Why does Polyphia's tone bug the hell out of me?

Matt300ZXT

Sure, they're fantastic musicians and stupid creative, as they've kinda rewritten modern rock guitar, but why do I hate their tone so much? I can listen to their music some, but I've never bought any of their cds or downloaded any of their music. I'm YouTubing sound clips of my fav DiMarzio single coil and not Tim, but the other one, had a video pop up from DiMarzio since he uses a variant of the pickup...and I just can't stand the tone. Sure, phenomenal guitarist and I'll never reach a fraction of his talent level, but man....that tone.

Because you’re a boomer and you don’t understand.
giphy.gif

I don't even hate these guys anymore. They just use hyper overprocessed tones. But they both can outplay the shit out of me..what can ya do? I think they are just making basically rap music now. It's not for everyone, but I won't hate.

I think they've gotten better with every album. The new record is quite good, the guest vocalists and focus on songs instead of whacking off on a fretboard is paying off. That said, my only real gripe is that they are all so good and use such processed tones that it doesn't sound "real". Never heard a hihat sound that crisp and note for note consistent/perfect in real life...

It's not music that moves me, but watching that kid play is draw-dropping. The tone serves it's purpose, I guess. I need songs and riffs, that shit is honestly maybe too talented to ever grab me. I don't really get into "guitar music" anyway, even the oldschool guys.

It sounds like guitar tone that just came out of the womb. Totally naked and undeveloped...so undeveloped that even tho it's clean its still a little distorted too. It needs some vacuum tube aging and maturing to sound right to me. But then, I prefer EVH early tone to his later tone so yeah maybe I'm a boomer that doesn't understand.

Well the good news for them or any other artist in that genre is that you can play out of your iPhone streamed to a PA and still get that sound. Saves you tons of cash on investing in amps (y)

True...invest in stupid haircuts and clothing...
And tattoos...

I have tried several times to get into them but I guess I am old and don't understand. And I am fine with that.

True...invest in stupid haircuts and clothing...
And tattoos...
It's not like musicians have ever dressed like weirdos before. Half this board worships hair metal, then turn around to make fun of these zoomer kids for looking feminine. :ROFLMAO:

I ain't into Polyphia but at least it's guitar based music that's getting tons of attention, hitting on some new ground even though it's not my bag, and it's not Lil Pillhead or whatever the fuck.

It's not like musicians have ever dressed like weirdos before. Half this board worships hair metal, then turn around to make fun of these zoomer kids for looking feminine. :ROFLMAO:

I ain't into Polyphia but at least it's guitar based music that's getting tons of attention, hitting on some new ground even though it's not my bag, and it's not Lil Pillhead or whatever the fuck.
You're wrong . Alot of the hair metal dudes could actually play --Like it or not . LOL !This board worships 13 gain pedals into an Uberschall tuned to C sharp with zero melody . Chugga Chugga Chugga !

Back