I have sold and shipped $5000+ guitars all over the world. Australia, Germany , Japan and everywhere in between. Not one complaint. I had one guy in the US buy over $18000 worth of stuff over 3-4 years. All went perfectly, without a hitch. Not now. I got told recently by an individual that they "Could not do a defenseless payment". WTF?

Last edited:
Yeah, I do too. After going through all their hoops they pull some jack-ass move real close o the end. It just pisses me off royally.

Or the guys who treat an advert as an invitation to start a gear based bromance
I set a 2 question limit. Beyond that it inevitably goes nowhere and turns into a dog leg hump
That has also happened after selling big ticket pieces and I got messages at Xmas asking how I was and sharing family pics
Cut that out, I’m not that interested in people. Weirdo

i sold a micro cube to a guy, who got it, and it somehow suffered some major damage in shipping. the main board disconnected from the pots and sunk into the cabinet, even in thick box with bubble wrap. The guy sent it back and was pushy about his refund. ebay kept signing me out every time i tried to refund the guy through ebay. so stupidly i did it through paypal instead. then ebay automatically gave him a refund from my ebay account. So i'm trying to explain to this guy that he now has two refunds, and i need him to send the paypal one back to me.
He is either playing dumb and acting like he doesn't know what i am asking, or the guy is a total fuck tard. i sent screen shots of both refunds and gave him instructions on how to refund me, and now he is ignoring my emails. fun stuff.

There is a large percentage of people that won’t do long distance deals period , for them it’s not worth the hassle.
Doesn’t mean they don’t want to talk to you about buying your amp/ guitar..

I remember my first one, buying a Strategy 500 2000 miles from me on the HC classifieds back in 1998. , I was just a kid. Send the money order off, counting the days & hoping for the best. Since then I’ve done hundreds of long distance deals and only once did I receive a faulty item , which the sender paid to have repaired.

It takes some balls to do the first non protected deal.
After that it gets easier.

Unprotected deals can be strange. I will only sell F&F now, my terms. But, on large priced items I do offer 1/2 down and 1/2 upon receipt and inspection. I try to be as transparent as possible by providing multiple ways to contact me. If I am buying I will do whatever the sellers terms are. Trust is a two way street and after some communication, you can get a read.

i sold a micro cube to a guy, who got it, and it somehow suffered some major damage in shipping. the main board disconnected from the pots and sunk into the cabinet, even in thick box with bubble wrap. The guy sent it back and was pushy about his refund. ebay kept signing me out every time i tried to refund the guy through ebay. so stupidly i did it through paypal instead. then ebay automatically gave him a refund from my ebay account. So i'm trying to explain to this guy that he now has two refunds, and i need him to send the paypal one back to me.
He is either playing dumb and acting like he doesn't know what i am asking, or the guy is a total fuck tard. i sent screen shots of both refunds and gave him instructions on how to refund me, and now he is ignoring my emails. fun stuff.
Been there before.

Yes. I decided a couple of years ago to just take the hit and let my local store sell my stuff on consignment. Unless it's a small item like a pedal, I just don't have the patience to deal with the douchebaggery anymore.

it never ends, some of the messages I've gotten on my guitars listed have been so comical.
I'm sick of hearing 'well I got so and so for this before the pandemic"
Ya well I was getting gas for 1.35 a gallon before grampy took over what's your point?

I got told recently by an individual that they "Could not do a defenseless payment". WTF?

I mean yeah absolutely. Im never sending some rando with an internet screen name a friends and family payment. We're not friends. We're not family. If Im buying a piece of gear from you the protections offered by payment processors are insurance that the deal is done right for both people. The things folks ask strangers on the internet to sacrifice so they can save like $30 are absurd.

Some people are just natural shysters. He saw 2 refunds and thought it was his lucky day. A normal person would send one of the refunds back promptly, but then there is people like him. I bought a high end amp once and it arrived and didn’t work. I contacted the seller and he ignored me. I paid via PayPal gift so there was nothing I could do. It’s sad and irritating to me that there are so many people like this.

I mean yeah absolutely. Im never sending some rando with an internet screen name a friends and family payment. We're not friends. We're not family. If Im buying a piece of gear from you the protections offered by payment processors are insurance that the deal is done right for both people. The things folks ask strangers on the internet to sacrifice so they can save like $30 are absurd.

Yeah, the people that don’t want to pay the fee makes no sense in order to save a little cash. I want the protection. If someone is selling gear and they say they only take PayPal friends and family it’s an automatic no. The second I see that, I hit back icon, and continue scanning the classifieds. Unless, it’s a forum bro I trust, and there are a handful of rigtalk members I trust enough to send friends and family with zero worry.

But the number of shysters out there is staggering. Also, a lot of dudes whose greed, literally, knows no bounds. Shameful.

I had some guy ask me why am I selling said guitar? Then he said, what other guitars do you have? So I told him then added, are you interested in buying the guitar or not?

....no I can't afford it right now....but I wish!

🙄

My reply is usually 'Personal choice"

Been sick and tired of it for a few years now.

Post pics, answer all the moronic questions people come up with etc.

I had a guy wait two weeks to open a guitar I’d shipped him and then ask to return it ‘because he didn’t like it as much as he thought he would’.

Do I look like a fuckin Guitar Center to you?

I gave up hard after that.

I still buy, but I have a ton of stuff here and just recently started giving it away to friends that are less fortunate.

Called a buddy last week that was leaving on tour, asked how he was stacked for backups. Said he could use a guitar all joking like, just kidding around. Told him to stop by the next day, handed him an Ibanez RGA121, new strings, set up by the best tech in my city.

Dude was blown away, and all I could think was ‘damn glad I don’t have to try to sell that to someone that wants 231 pics and tries to get $200 off for a scratch I’d never noticed’.

I have always done research, never asked to return anything. As long as it shows up in workable condition, it gets played and whatever happens after that is on me.

Would also never buy from the serial flippers, the guys that buy 3-4 guitars a month and talk about what great players they are, and then sell them all end of the month. You’ve had this guitar 3 weeks and you’re already selling it, how good could it be?

I’ve been lucky enough to score some great deals and grab pretty much all the gear I’ve ever wanted to try, no reason to really buy anything else, or sell anything ever. I’d rather give it to someone that’ll appreciate having and using it, than trying to avoid the scam/people’s hurt feelings etc.

Was fun while it lasted, but it hasn’t been fun for like 6 years at this point….

Back