Favorite pickup for metal.

I always seem to come back to emgs. Have 81/60, 81/81, 81/85, and a het set. 85 my least favorite. Het set has really grown on me.

i have a L500XL here i just got im gonna put in my old carvin v220, kind of excited for that
You wouldn't happen to be looking to unload the old bridge pickup would you? Asking for a friend:
IMG_20221107_195445815.jpg

used EMG 81 in my bridge since 89 or 90............ then about 5 years ago .... girlfriend bought me a LP Tribute .... just for poops and giggles I put a Duncan JB in the bridge ....... now all my guitars equipped with humbuckers have a JB in the bridge ...

The 85 has more mids which usually means less muddy. the 85 is the hottest pickup EMG Makes.
More lower mids, though, which means more stuffy.

I like both the 81 and 85, personally. But I prefer the 81. The 85 has this kind of subdued attack that sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

Also, pretty sure the Het Bridge and the 57 are hotter (from the standard line). At least from the ones I've tried. You're right, though. The 85 is pretty hot. Hotter than the 81 for sure.

I have to say unless I was playing the BLUSA L500XL(and it was flipped) into my compete Dime setup it was thin sounding and not pleasant at all into my Marshall's. It was killer for Dime stuff and that was it. Maybe the Bill and Becky Wilde L500XL has a fuller low end I have one but haven't installed it yet.

What caught my ear was the new Wes Hauch Jupiter 6 pickups and to my ears is like an L500XL with more clarity and fuller low end that's still tight. I bought one of these as well but have not installed it because the guitar is not built yet but I'm looking forward to hearing it.

The Jupiter is flat out incredible sounding to me. I need to get a set asap

Seymour Duncan Black Winter on a Warmoth King V with Arcade neck (mahogany body + mahogany neck + ebony fretboard). --> LETHAL.

Emg 81 on the other 2 Warmoths I got.

It’s not just guitar dependent, it’s everything else dependent too. That said, I’m loving the Tonenerd Roxy right now. I always liked the EMG81 but always wanted a little more sizzle. But I’m not really metal by todays standards so I still love the PAF-y stuff too.

Back