Song with definitive Tri Axis tone

Techdeth

RESIDENT ROCK PROFESSOR
What’s a track that shows of the Mesa Boogie Triaxis . I know it’s on Load and Reload and some Sepultura but what’s a song just all triaxis ?

Not the best production, but I believe nevermore politics of XTC was a triaxis. I’ve heard also mkIV, but loomis in the early days was a big Mesa triaxis guy. Listen to the seven tongues of god. Dreaming neon black I believe was too. The title track of that record’s tone is super heavy, very Mesa’ish in the gain structure and low end.

for a preamp that's so famous, i can't think of anyone who's really made it their tone for any lengthy time.

Metallica would be closest, but they use it as a blend from what I know

It's all over Chaos AD and Roots paired with a Strategy 500 power amp, and Andreas is one of the only users I can think of who really capitalized on Lead II Red, which is a pretty unique (and great) sound to the Triaxis. A Mark III or IV are a bit similar, but different. You can pretty much cop his settings here:

It's all over Chaos AD and Roots paired with a Strategy 500 power amp, and Andreas is one of the only users I can think of who really capitalized on Lead II Red, which is a pretty unique (and great) sound to the Triaxis. A Mark III or IV are a bit similar, but different. You can pretty much cop his settings here:

Did he use it on their version of Symptom of the Universe. I fuvking love that tone

Did he use it on their version of Symptom of the Universe. I fuvking love that tone
It has to be. It sounds exactly like a well recorded LDII Red on that track with the gain and eq cranked.

I played one for many years, and still have a few Marks around. They are similar, but the Triaxis has a certain 'pop' to the strings I miss. It lets some of your clean sound through with the distortion. Some people hate it for exactly that. It's unique, and you can also really notice it on the live Petrucci recordings when he digs in with single notes. I think it's a cool sound for certain things.

Trying to better answer your question, for me the definitive Triaxis tone is the Live in Tokyo solo. Mainly Lead II Yellow. The unique attack on the notes, the cleanliness even at the higher gain settings, the placement of the midrange and the distortion's 'grain' in the top end is all there:

I guess on another note I think this is also the definitive Petrucci clip, at least for me. Best thing I've ever heard him play.

It was disappointing after they got their new fancy-pants keyboard player, on a later video they made light of this particular clip how Kevin Moore was just sitting on one chord, like it was a bad/boring thing. Thank god he did, in order to make room for a fantastic piece of music to evolve and some jamming to occur.

One part of this was always a mystery to me, during the part where he is playing the Beatles theme with the volume swells, where is the flanging sound coming from on the delays? He had a 2290 and a PCM-70 in the rack, and I wonder if it was the combination of both or just a preset on one to accomplish it. Either way it's awesome.

Last edited:
It has to be. It sounds exactly like a well recorded LDII Red on that track with the gain and eq cranked.

I played one for many years, and still have a few Marks around. They are similar, but the Triaxis has a certain 'pop' to the strings I miss. It lets some of your clean sound through with the distortion. Some people hate it for exactly that. It's unique, and you can also really notice it on the live Petrucci recordings when he digs in with single notes. I think it's a cool sound for certain things.
Hell ya . My friend wants me to buy his someday . They symptom tone kicks ass . Great info man

Trying to better answer your question, for me the definitive Triaxis tone is the Live in Tokyo solo. Lead II Yellow. The unique attack on the notes, the cleanliness even at the higher gain settings, the placement of the midrange and the distortion's 'grain' in the top end is all there:

I guess on another note I think this is also the definitive Petrucci clip, at least for me. Best thing I've ever heard him play.

I been on a Petrucci kick . Constant Motion and Dark Eternal Night and Lie have been getting broken down

It was disappointing after they got their new fancy-pants keyboard player, on a later video they made light of this particular clip how Kevin Moore was just sitting on one chord, like it was a bad/boring thing. Thank god he did, in order to make room for a fantastic piece of music to evolve and some jamming to occur.

This quote is a microcosm of why I think dream theater is a terrible band full of people who can't write music 🤣

Their technical skills are undeniable, certainly, but Jesus Christ man

This quote is a microcosm of why I think dream theater is a terrible band full of people who can't write music 🤣

Their technical skills are undeniable, certainly, but Jesus Christ man
Damn I know it. I actually walked out of the DT show the last time I saw them. Only time in my entire life I did that at a concert. So boring.

The Dregs had opened, and they were amazing. Morse's solo spot was in a similar space to Petrucci's '93 solo, but on an even higher level. Very melodic and went on a journey. Too bad the DT guys weren't listening anymore.

Back