Matamp style pedal choices

skoora

What are some pedals doing the cranked Matamp thing but also with good medium drive tones? I always hear demo’s where it’s full on and they all sound the same but the amps themselves get some great crunchy and light gain tones as well. Is there a pedal that capture that as well as the Mt Doom sounds?

What are some pedals doing the cranked Matamp thing but also with good medium drive tones? I always hear demo’s where it’s full on and they all sound the same but the amps themselves get some great crunchy and light gain tones as well. Is there a pedal that capture that as well as the Mt Doom sounds?
I've got a few " doomish " oriented pedals coming out in a few weeks or so .... probably after Xmas ...
a Sunn Model T Pre Amp and a highly tweaked Big Muff Variation I'm calling " Anubis
https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/threads/sunn-model-t-pre-amp-pedal-coming-soon.285948/
1701136678656.jpeg

The whole stacking thing gets too much for me. Plus all these demo’s are of the full on, kill small animals settings, or a very dull “clean” sound. That’s not helped by the guitars are always tuned to M. I’ve seen some demo’s of Matamps and the Science Amp’s Earthling where the lower to medium gain settings were dare I say, Jangly and a great medium rock, rhythm tone But different from a Marshall, Vox or Fender. Just having a hard time with spending 2k or more on amp whose sound I would use every now and then. So, a single pedal that gets close would be awesome.

Magic Pedals hinted another DA-120 batch soon.

Kuro T120 & Dunn Effects Green Priest are also good ones.
The DA-120 had definitely piqued my interest. Just haven’t seen a demo of lower gain ( not Clean) tones. I’ll search for vids on the others.

Last edited:
The DA120 can definitely cop some nice mid gain tones and the FAC works very well. I don’t know if you’ll get all the way to the clean of a turned down matamp, but definitely NMV with gain on 5 sorta territory.

I don’t remember get anything approaching by jangly with the green priest, but it captures the gainier side of the gt120 pretty well.

The Model FET doesn’t really sound like a matamp, but it might scratch the itch and has a few sonic similarities. The DA-120 comes closer but $$$.

There’s also Pepers Green Pepers which I think excels at the mid-gain sounds but isn’t as well suited to go all the way to dopesmoker tones.

The DA120 can definitely cop some nice mid gain tones and the FAC works very well. I don’t know if you’ll get all the way to the clean of a turned down matamp, but definitely NMV with gain on 5 sorta territory.

I don’t remember get anything approaching by jangly with the green priest, but it captures the gainier side of the gt120 pretty well.

The Model FET doesn’t really sound like a matamp, but it might scratch the itch and has a few sonic similarities. The DA-120 comes closer but $$$.

There’s also Pepers Green Pepers which I think excels at the mid-gain sounds but isn’t as well suited to go all the way to dopesmoker tones.
Or I could start a Go Fund Me for a trip to Matamp in the U.K from Atlanta, so I could play everything they have and get a custom amp….😃

Many years ago I came across a model that was called a GTL I believe, in a music store in Sydney, Australia. It was like their take on an 800. It was such a fantastic rock sound and if I was living there and not just visiting, I would have bought it. They discontinued it soon after so hopes of ordering one later were somewhat dashed.

While Not a perfect vid in regards to amp and guitar used compared to what I would do, I appreciate this guy doing different sounds on the DA-120

I am amazed at how many people have figured out a way to tweak a big muff and sell it for a few hundred dollars. I just realized for the heavier tones I could just get a Behringer super fuzz for 30 bucks….lol

Many years ago I came across a model that was called a GTL I believe, in a music store in Sydney, Australia. It was like their take on an 800. It was such a fantastic rock sound and if I was living there and not just visiting, I would have bought it. They discontinued it soon after so hopes of ordering one later were somewhat dashed.
The current GT1 basically combines the GTL and GTO circuits into a single head. I haven't played it side-by-side with an OG GTL, but I really dig the GT1. Quite reasonably priced IMO if you do want to step to owning a head.

I am amazed at how many people have figured out a way to tweak a big muff and sell it for a few hundred dollars. I just realized for the heavier tones I could just get a Behringer super fuzz for 30 bucks….lol
and you can get a Bugera for 300 ..... it's all relative .... I've seen enough schematics in my time now ...... I realized years ago .. ALL the pedals we have today ..... are just tweaked versions of the original 7 or 8 pedals that came out late 60's into the late 70's ... with a few exceptions along the way .... I don't count anything digital .

and you can get a Bugera for 300 ..... it's all relative .... I've seen enough schematics in my time now ...... I realized years ago .. ALL the pedals we have today ..... are just tweaked versions of the original 7 or 8 pedals that came out late 60's into the late 70's ... with a few exceptions along the way .... I don't count anything digital .
If I was playing live I would care about build quality but just playing at home, cheaper is fine if the sound is there. The pedal goes in a rack drawer and isn’t even stepped on. I have a Joyo analog delay that costs $34 on Amazon that sounds great and I have a Flint, where after tax you would be close putting a zero on the end of the price of the Joyo. I care only about the sound. FWIW my last amp cost me 2500 plus tax and I wouldn’t say no to a Bugera Tri Rec. They actually sound very good.

If I was playing live I would care about build quality but just playing at home, cheaper is fine if the sound is there. The pedal goes in a rack drawer and isn’t even stepped on. I have a Joyo analog delay that costs $34 on Amazon that sounds great and I have a Flint, where after tax you would be close putting a zero on the end of the price of the Joyo. I care only about the sound. FWIW my last amp cost me 2500 plus tax and I wouldn’t say no to a Bugera Tri Rec. They actually sound very good.
I'm curious to the Matamp sound myself ....... but it's like you can't find a demo of one without a Fuzz in front of it .... lol

I'm not a Doomer at all ........ but some of the tones really remind me of early Sabbath records in a way ... which I love .... so I started dabbling in some of the more popular circuits ..... I'll know in a few weeks how I made out .....
the stuff I've tried in the past has sounded amazing when it's just the guitar ...... but cutting through a mix can be a big problem ....

I'm curious to the Matamp sound myself ....... but it's like you can't find a demo of one without a Fuzz in front of it .... lol

I'm not a Doomer at all ........ but some of the tones really remind me of early Sabbath records in a way ... which I love .... so I started dabbling in some of the more popular circuits ..... I'll know in a few weeks how I made out .....
the stuff I've tried in the past has sounded amazing when it's just the guitar ...... but cutting through a mix can be a big problem ....
This is quite old but it’s one of the only, maybe only vid I found of a Matamp (1224GT) playing regular rock. Unfortunately they recorded it with a cheese grater so the sound is pretty harsh but I feel there’s the bones of a great cutting, barking tone in there. Really dig the switching options for power and the footswitch on this particular one.

This is quite old but it’s one of the only, maybe only vid I found of a Matamp (1224GT) playing regular rock. Unfortunately they recorded it with a cheese grater so the sound is pretty harsh but I feel there’s the bones of a great cutting, barking tone in there. Really dig the switching options for power and the footswitch on this particular one.

Interesting .... not bad at all .....

Back