250W Marshall JCM800

I believe Hermansson modded Fredrik Thordendal’s one of these recently. I say modded, it’s really a total gut and rebuild using the chassis and transformers.

Seems to have a lot of the features that appeared in late 70’s and 80’s Marshalls where they were experimenting with trying to get channel switching, more gain and fx loops right. It’s probably more at home in a museum these days given how rare they are. That said, I bet they’re quite unique tonally (given the headroom) and the few videos of them that are on YouTube sound quite cool to me.

I believe Hermansson modded Fredrik Thordendal’s one of these recently. I say modded, it’s really a total gut and rebuild using the chassis and transformers.

Seems to have a lot of the features that appeared in late 70’s and 80’s Marshalls where they were experimenting with trying to get channel switching, more gain and fx loops right. It’s probably more at home in a museum these days given how rare they are. That said, I bet they’re quite unique tonally (given the headroom) and the few videos of them that are on YouTube sound quite cool to me.

Everything I've ever heard suggests they were big, relatively fancy for Marshall at the time, and didn't sound that great. Plus, they were stupid expensive.

no shit? to bad it sounded like dookie....
Yup. Mine was a white anniversary edition too, how many JCM 2000s you think they made in white ??? Six 6550s. Fucking LOUD as fuck. Massive transformers. Unfortunately neither the Superlead or the Master Volume “channels” sounded like the amps they were derived from. Cool collector piece, but impractical ultimately. I got mine from a kid and his dad that came into a music store I was at with a friend of mine. They were trying to trade it in to get a different amp for the kid to use and the store wouldn’t take it in trade. I saw this going down and followed them out to the parking lot and offered them a couple hundred in cash… they took it and I went home with the beast. I sold it a few years later to a collector for more than I paid but probably not what it was worth. Live and learn. Lol

Last edited:

Hermanson has amazing work . I’d love to hear it at that wattage . I actually thought this post was about that amp at first

Back