Mesa Boogie - Current Market Buzz?

Strandberg Junkie

Banned
Been over two years now since the Gibson sale.
Haven't been following anything with how it's been going with new stuff as well as the market for used.
Any crazy stuff gone down with Boogie?

I'm still sitting on a III red with fresh filter caps.
rXZUonO.jpg

Other than the website, Gibson hasn’t really changed much at all about Mesa… yet.

There’s a rumor that the Mark VI is coming out sometime this year so I suppose that if it’s priced at $7,999 and comes in a wooden headshell that’s got the most gaudy, outdated fancy woodworking design carvings possible all over it that would make even the most expensive looking 1800’s Old Western stage coach blush, and it’s painted in lime green sunburst, and it’s also offered in a relic’d version that’s $2,000 extra… then we’ll know Gibson has really dug its claws in.

Last edited:
Been over two years now since the Gibson sale.
Haven't been following anything with how it's been going with new stuff as well as the market for used.
Any crazy stuff gone down with Boogie?

I'm still sitting on a III red with fresh filter caps.
rXZUonO.jpg
@DemNuts why fresh filter caps? I recently got my Mark III Red Stripe HRG 3+ modded by Mike B.

He told me not to change the filter caps. Those vintage caps are reliable and he hasn't seen many fail.

sure am glad to have a mark III back in the house; a blue stripe long head with geq/verb and came with nice tubes, the rhythm 2 and lead footswitch and instruction manual.

interesting that it doesn’t get as loud as quickly on the master as other mark boogies i’ve owned and played. not sure why it’s like that but i love it. feels fatter and warmer.

Heard some rumors that the Mark VII is getting released next Tuesday. Supposedly with Covid and all that shit, they scrapped the Mark VI.

If the Mark 6 was just a Mark V but with concentric gain pots in channels 2 and 3 to bring back the old "gain" and "drive" controls, and the Fat mode was a clone of the Lonestar, and the Tweed mode was a clone of the California Tweed, I'd be happy with it.

I do wonder if they're going to do their channel cloning thing with the Mark 6 though like they've been doing with their latest amps like the Fillmore and Badlander. I could see them doing something crazy like having 4 channels, each switchable between the 9 modes, so you can have whatever combination of 4 sounds you like. If you think about it, the Mark V:25 is about half the size of a full size head (not a medium Mark chassis, but an actual full size head like a Marshall) so I could see them using Mark V:25-sized pots and switches, and doubling that front panel to make that kind of design work.

Whatever the case may be, considering the timing of things, this could very well be the last amp Randall Smith ever designs, or at the very least, the last one has full creative control over, and he probably knows it. So I'd bet he's working his ass off on this one. Hopefully it turns out good.

Last edited:
Definitely looks like something is coming based off of their Social Media posts.

Perhaps this is the amp that was in the background of that infamous Hetfield pic?

My guess is that this is one of several posts. If they make another post about the Mark II, then my money is on some official Mark II reissue. But if their next post is about the Mark III, then my money is on a count up of all the Mark amps until they reveal the Mark VI.
Althought a Mark IIC+ reissue would be bad ass, I'd think it may be another new modern Mark of some sort.

The social media post called out their past innovations (channel switching, tube buffered loop, etc), which go hand-in-hand with that series.

If it is a new Mark, one could only wonder how they'd top the JP-2C and what the hell they'd jam into it.

My guess is that this is one of several posts. If they make another post about the Mark II, then my money is on some official Mark II reissue. But if their next post is about the Mark III, then my money is on a count up of all the Mark amps until they reveal the Mark VI.
So, there was a Mk VI that was given to artists only; this was posted here a while back. Less than 20 made?
I’d imagine we’re looking at the Mk VII.

I’ve been hearing the 22nd for an announcement and something to do with lots of switches. Not sure if that’s switch jacks or pedals.

Man.. I would love a mark series that has the badlander type format where you can assign the channels. Honestly though I'm just excited for a new Mark series. I haven't tried a V or JP2C but this just means I can skip those two.

Back